Making a cool noble in multiple steps (pic's)

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Metallic malekith
Executioner

Making a cool noble in multiple steps (pic's)

Post by Metallic malekith »

hey,

I am going to make a Noble from the right beastmaster you see on this link; http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront ... orignav=13

I am going to post pictures of my progress every now and then, it will probably go pretty fast so keep watching :P.

My goal is;
- a noble with SDC, shield, (magical) sword
- and: i will also try to make the possibility to mount it on a chariot AND on foot by making iron-wire pointing from its feet (so I can stick it in the 1) chariot or 2) on a normal base)

Its an old model wich i already painted long time ago, so dont be scared of the current paint job, it will get lots better than that.

STEP 1; file the hair on the back of the model away like this (btw I have cut the whip loose from his leg already, and the right-arm is missing in this picture):

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o132 ... 020045.jpg

Thats it for now, ill probably post STEP 2 this evening, hope you're going to enjoy it.

MM
Facing the sun as they went to their grave
Burn like a dog or you live like a slave
Death is the price for your soul's liberty
To stand with the cathars and to die and be free
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

Hm, that does sound and look interesting.

For the chariot-mountability, you might consider using magnets.

You'd have to glue a magnet (or two, one for each foot) into the chariot chassis, and glue a bit of tin to the noble's feet. If you use sufficiently strong magnets, that might work.

However, I'd advise you to test that on the normal base first, because while I used the above-mentioned method on my converted noble, mine is mostly from plastic, and I cannot judge wether this method will work for a metal model.

Alternatively, you could try to combine the methods - one foot being magnetized, the other pinned. That might add some more stability.

Whatever method you use, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Metallic malekith
Executioner

thanks for the advice,
magnets might be pretty easy to use once in the right place, only thing is how to get a several mm (part of an inch) thich magnet INTO the the chariot? I cant just glue it ontop of it, that would look rather shitty :P, Ill think about it.

On to STEP 2: glue Malus's SDC under the model's shoulders, just beneath the place where the hair was, so not on top of it (else it would create a big open space between the cloak and the model's back).

This is how it looks like now:

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o132 ... 020050.jpg

Next will be making the rest of the SDC from greenstuff, i already found a really easy way to make a SDC.

MM
_maelstrom_
Shade

Post by _maelstrom_ »

I like the idea, that beastmaster is a good basis for a noble.

I guess you will swap the whip for a sword, then you will get the whole hero pointing weapon at enemy look. Are you going to sculpt any extra armour on?

looking good so far, i'll keep an eye on your progress
Metallic malekith
Executioner

hey,

Yes i was thinking about giving him some extra armor but without having to sculpt it, because i can't sculpt a 100% flat surface, which is needed when making something like a bodyarmor. But i found another little thing to let him look a bit more armored; he has leather with 2 spikes ontop of it wrapped around his pointing forward arm, if i cut off the 2 (very ugly) spikes and smoothen the surface it will look just as if its a piece of metal around his arm if painted like that, so thats what I will do, small but does still add some extra protectiness :P.

Oke, onto STEP 3: make the rest of the SDC wrapped around his neck and shoulders with some green stuff, it doesnt care if it isnt perfect smooth because the biggest part of it will be covered by 1)hair and 2) scales of the SDC.

Here's 2 pics of it:

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o132 ... 020053.jpg

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o132 ... 020057.jpg

Next step will be adding the scales, tomorrow, when the GS is dry.

MM
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

Looking really good so far, keep it up. As for the sculpting, if I were you, I'd simply try it, because you can only learn sculpting by sculpting. Try small bits of armour that won't ruin the model if they're not perfect, and it should be fine, plus you'll become better at sculpting in the process, too.
Chedds
Slave on the Altar

Post by Chedds »

I would the magnets you can get from scalectrix cars you can buy different sizes and shapes look for slot cars on the net and loads of places will show what you can get they might be the right size ??

magnets might be pretty easy to use once in the right place, only thing is how to get a several mm (part of an inch) thich magnet INTO the the chariot? I cant just glue it ontop of it, that would look rather shitty , Ill think about it.
_maelstrom_
Shade

Post by _maelstrom_ »

making armour isnt to hard, seen as you have the confidence with GS to make part of the SDC then you should have a go at making armour.

