The cheapest option to neutralize artillery?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Hetchoalk
Slave on the Altar

The cheapest option to neutralize artillery?

Post by Hetchoalk »

Hi homies, can anione tell me the best option (in a 2000 points army)
and the chapest(of points) to kill the crew of empire artillery?

plisplis..
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

A small unit of Harpies would probably be your best bet if you wanted a chep unit, and at 65 points they will do the job fr the least points.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Harpies for sure, if you can get them there. Other options include units of naked dark riders (ie, just the musician) or a noble on a dark steed with just the basic armour (still a 1+ save against shooting) and a lance. All are easily under the 100 points a cannon is.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

A beastmaster on a DP or DS should also do the job, and cheaper than a noble as well.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

devils reject wrote:A beastmaster on a DP or DS should also do the job, and cheaper than a noble as well.

Ah, not really, no. The beastmaster on pegasus will actualloy run you more than 100 points, whereas the other options I've listed are all less than 100 points.

That being said, you're still absolutely correct in that its still a cheapish option that can get the job done (4 S5 attacks on the charge is nothing to sneeze at).
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

O sorry about that, not sure how I missed that. And the part where a Beastmaster can ride a DS :oops:
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Anyone thought about, DR with shadow magic, that can run down artillery crews, perhaps even in turn 1?
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Viper
Highborn

Post by Viper »

I like shades . they can possibly get in range the quickest. they could be firing on it by turn 1 and possibly charging by turn 2. My shades take up an advanded fireing position hopefully in a building or in woods act as a march blockers and harrass his units with missle fire

My problem with harpies is that they have to present themselves to the enemy for one turn thus taking fire for that turn. they are pretty fragile with T3 and no armor. The low leadership is the worst part about them. At leaset DR have some amor and can get a shot at the crew before they get shot at.
Good, bad, I am the guy with the reapter bolt thrower.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

present themselves to the enemy for one turn thus taking fire for that turn

If they are spending one turn shooting at a 65 point unit then it is one turn less worth of shots at the units you really need though, so it has its upside.
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

I like to shoot at artillery with my units of Warriors with xbows. This will force you opponent to waste missle fire on them in return. IF the artillery is on a hill you can get alot of shoots off(20 with a unit of 10) since all models in the unit can shoot at things on higher elevations.
Duke daedric
Cold One Knight

Post by Duke daedric »

yes this all is true, however if it is dwarwen artillery most of listed options crumble to dust...

Harpies cannot destroy dwarwen artillery, dark riders have a minimal chance on their own, Noble on DP is another story but many points... if they weren't stubborn it would be a different story.

This one I shot down a HE ballista behind obsticle with a lifetaker: hits on 2+ - easy, went to the crew, with no wounds the first time, but both wounding after reroll... AWSOME!
The guy went berzerk!!! I would prolly to. 8)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is the Assassin Bunny.
He has been specially trained by "the Old man of the Mountain".
He looks cute and than bites off your aorta when you least expect it.. ;)
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Prince of Arnheim wrote:I like to shoot at artillery with my units of Warriors with xbows. This will force you opponent to waste missle fire on them in return. IF the artillery is on a hill you can get alot of shoots off(20 with a unit of 10) since all models in the unit can shoot at things on higher elevations.

If you are shooting at artillery, that usually means that you are letting much juicier targets (like fast cavalry) run free.

In order to do 3 wounds to the crew of an Empire artillery piece it will take an average of over 20 hits from repeater crossbows. Assuming long range and multi-shot, that means it will take about 60 shots to take out the crew of a single Empire war machine. I think those shots should usually be directed aginst regular missile troops (like crossbows and handgunners) or fast cavalry (outriders and pistoliers). You will get more return on your shooting if you pick stuff that is easier to kill.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

I actually like to get rid of FC with my reapers because the -2 armour modification eliminates them very smoothly.

Artillery are tough to rid of with shooting. I like to use xbow Warriors becuase are ineffective if they have to move around to aim at their targets. Against enemy artillery you know where they will be for the entire battle. So ploppin gmissl eunits in front of them is a good idea as you you can move 5 inches in the first turn and sit there for the rest of the battle firing away at them. This will inturn distract some enemy magic and missle fire which can act as a sort of vaccum.

Now ideally I would use my Dark Riders to just punch out the artillery in combat. Harpies work good at this too, Shades not so much. The trick is actually getting these units in to charge range, which can or cannot be difficult depending on the terrain. Dark Riders are the most liekly to get to the job done, if they don't get shot down themselves, ala the reason why i like to distract with xbow warriors.
D'jihurccen
Executioner

Post by D'jihurccen »

Getting the better end of setup and first turn can help a lot in taking out enemy war machines with shooting, otherwise i would say not to worry about it too much. Your opponent is not likely to leave a cannon crew in sight of a RBT, (at least more then once) and crossbow men will take at least 2 turns of firing in most cases to take out a crew at long range, and they will have to move at least once to get in range at all.

I would go for the harpies or pegasus options personally, dark riders or dark steeds are terribly easy to block, and your opponent will likely see them coming. Plus with the ability to jump over enemy units, the pegasus is more likely to be able to live through the ordeal and help out in other combats later on. And of course harpies are by far the cheapest choice, though they probably will not live to do anything else after taking out the WM, though thats 65 points for 100, so not too bad.
Dark moon Host (druchii) w/d/l 9/2/4
Fleshcollector
Noble

Post by Fleshcollector »

Sup Hominy?

I use harpies against empire war-machines to great effect but sometimes they need support from a DR unit to get past them handgunners nearby.
Excuse me. I've come to harvest your flesh.