Elven Food

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Sirist
Black Guard

Elven Food

Post by Sirist »

Everything eats something: from the lowliest worm to the biggest dragon ogre shaggoth. My question -- which I imagine has no right or wrong answer -- is what in the world the Druchii eat?

You hear a lot about temple maidens, witches, and what not eating the hearts of their victims, but that's them. What do you suppose would be the fair of commoners? The merchant class? The highborn?

Personally, I imagine they'd eat meat -- they are Druchii, after all -- in concordance with a surprisingly balanced diet. But I'd imagine in a wasteland of snow and rock, you can't grow much in the way of grains or raise a large number of livestock, so I'm throwing the idea out there that the Druchii diet would consist largely of fish. But you can't live on fish alone, so what else? What grains, vegetables, fruits, or even livestock do you imagine the Druchii could grow or find in Naggaroth?

Discuss. Help me out here. ;)
Kheirakh
Assassin

Post by Kheirakh »

I think that in the coast part of Naggaroth seafood is the main diet for druchii. Fish, octopus, shells, algae etc.

In the innerlands, I think that somesort of livestock is being raised -sheep, cows, poultry etc.

In the southernpart even some exotic things are eaten: lizards, snakes, insects, apes etc.

Common vegetables and fruits are grown in farms.

The druchii nobility can eat what they want: they are rich.
The common people eat the food that is easiest to get: for example in a coast city fish and bread might be the common meal.

Some food, I believe, is also stolen from Ulthuan during the raids. Why would the druchii leave those freshly picked vegetables and seeds behind?

My thoughts about the subject.
My avatar is so cute, isn't it?
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

Clar Karond is known as the 'breadbasket of Naggaroth' - east of the city there are large farms growing grains, which are shipped to all the cities.

kheirakh, there are no "southern parts" of Naggaroth as you describe them; Clar Karond is the southernmost city of the land, and there the climate is just warm enough to grow crops, even though barely.

It may be possible to raise livestock further north, though probably not much; fish will probably be an important part, too.

I doubt they would be able to transport a lot of food from their raiding targets, though, as usually that food would be mostly used up during transit.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I would imagine that though what their food was made of would be little differant from what a human would use the style of cooking would be very differant indeed, afterall if the Italians and the French can both come up with differant styles from the English (and thats saying nothing of the Chinese, Indians ect) how would a differant race cook?
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Kheirakh
Assassin

Post by Kheirakh »

Mornedhel wrote:Clar Karond is known as the 'breadbasket of Naggaroth' - east of the city there are large farms growing grains, which are shipped to all the cities.

kheirakh, there are no "southern parts" of Naggaroth as you describe them; Clar Karond is the southernmost city of the land, and there the climate is just warm enough to grow crops, even though barely.

It may be possible to raise livestock further north, though probably not much; fish will probably be an important part, too.

I doubt they would be able to transport a lot of food from their raiding targets, though, as usually that food would be mostly used up during transit.

In the south I think that there might be some shade clans that live by hunting etc. lizards etc.
My avatar is so cute, isn't it?
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

There was already an article on this subject, try reading this:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=49050&highlight
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

The grounds around Clar karond are the only fields fertile enough t grow suficent crops.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Ramaj
Cold One Knight

Post by Ramaj »

The best comparison would probably be RL Alaska. Barring most imports; staples are going to be a good variety of seafood, kelp, hearty grains, root vegetables, some game and birch syrup. Lamprey which can have up to 45% fat would be especially prized IMO. Druchii fare would be quite high in both fat and protein to get the most out of smaller rations. Because Druchii are inherently hypermetabolic and work hard more often than not, obesity would be a non-issue. Druchii cooking probably makes heavy use of spices and herbs to add some heat. Salting would be the most common way of preserving perishables. Milk would likely come from woolly goats or sheep as opposed to cattle, for practical reasons. Various strong alcoholic drinks would also be very popular.
Why WFB Elves are great:

1. Malekith only has one arm ;)
2. Tyrion's 'monster' mount is a horse
3. Teclis drinks all the time
4. Morathi looks like she strips for a living
Walrusm3
Cold One Knight

