Member rating system

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Member rating system

Post by Mr_piechee »

druchii has lots of members, and lots of them write loads of rubbish, and lots of them are very helpfull. i've seen a system on other forums where under each post there is a little scoring systme where readers/posters can rate a post/poster on what they have writen. this will mean that people get credit for there posts and those that post worthwhiel things will get higher credit. i can see lots of ways this could be abused, like some1 marking low just cause some1 doesn't go there way, but they would be the ones getting a low score themselves....

i think that if it was done in javascript then it wouldn't disrbt the 'posing of pages' and mean that the page doesn't have to be reloaded. if a system of 5 or 10 'stars' was used then people with a low rating couldn't make threads, and couldn't rate others. that way the mods would have a little less work gettign rid of rubbish. all new members could start below this so they need to get a few gd ratings before they can post, but this may creat issues and go against the idea of the forum.

i think its an idea, that might be worth while, but its down to what u guys think, and more importantly the what the mods think. could it happen? i think it would mainly be a thing of post count. personally i don't care what my post count is but alot of people reguard it highly. i used to ignor it but have recently been noticing it more as there seems to be rubbish associated with low counts.. but i read a replie some time in the week where some1 who have broken the 1k mark, and was posting somthign you would expect form a new member... so thats what sparked the idea...
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
The liger
Malekith's Pet Cat

Post by The liger »

I think it would bring in far too much elitism, and just put emphasis on "good members" and "bad members". Also, would the post ratings, or user ratings be public, or just for the system? I suppose having it private would be ok, but I think it's a bit unfair that people with bad ratings wouldn't be able to post. That would just cause bitterness, and also, as you said, the system would be open for abuse. Also, just because someone generally doesn't post well shouldn't mean that they can't post at all.

Also, is it necessary? I don't really think so, it's an interesting idea, but I doubt it would be too easy to implement now, and it doesn't add much IMO. The report function is there to alert mods of bad posts, and that should be enough I think.
"Purrrrr...."

Venkh wrote:I wish i had been told about the "A-Team effect" that druchii experience with their shooting.

i.e. move into position, huge ammounts of shooting, nobody gets killed.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

agrees with liger, people say we are elitist enough as it is ;)
Ilokir lúinwë
Asur Bane

Post by Ilokir lúinwë »

people say we are elitist enough as it is

that's because we are elves... envy is the word that fits here ;)

I have to agree with Liger and Linda. It would create a diversion between good and bad posters, which would be frown upon. In one way, there is yet a diversion between 'regular' posters and 'less regular' posters due to the post count of the individual posters. When I first posted on D.net, I was more eager to follow the advice of senior posters, than the advice of novice members, as I was then...
I think the post count is a good thing, and isn't necessary to be altered, it doesn't say anything about the quality of the posts. When you do that, it would openly ostracise certain members. The only way to intervene imo, is by mod-power. They should be the only ones with the power to accuse some-one of bad posts, and to take measures against specific bad posters.

just my thoughts,
Ilokir
Class: Warrior
Ws: 6 dex: 4 str: 4 T: 3 Int: 4
Skills: Awareness, Defensive fighting, Parry
Equipment: Medium armor, Longsword, 2 Throwing daggers, 50 gold coins

Don't forgive, don't forget
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

I don't think Druchii.net needs such a system although I've seen it on other forums. Those posters who post inadequately usually stop by themselves after a few posts/days/weeks. The moderators have things well enough in hand here. Had that not been the case, the suggestion would sound better.

Also, the idea of denying beginners to post sort of defeats the purpose of a forum since those people are usually the ones with the questions.
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

Agrees that a member rating system isn't needed, there are enough comments about the long-running members and mods being elitist as it is and don't need anything that may encourage things.

With the new report button it is easy to send a message to the appropriate mod if you think a post is bad so action can be taken.

We all get frustrated by new members asking questions that have been asked a 1000 times, but a solution hasn't appeared yet and it seems unlikely it ever will, stopping them from posting new threads would IMO just mean they would leave the site very quickly.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bring on the dancing squirrels!

