I think I've cracked it...

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Gooner
Corsair

I think I've cracked it...

Post by Gooner »

I've read every tactics article in the hall of fame, and this is what I've come up with. The army is based on MSU principals, includes a hammer, a CR unit and serious maneuverability. At the end of day however, I just liked the sound of this, from James Fazzolari's First Principals and Antecedents of MSU.
The Athenians won by not engaging the enemy straight away, wearing them down, surrounding them and biding their time until an opportunity arose for them to snatch victory.
Thats basically what I'm trying to do with this army, so it's divided into two sections, shooty and maneuvarble for the wearing down and surrounding, and hitty and msu-y for the snatching victory.

Oh, and as this is from my Cult of Chroesh fluff there's very little magic and no cold ones.

High Priest Gorgoneth
Highborn, Dark Peg., Lance, AoD, Lifetaker 241

Spellbreaker Priest
Sorceress, 2 DS 140

Warrior Priest
Noble, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Seal 103
Leads Execs, force multiplier

Horsemen of Chroesh
3x 5 DR, RxB, Mus 381

Followers of the Serpent Lord
20 DEW, Shields, Mus+Stan 175

Guerillas of Har Kython
6 Shades 84

Daughters of Chroesh
6 Harpies 78

Temple Guard
12 Executioners, Mus and Stan 150

Priestesses of Poison
13 Witch Elves, Stan, Hag, Witchbrew 218

Sacred Beast
Hydra 220

Altar of Pain
Cauldron of Blood 205

Total: 1995

The Highborn, 3 units of DR, Harpies and Shades all attempt to envelope the enemy, using missile fire and carefully chosen combats to kill off (in order of priority) enemy maneuverable units, mages and shooty units, then cavalry. The remaining units, in theory only heavy cav. and combat inf., can then be engaged in multiple combats by the Highborn, Hydra, Execs, Witches and DEW, supported by rear and flank charges from the DR. In theory anyway...

My main questions are where do I hide the spellbreaker and might it be worth dropping the COB in favour of some "devoted of chroesh" (corsairs)? The main problem with this option is I don't know how I'd convert them, as the normal corsairs don't look fluffy at all.
Darklord of naggaroth
Dark Rider
Location: A dreaded place where any mere mortal would not be able to bear...Manchester

Post by Darklord of naggaroth »

sounds good, i'd be more interested if this list was used and then we could see if it worked and how it went...
The Weak deserve To Die
DarkLord
Draknir
Dark Artist

Re: I think I've cracked it...

Post by Draknir »

Gooner wrote:My main questions are where do I hide the spellbreaker and might it be worth dropping the COB in favour of some "devoted of chroesh" (corsairs)? The main problem with this option is I don't know how I'd convert them, as the normal corsairs don't look fluffy at all.

I have read your fluff on the Cult of Chroesh, and i would make corsairs into cultist like this: I would replace the helmeted heads with bare ones, maybe those Wood Elf glade guard heads. Then I would paint the Sea Dragon Cloaks with some snakeskin pattern, like black zigzag on snakebite leather basecoat.
(Of course try to avoid the SDCs with talons :D )
Mutator
Black Guard

Post by Mutator »

Gooner wrote:...might it be worth dropping the COB in favour of some "devoted of chroesh" (corsairs)? The main problem with this option is I don't know how I'd convert them, as the normal corsairs don't look fluffy at all.

Use daemonettes on 20 mm bases as the witch elves, and then use witch elves as corsairs. Lets face it, they'll all look like witch elves, but the daemonettes will just look more witchey ;)
Strength in Numbers: visit Underempire.net
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Gooner wrote:High Priest Gorgoneth
Highborn, Dark Peg., Lance, AoD, Lifetaker 241

I'd rather give him the Blood Armour with lifetaker,as it gives a higher armour save. And maybe you should switch him with the Noble, (noble on peg, he in execs on foot).
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Gooner
Corsair

Post by Gooner »

Thanks for your feedback. I like both modelling ideas, but would ask again whether a unit of "corsairs" would actually be better than the COB in this list?

@ LoS: I would be happy to switch the highborn and the noble in fluff terms, but why do you think it would be of benefit to the army? For the leadership?
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

indeed, and if you will encounter a shooting army and the enemy sees your general is mounted on a pegasus, he will shoot the pegasus away on a moment you can't use it, eg. such as when you are in front of an enemy unit :? . This risk is lower with the noble, as it won't be such a threat for many players, but he is capable of hunting war machines/shooting units with only one rank just as good (I suppose that is its role? Because otherwise I would suggest you mount him on a manticore, since you can't win it from a ranked unit with just a peggie due to the US 4).

Thats why :D
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Fingol23
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Fingol23 »

Yeah swap armour of death for blood armour, also it might be worth dropping the harpies and giving the riders crossbows.
WIP First War Against Chaos Expansion
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... e7da5c4719

WS3 / S3 / T3 / D4 / I5
Skills: Basic Stealth
Items: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Gooner wrote:Sacred Beast
Hydra 220

Altar of Pain
Cauldron of Blood 205

My only problem with the army is these 2 choices. You don't really have enough units to qualify as a real MSU list, and you are using up a lot of points in these 2 expensive Rare choices. I could see taking one of them, but not both. I would rather see 2 chariots than a hydra since it puts more threats on the battlefield.
Truly These are the End Times ...