The Scylla [The Sea Hydra]

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

The Scylla [The Sea Hydra]

Post by Voodoomaster »

i'm Getting fed up that we have so many talked about sea beasts in and around our black arks and yet no rules for them. then when the storm of chaos came out and saw the asur merwyrm that was the last straw and so after reading the odyssey and about the scylla in pertictular. [the scylla was basically the nautical version of the hydra in greek mythology.] i have decided to even up the playing field.

Scylla [the sea hydra]

The Scylla is a titanic sea monster found in the subterranean lakes beneath the Iron Mountains. Closely related to the Hydra’s of the Blackspine mountains the Scylla is a fearsome, scaled beast with many serpentine heads that secrete a deadly poison that can kill within seconds. Only recently have the Beastmasters of Karond Kar begun to train Scylla by calling them from the depths of the oceans by bone whistles made of the bones of Hydras.

M Ws BS S T W I A Ld
Scylla 5 4 0 5 5 6 3 5 6

Points/Model: 245

The Scylla is a Rare choice.

Special Rules:
Scaly Skin: 4+ armour save.
Large Target: A Scylla is a Large target.
Terror: A Scylla is a terrifying creature and there for causes terror.
Regeneration: The Scylla has a highly advanced healing system able to heal wounds almost as soon as they are inflicted.
Poison: The Scylla Excretes a deadly poison through glands in it’s mouth it therefore has poisoned attacks.
Aquatic: The Scylla is a creature of the seas and therefore suffers no movement penalties for moving through water based terrain. Instead their movement is increased to 9 and they do not count as a large target in water.
Controlled: You may take as many Scylla as you have Beastmasters in the army, subject to the restrictions on rare units. Each Scylla is bound to a specific Beastmaster before deployment.
Should the Beastmaster be slain, the Scylla must pass a Ld test if the test is passed the Scylla fights on as normal if the test is failed it must take roll on the monster reaction table in the Warhammer rulebook.

A Beastmaster may ride a Scylla at +245pts if so the Beastmaster counts as a rare and a hero choice. The Scylla is bound to the Beastmaster riding it.

what do you think? comment appreciated
Last edited by Voodoomaster on Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Lord mordaine
Shade

Post by Lord mordaine »

I think it is quite nice. I like the idea of a sea hydra and another monster mount. The points cost does also seems to be pretty fair, I like it :)
Featheredone
Trainee Warrior

Post by Featheredone »

I like the idea that it can be either a mount or a indpedendant unit.
Pretty cool.

How does it's point cost compare to that of the regular hydra (I don't have a book handy)? It seems pretty cheap.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

I feel the Sculla is a bit underpriced. It has basically the same things as a normal hydra, and some additional things (poision, regen etc). The Controlled would bring the cost down a bit, but not that much.

- Nag
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Waaaaay to cheap in points. The Merwyrm is 205 with regen but the HE loose control of it fails a regen test. Regeneration is worth about 50pts. With the rules as is I would cost this baby at about 245/250.

Poison and regeneration on a hydra. That is worth 50 points to me...
Sv_harlequin
Assassin

Post by Sv_harlequin »

Use the 40k Creature Feature Rules for some help. And hay I have a Scylla though not quite the same Game (Clan Steel Viper Scylla).
Mal: Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood. Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right.
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

thanks for the responses guys i sat down and re-worked the points cost this morning, and i came up with the same total as before on my calculator. i then did it by hand and came up with 245pts. it turned out that the calculator that i used to orginally used to work out the pts was broken. :oops:
i used another calcucator and came up with 245pts.
[eddited the previous points costs.]
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Featheredone
Trainee Warrior

Post by Featheredone »

You could also just use the merwyrm as it is, just with DE rather than HE...

But I like your adaptations much better.
Bemenacth
Beastmaster

Post by Bemenacth »

You need a rule saying that the beast masters can climb on the Scylla when it's crossing water, so they suffer no penalties on water terrain, otherwise they would end up left behind.
Lord kherith
Highborn

Post by Lord kherith »

I think its a bit overpriced, but also it far exceeds a regular hydra, and noone would take a regular one when they could take this...
Don't need a gun to blow your mind...