Consolecommunity.com - For all your gaming chat and meet-ups
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

well funnily enough the most of the thread i rote the less i thought of it...

but i think it would be a nice addition, although how I’ve suggested it may not be the best method. Perhaps a system to show the quality of the thread starter in the title, so that people can click on 'more interesting' topics... but i can then see new members not getting the help they need...

it could lead to a Honorary board though, where only those that have ernt the respect of other members can post... a bit like a mod board but for member chosen peeps...
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

i also feel we do not need one for the reasons stated above among others. who gets the last say on if a queston/comment is a bad one. also if you need a rating system to know who writes rubbish and who does not i am sad. what would the honorary board discuss that can't be discussed Elsewhere? how they got into the club? i just do not see it doing any good IMHO.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
General kala
Blasphemer and Heretic
Blasphemer and Heretic
Location: Sowing the seeds of evil in the hills of Austin, TX

Post by General kala »

Well, there is another issue. All the sociological reasons aside, the member rating fuction is part of the core functionality of some of the open-source forums. Druchii.net uses a modified phpBB forum that doesn't include member ratings.

Also, Javascipt will never work. Yes, it wouldn't interfere with the page loads. But Javascript won't interact with the member database. It's the wrong type of database. It would have to be written into the PHP.

Sorry, Mr Piechee. It's just not practical to implement since it wasn't installed from the very beginning.
Because anyone vicious enough to shoot down her own battlecruiser because there might be a traitor at the helm deserves to have a Druchii namesake.
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

Arrr.. i asumed it was all writen in pure code php.. i hadn't relised it used a 'package' style thing... well that would make it alot harder to implment!
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I, being the non-confrontationist that I am :roll:, agree with everyone here. Yes, it would be good for the forum, giving an option to do something about the members that find a way to bother everyone and mess up threads without actually breaking any rules. On the other hand, it could result in extreme elitism and would be difficult to implement.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Blitz
Slave on the Altar

Re: Member rating system

Post by Blitz »

Mr_PieChee wrote: all new members could start below this so they need to get a few gd ratings before they can post

Im new on here and wonderin by what u just said if newbies need rating to post and you can get rating by doing good posts newbies can never post because they cant be rated
I Let them come together to Evoke the Ninth, the Teste Morte, which is the Skull, the Mask of Death Revealed
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Re: Member rating system

Post by Rork »

blitz wrote:Im new on here and wonderin by what u just said if newbies need rating to post and you can get rating by doing good posts newbies can never post because they cant be rated

Please use some grammar. People will love you if you do. People will take more notice of posts if they are well thought out and are readable - Just a note while we're on the subject of good reputations.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Blitz
Slave on the Altar

Post by Blitz »

Im new on here and wonderin, by what u just said if newbies need rating to post, and you can get rating by doing good posts, newbies can never post because they cant be rated.

that better?
I Let them come together to Evoke the Ninth, the Teste Morte, which is the Skull, the Mask of Death Revealed
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

blitz wrote:Im new on here and wonderin, by what u just said if newbies need rating to post, and you can get rating by doing good posts, newbies can never post because they cant be rated.

that better?

Yes it is better. However there is no need to double post like that . Simple editing would work fine. Now to find someone to clean this up...
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Andruillius
Highborn

Post by Andruillius »

Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:agrees with liger, people say we are elitist enough as it is ;)

Maybe 1 and a half years ago, when D.net was a good site...
Unofficial and self-appointed ambassador of
www.battleglade.com
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

blitz wrote:Im new on here and wonderin, by what u just said if newbies need rating to post, and you can get rating by doing good posts, newbies can never post because they cant be rated.

that better?

Good, we're getting there. But let's just bring it up to the next level, eh? Let's show these people you're so damn good at this game. Or at least make them believe, because bluffing is useful (Works for me :P ).

blitz wrote:I'm new on here and wondering, by what you just said if newbies need rating to post, and you can get rating by doing good posts, newbies can never post because they can't be rated.

And as for the grammar...it's good enough. The trick is to read it through and make sure your eyes aren't watering at the end. If your eyes are watering, put some punctuation in. It doesn't have to be perfect, but then even I end up guessing some of this grammar lark ;).

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Andruillius wrote:Maybe 1 and a half years ago, when D.net was a good site...

This may be so, but lets not get into that, ok? I think that might some kind of hurt feelings from the new people who weren't here then and may or may not start a flame war.

Rork wrote:put some punctuation in.