Druchii amour is pretty simple seen as it is normally shaped into points, all you got to remember to do is to keep your sculpting tool wet, this makes making smooth areas easy as the GS doesnt stick to the tool and pull out of shape.

But Mornedhel is right if you try it your skills will improve. ive found sculpting often has improved the quality of my sculpting and conversions
Nikolaj m v
Trainee Warrior

Post by Nikolaj m v »

Well you all talk about magnets, so that just mean you glue small but strong magnets under the feet of the model and a big magnet on the Charriot, but under it, or on the top of it?

Anyways think it sounds like a good ide, cause you can swift from having CHarriot crew or Noble.

and Metallic, nice job you've done on that noble so far, im looking forward for more pic's.

Regards

Nikolaj
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

The feet are too small for all magnets I have tried, but simply using sheet metal (like from the lid of a tin can) and a strong magnet in the chariot works.

And I'd glue the magnet into the floor of the chariot. On my chariot noble, I glued it under the chariot, but while that does work, it probably will not work on a metal model. So just drill a whole into the chariot floor and fit the magnet into it.
Metallic malekith
Executioner

hey

I think I'll leave the armor as it is for now because the body of the model looks pretty cool already, it has lots of leather belts and little pockets and a skull hanging everywhere. I'll try to sculpt some armor on my test model though because does definately help improving my sculpting skills.
To be honoust I have NEVER done any sculpting with GS except for a beard on a dwarf but I'm improving very fast.

And about the magnets, I believe that it would be pretty easy to switch with the models but I dont want to order them all the way with internet because I'll get the costs for sending it aswell, I will have a look in some do-it-self-stores locally and hope they have magnets.

STEP 4: making the scales of the SDC, it's very easy. Just put a tiny blob of GS on the place where the scale will be and press it in the shape you want with something flat. It will look like this by now:

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o132 ... 020062.jpg

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o132 ... 020059.jpg

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o132 ... 020060.jpg

Thats it for today, tomorrow will be the making of hair.
Thanks alot for all the kind replies, stay tuned!

MM
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

The scales look good, though I think you should add some smaller (tiny-ish) scales, as you can se on the edges of most GW-made sea dragon cloaks. That'd round it out nicely, and shouldn't be too hard.
_maelstrom_
Shade

Post by _maelstrom_ »

looking good, I agree with Mornedhel if you add a few smaller scales it'll be perfect.
Metallic malekith
Executioner

yes i might try to add some small ones on the edges, though there aint much room, but I can schould be able to find some space for a couple.
Though I have to say that the scales look better in real, they dont look any smooth at all on the pics but they are :P.

Thanks for the comments, hair is almost done as well.

MM
Metallic malekith
Executioner

The hair is done and dry, I'm busy painting at the moment.

This is how he looks now:

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o132 ... 020071.jpg

Front with both arms attached this time:

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o132 ... 020072.jpg

I'll try to get the painting done as soon as possible (chariot is a lot of work aswell), hope you still have some patience left :P.

MM
_maelstrom_
Shade

Post by _maelstrom_ »

Good job on the hair, any ideas on what you are goin to use for the sword?
Metallic malekith
Executioner

yes i do, I will be using a corsair sword, but not one of those very slim swords but the broader one, the one that's being held up in the sky.

I'll post a pic of the weapon-swap this evening, than thats how the model is going to look like once painted, all the conversions are then done.

MM
Metallic malekith
Executioner

hey,

Here are some new pics, this is how the model is going to look like, only have to find a nice shield and then he's ready to be painted, enjoy 'em.

Made the handle of the sword smaller and attached the lower-end thing of the sword to the back of his hand, looks very nice:
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o132 ... 020077.jpg

The cut-away spikes on his arm:
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o132 ... 020079.jpg

With the cool corsair sword glued on:
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o132 ... 020085.jpg

Tommorow he'll be as good as finished, I'll post pics of him aswell then.

MM
Metallic malekith
Executioner

The noble is now done, but as noone is probably folowing this topic anymore i'll just start a new topic with only the pics of the finished noble,
Lord adrianus
Noble

Post by Lord adrianus »

I am following it, TY alot, this gives me much help.

p.s. In Dutch: Worden die beastmasters nog steeds verkocht?
Starting with Orks!!! A green tide will come (well, I have 34 boyz now :D