Need some help with the plastics in making a Standard Bearer

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Kharn_the_betrayer
Warrior

Need some help with the plastics in making a Standard Bearer

Post by Kharn_the_betrayer »

I am working on one of my plastic kits and am having a problem (and I can only rebuild this part one more time so I have to get it right) and that is the arm on the standard bearer. Is there a way to assemble it so the flags don't block the bearer's face or should I just have it on the side where it would only be blocking the guy standing next to him? I just see it in the book looking so nice, and can't figure out how to get this right for both flags on the pole and not blocking the heads. Please help me.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Bout the only option I can think of would be to make the banner-pole taller by using a length of metal rod.

In my army, the standard bearers are obscured by the banners. Not much way around it.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

I must highgly reccommend the Gale Force 9 Pin Vice. It comes with perfect metal rods that can be used for perfect banner poles. You just drill through the models hand and wala. So much easy than doin it in pieces or any other kidn of awkward way.

I have often put my Standard on the flank of the unit so the banner is flapping out of the way of his fellow troopers faces! It depends on the model though. If it is one of those plastic banners then they are usuall hangin down in which case there is nothing you can do except try some different positions.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Another option would be to make your own banners out of paper -- that way you have more freedom in positioning them.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

You don't have to build the standards with the 2 pieces of cloth like in the army book On one of my standards I put 1 piece of cloth in the middle and put 2 'skulls on chains' on either side. Looks good, and it doesn't obscure the model as much.
Jormungand
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jormungand »

i solved it like this but drek's solution is actually much better:
[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\HP_Eigenaar\Mijn%20documenten\Mijn%20afbeeldingen\Stijn\llm.bmp[/img]
Aut vincere aut mori... and I mean it!
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Erm...... you can't like to a document hosted on your home machine unless it's also configured as a web server. Try photobucket or somewhere similar and link to that instead.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

Jormungand, like Arquinsiel allready said, use http://photobucket.com/ to
host your images. This doesn't work really.

But @ kharn_the_betrayer, I personally really hate the banners that come with
the standard plasic warrior box set. I prefer using empty maynaise tubes (metal
ones) to cut my own shapes, paint them and bend them so that the banner doesn't
block the bearers sight. Easy and effective. But if you do like the standard standards
you can perhaps use a lighter to heat the banner a bit (be really carefull not to heat
it to mutch) and bend it so it doesn't block the line of sight.

Gr. MDK
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Kharn_the_betrayer
Warrior

Post by Kharn_the_betrayer »

Actually i have come up with a solution sort of that I am still working out, but I figured out that the thickness of the spear is the same as the banner poles that attach to the spear(the cross bar). So what might happen is that I might put the flag on the spear or even just put on the cross bar as a standard (like some of the other race's standards that are more of a series of poles). Either way I go if this topic is still up pictures will be posted.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

That would work well with attachng the banners to the main pole, although it would look like your Warrior unit is constantly in a strong breeze.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=