Dark Elf Bases

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Storm
Dark Rider

Dark Elf Bases

Post by Storm »

Hi all,

I've been trying to decide how to paint my DEs (some are already painted, but i'm not quite happy with them.) I think i'd quite like to go for a fiery colour scheme which isn't too much of a problem, the only dilemna is how to do the bases. I really can't decide how to do them...at first i thought of scorched earth like there would be in the chaos-like part of Naggaroth, but i don't know how i'd make this effect. How do you think i should do the bases?

Thanks,
Storm.
Eternal hater of the bearded ones.
Druchii1988
Beastmaster

Post by Druchii1988 »

The reason I took just plain green bases is because my battle table is entirely flocked green. If I wasn't depending on my battle table I would probably go for bases covered in snow. There is no better way to reflect our cold nature...
Storm
Dark Rider

Post by Storm »

The trouble is i don't want snowy bases because that is what my VCs have on their bases so i wanted something different. Any other suggestions?
Dread_knight_999
Warrior

Post by Dread_knight_999 »

i did the exact same thing as vinschent for the exact same reason
Sv_harlequin
Assassin

Post by Sv_harlequin »

I went with a Beach look after all they are raiders.
Mal: Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood. Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right.
Storm
Dark Rider

Post by Storm »

Ok, but i think i want to try to go with a chaos wasteland sort of basing. How could i do this?
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/ ... a/Tree.jpg

that is how i did mine (yes I know it isnt a noble druchii on the base but one of my "trees"). just paint the base with sunburst yellow, add the sand, seal the sand with a layer of watered down PVA, then red ink, drybrush watered down sunburst yellow, and then drybrush chaos black.

you could also go with a more grey look by using a dark first coat and then using different grey colours to highlight it up. (doing this on my new druchii but my camera is broke so cant show you).

Both methods work well. Another way is to simply use sand and the odd patches of dryish grass.

It depends on what colours your minis are, you need a base that contrasts in a good way, if your models are very dark then dont pick a dark base as it just ends up like a big dark blob.
Storm
Dark Rider

Post by Storm »

Looks nice Linda, i will look out for pics of the method you're using on your new Dark Elves as well :).
I was browsing through the modelling section earlier, specifically the basing techniques and i hit the jackpot! The lava flow technique in the top left of the article is the effect i'm looking for:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/large-bases/3/

That basing is exactly what i wanted and i think i can make the marks in the GS itself to create the cratered effect with modelling tools without using the plasticard sheet. What do you guys think, personally i love it! :D

PS: i like the idea for the demon plant effect you went for (i think that's what you meant to make it at least), it looks very cool. Reminds me of the chaotic realms basing on this page:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/large-bases/4/
Mr green
Shade

Post by Mr green »

Aaahh.. classical goblin green... I went with Dark angel green.. they are evil after all... A bit darker
A wicked mind is the first step to success.
Shadowd1
Cold One Knight

Post by Shadowd1 »

grass snow ash or sand with blood splashed in the direction of were it looks like the previos weapon strike came from
Stab stab stabidy stab
Shadowd1
Cold One Knight

Post by Shadowd1 »

splash blood on what ever you have based thats how i do mine looks great
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

I do an ashen wasteland sort to my bases. Technique copied from GW site. First glued sand on the bases, painted Scorched Brown, drybrushed with Codex Grey and getting lighter with each drybrush. Rather satisfying look, I have tried to search for dead-coloured static grass, I have not yet found it but it would look very good on them.

Sorry for not having any pics though.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Mine are painted with Scorpion Green and have grass, flowers and small, cuddly animals running away for safety on them. The reasoning to that is, that while the Druchii come from a baren, evil Land of Chil, they always fight in merry, happy realms of good :) Thus, merry, happy bases
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Tasior
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tasior »

I do my bases as they are on the most of photos in army book. I paint my base Goblin Green, than I glue sand, drybrush it using Vomit Brown and Bleached Bone. After everything I glue Static Grass. Miniatures look much much better after this :D I've bought sand and Static Grass three or four years ago, and I use it even today :P
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

When going for a dead grass look I just used normal static grass then used a very watered down scorched brown on the grass. Then I just rubbed it with my finger to make it stand up again, this made it look darker without actually going brown.
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I created a similar effect by using sand on the bases. Undercoat black, lightly drybrushed codex grey. Then I glued tiny patches of static grass which I drybrushed with dark brown, then very lightly with bleahed bone.

The base edges were then painted in a mid to dark tone acrylic brown.

The acrylic gives a very flat, matt finish which kinda ties it all together.
Livefromnaggaroth
Executioner

Post by Livefromnaggaroth »

Dark Alliance wrote:I created a similar effect by using sand on the bases. Undercoat black, lightly drybrushed codex grey. Then I glued tiny patches of static grass which I drybrushed with dark brown, then very lightly with bleahed bone.

The base edges were then painted in a mid to dark tone acrylic brown.

The acrylic gives a very flat, matt finish which kinda ties it all together.

My approach is similar but slightly different. I undercoat black and then work my way through these colours:
Scorched Brown Heavy (overbrush)
Bestial Brown Light (drybrush)
Vomit Brown Light/Medium (")
Bleached Bone Light "
Skull White Light "
Then I glue tiny patches of scorched grass on top, which I don't do anything with otherwise.

I find this gives a great barren tundra look.

Also, I keep the edges of my bases black. I find this really brings individuality to the models (although destroying realism :-)). Putting these black-edged bases in a painted and textured movement tray creates a great look which has unity and individual in equal measure!
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I understand what you mean about the base edges. I paint my brown for a similar reason. I favour the Rackham approach to painting and basing as each figure kinda ends up as a mini diorama of it's own then. Especially the character figures.