'Whatever gets you thru the night'
John Lennon, 1940-1980
The liger
Malekith's Pet Cat

Post by The liger »

These are really good rules. I agree also, if the sea creatures keep being mentionined, WHY NOT MAKE RULES FOR THEM!

At first I thought that for it's points it was very Very VERY good, but then I noticed that the stats had been slightly toned down, and it loses it's breath weapon, so I think it is good all round.

However, a though still nudges my brain, that is is still slightly too powerful for its points. How about making a rule like it get's -1 on the monster reaction table or something, as it says in your fluff that they have only recently been tamed, so it would fit in with the fluff, and tone it down very slightly without reducing points cost.
"Purrrrr...."

Venkh wrote:I wish i had been told about the "A-Team effect" that druchii experience with their shooting.

i.e. move into position, huge ammounts of shooting, nobody gets killed.
Lordsaradain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lordsaradain »

It only has M5, and no breathweapon, It doesn't have aprentice beastmasters, but You must include a BM instead.
I do not think its underpriced, and btw I've been thinking about why the hydras dont have reg, poison. I think they(hydras) should have this special rule: Spawn Extra Head:For every wound it loses it gains +1A
Click here to find out how to convert cooler and cheaper models!
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
The liger
Malekith's Pet Cat

Post by The liger »

Just like in Hercules! That would be great! I agree that hydras probably should have poison.
"Purrrrr...."

Venkh wrote:I wish i had been told about the "A-Team effect" that druchii experience with their shooting.

i.e. move into position, huge ammounts of shooting, nobody gets killed.
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

You need a rule saying that the beast masters can climb on the Scylla when it's crossing water, so they suffer no penalties on water terrain, otherwise they would end up left behind.

It doesn't have any beastmaster aprentacies you must include a beastmaster to take a scylla but that beastmaster does not have to ride it or accompany it however a beastmaster may ride it in the same manner as a dragon or a manticore.
It only has M5, and no breathweapon

well i got rid of the breath weapon for a reason and that is because can u imagine a creature that lives under the sea breathing fire because i can't.
i also reduced the movement because the scylla is more adaptited to living under water than on land so i reduced the movement.
Spawn Extra Head:For every wound it loses it gains +1A

that would make it far to powerful IMO on it's last wound it would have 11 attacks.
hope that clears anything up.
Scion of naggaroth
Noble

Post by Scion of naggaroth »

have u tried playtesting this? if yes wat were the results?
Group 20
Alidith Du'Sletch

(WS) 5 (S) 4 (T) 2 (D) 4 (I) 4

Skills; 2 weapon fighting, Uncontrollable frenzy

Equipment; Longsword, Dagger, Winter cloak, Map of an Estate, Letter, 150 gold coins
Darkfeather
Noble
Location: Silently stalking the Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia

Post by Darkfeather »

I think this is another example of a phenomenon sweeping D.net - House rules that are not overpowered and are actually useful in a game sense.

For some reason ppl seem to be coming up with ideas that only require the minimal amount of fine-tuning to be reasonable instead of trying to present ideas that have everyone telling them to go home.

Congrats on a great idea ;)
Alith Anar wrote: So in conclusion, do bring them whenever you feel like it. They do, after all, cut people's heads off for a living, and that's gotta count for something.
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

One note; you say it is aquatic. But if you want to get him in an army, you have to include a beastmaster. And since he is not aquatic, how does it come out? can you go through water with it, with the beastmaster? :?
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Fenix
Executioner

Post by Fenix »

The BM doesn't have to accompany it, so it can move where ever it wants. Same for the BM. Problem is if the BM dies, the Scylla takes a test.

Also if a BM is riding it, he can just sit on top and go through water. Since a HB and such flies with their mounts aswell. The only problem I see is the Scylla submerging, but a looping would be bothersome for the rider aswell :roll:
"My time will come.. Like time always does. For everyone.."
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I like this, I especialy like the idea of more attacks when you get less wounds but I think it should be only for wounds that have been regenerated as this represents them growing a head back.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

As much as i love the extra comments, can you not revive topics that are ancient.
Can you not do it, if you have comments please PM me them.
*locks*