This is good advice Rork. But for the good of this site, make sure you don't put too much punctuation in. Its just as bad as putting none at all.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

And lets take an entirely random and anonymous post to illustrate "When Grammar goes Bad"

Jeez i'm confused. I just want a monster of a CC army!! So help me do that!!! That Cauldron of Blood is best complimented by CC troops!! What should I take?!?!?

Nice, eh?

Jeez i'm confused.

Ok, grammatically it should read "Jeez, I'm confused." Pretty minor on our scale of Crimes against the English language.

I just want a monster of a CC army!! So help me do that!!! That Cauldron of Blood is best complimented by CC troops!!

Just remember children, you don't need to emphasise emphasis. One ! gets the job done just as well as !! (Or !!!111one!! or whatever).

Resist the urge to keep on pressing the key! (See, I can do it) If you're excited, one conveys the point very well. It's like they planned it that way.

What should I take?!?!?

Nice. So that's three question marks. Why would that make it more of a question? Because you have this psychotic urge to force them to give you the answer? Are we being interrogated by ze secret service and must give ze anzwers, ya? No!

It makes people think "Why should I answer you if you keep on beating my eyes through the medium of text?" It helps to be nice to people. You can't grab them by the shoulders and shake them until they lie limbless on the floor screaming "Three...oh god the answer is three! My arms..."

And think of it this way. It requires less energy to type a single ! or ? . So for all you lazy sorts out there, !?!?! takes more effort! See, I'm even encouraging you to a certain level of laziness.

Simple.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

Nice Rork, promoting laziness over the internet. :P

I always get the image of someone yelling at the computer screen when someone emphasises emphasis with those multiple !'s...
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Banshee
Highborn
Location: I say go, she say yes, Dim the light, you can guess the rest!

Post by Banshee »

Perhaps it would help to have an appendix added to the forum rules informing about certain things not allowed in posts like excessive punctuation, multiple !'s and ?'s, constant refusal to use capitals on the beginning of a sentence (or in the case of the word "I"), etc. This would give Mods (and other posters) something to point certain users to. At the moment we can just kindly ask them to improve their spelling, grammar,... but we have no rule to base this on.
Damnation wrote:And remember, every time you use excessive punctuation, a random brain lobe deactivates itself.
Cenyu wrote:Warhammer: Age of Reckoning: Introducing BOB ROSS as Malekith's new personal paint artist!
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

txt speak is illegal. So we can do slapage for that, but really making rules over the quality of the written language is going a bit far, especially given that not every one on the site has English as their first language.

@Blitz: Rather then go on about your posting I'll just answere the question. No you don't need any rating or anything like that. You just post, and depending on the quality of your posts you get varrying qualities of replies... :D
Pleased to be back
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

i think if u restrict what people can say and how they acn say it too much the mods will just be hated for inforcing it weather they agree with it or not.

that better?

i often use bad grammer mainly cause i'm rubbish at spelling grammer etc etc, but is usally cause i type to fast... anyway, if u read my post u'll notice that what u've writen (twice) is rubbish! i said that new members or members with a lwo rating can't make threads. they can still post

anyway, i understand that this was a bad idea now, but its nice to know your opinions on it. as for grammer, isn't it fun trying to work out what people are trying to say sometimes? and txt speak may be 'illegal' but theres so many abbreviations for drucchi things that we have our own txt speak, most of whihc arn't writen up so it takes a while for me to twig what people are talking about. i will read a post with the FAQ list of abbreviations open beside it so i can work out whats going on. but there are alot of them.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

If we are on Honesty let me put on the record that I find Mr-Pichees quality of writing hideous, which makes me less inclined to reply to his threads or take him seriously. Infact Blitz I think your writing is better then MPCs, and I would strongly advise MPC to consider putting more effort in, and loosing the txt speak (different to abreviations).
Pleased to be back
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Mr_PieChee wrote:but is usally cause i type to fast...

Then...

Slow

Down.

(Or use the delete key a bit, I'm not fussed)

It isn't a race to post something, so just take your time and read over it once or twice to check it looks OK. If you can't type fast, don't try to.

I certainly don't expect everyone to have perfect spelling in every post, but it's worth making some effort - the more you put in the more you are likely to get out of it since people will be able to read what you say without wincing.

+++ Team Mulligans +++