Magnets?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Crouching lictor
Slave (off the Altar)

Magnets?

Post by Crouching lictor »

I am considering adding small magnets to the base of my models so they stick to the movement trays better. Do any of you know where I can get magnets suitable for this and the correct sizes?

Thanks!
Manaurith
Black Guard

Post by Manaurith »

well I did this and it works werry well.

I expect that you alredy got metal muvement trays?

but you should find the magnet in a shop that makes signs.
the magnet you are looking for is a a kind of a mat and flexible. it is rather simple to cut with a normal scalple or modeling knive or even sicors so geting them in the rigt sice is not a problem.
I doupt that the shop is willing to sell the magnet in anything much less than squere meeter. a single army only needs a tiny portion of this but I don´t doupt that you figure out what to do with the rest. just remember to store your magnet stuck to iron or the mcanetism will diminish.

hope this helps
Time to toss the dice
Madlarks
Executioner

Post by Madlarks »

amazingmagnets.com is where I got mine. Judge foryourself which size you want (remember small is good) Overall I got 100 1/8 Rare Earth magnets for 10.
Venkh wrote:Overall, DE are a kind of swiss army knife of an army. We can do everything, just not quite as well as a dedicated tool.

Skaven 5-1-3
WE 2-0
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I find that it is better to have a magnetic movement tray and small, non-magnetized steel plates on the bottom of each model. If there are magnets on the bottom of each model, they can end up sticking to one another instead of the movement tray.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Savonarola
Highborn

Post by Savonarola »

just remember to store your magnet stuck to iron or the mcanetism will diminish.

really? This is the first time I hear this. I find it very important, do you have more info about this fenomenon?
We hate what you hate. And we hate you. With eternal hatred!
Crouching lictor
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Crouching lictor »

Thanks for the info! I will definitely be looking into this more.
Mtn
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mtn »

I followed madlarks suggestion above and picked up some 1/8" x 1/16" magnets from www.amazingmagnets.com. The magnets are really really strong. I used those magnets in my chariot so I can swap out a noble for regular crew if I'd like. Two magnets are glued in place, and two additional holes have been drilled, ready to have the magnets glued in place:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z247 ... iot_07.jpg

For normal models, I use business card sheet magnets and superglue the models to the card then trim away the excess.

Here's a shot of a normal base on sheet magnet that I've also added a couple of rare earth magnets to for my noble/chariot swap:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z247 ... 2_Base.jpg