Post by Walrusm3 »

To be honest, I have believes they sometimes eat slaves. After all they treat them as we do with cattle, and what do we do with cattle - eat it of course. Sure it makes us druchii look like ogres, but heck a lot of other races do it.
Sanity... is for the weak!
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Not as much meat on a human though, I dont see why they shouldn't after all its not canabalism and in some countries they do eat apes.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Lord ruerl of harganeth
Beastmaster
Location: Searching Ulthuan for my wife's murderer (New Zealand actually)

Post by Lord ruerl of harganeth »

i think things like rich fruit and venison would be a staple as well as wine and vegetables.
"Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, I will have my Venegance"
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Where is this rich fruit being grown though? Karond Kar might have fairly firtile soils but the only place I can think of it wold be possible to grow fruit would be on the baorder of Lustria.

Gentleman of Moderation
Svart
Highborn

Post by Svart »

Actually, most of the things said above seem right to me with the exception of cannibalism (there are cannibals among druchii, take Mengil for example, but they're an exception). Also, elves require less food then humans. And, let's not forget that Dark Elfs 'import' a lot of food as well, or simply buy it.
...Evil will never creep into an empty head...
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Or steal it. The only fertile lands of Naggaroth is Clar Karond, and that is where they grow most of everything and where allot of the food they export to all the different cities of Naggaroth.

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

What canabiliem has been discused, they might eat slaves but probobly not elven ones, a nice jucy human is not canabilim for an elf.

Gentleman of Moderation
Sedro
Beastmaster
Location: sieging Ulthuan...alone when not in gothenburg Sweden

Post by Sedro »

Fish would be a druchii food and possible slaves.maybe they have a plant in naggaroth that all off them eat alldays
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Ok, there are some elves that may eat human, elven, possibly dwarven flesh (EW!). But some of you people sound like they eat it as a mian course. Not very druchii indeed. I doubt there would be a tree like that sedro, for if there was i would be there all the time ;) either way. A blanaced diet of fruit and Vegetables while they would probably have a balanced diet of fish and perhaps goats milk. While also being carnivores, they would have cow, pig and lamb, you know all that jazz

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Why not as a main course?

Gentleman of Moderation
Tastyfish
Arch-deviant of the Cult of Pleasure

Post by Tastyfish »

The Druchii do have quite a long association with Lustria (and the new world) and have probably the easiest access to it, so whilst it isn't going to be the norm for most people there probably is fairly wide access to fruits, sugar and other typically exotic plants. Tea has been fairly common in the UK even though its not grown here, likewise with sugar and sugarbased products (Rum, I'm thinking mostly) - lifewise a lot of fruits that can't be grown in our climate would have been fairly commonly encountered (though probably not eaten). Stuff like lemons, oranges, tomatos and cucumbers I'm thinking mostly.

Accompanying what a lot of people have said already (apart from slaves - everyone thinks Mengil is a bit wierd), there would probably be quite a lot of preserves of various kinds, salted meat, fruit jams and pickles etc since this would be the best way to transport this sort of thing up from the more temperate south. Probably spices, coffee, chocolate and tea as well, since they are in the right area for it (next to the new world and the orient).
Want to write background or fluff for the Herald? PM me
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Mengal eats other elves, thats why every one thinks he is a bit weird.

Gentleman of Moderation
Roman v. numeral
Shade

Post by Roman v. numeral »

I had always thought of the land of Naggaroth as being very similar to that of Northern Europe. A quick check of the map in the army book shows it as heavily forested and mountainous, but with a good amount of rivers. I'm guessing that there would be an abundance of wild game and possibly even farms where domesticated wild game is raised, such as deer or caribou or thier equivalents. Of course seafood would be a major part of the Druchii diet, as most of the cities are within easy reach of coastal and river areas. As was previously mentioned, goats and sheep would probably be contributor as well as sheep do well in hilly and mountainous areas are easily domesticated and provide both a steady supply of milk and meat. Besides, Manitcore's have to eat something in the wild! From the forested regions, I'd imagine that nuts and berries would be harvested or gathered in numbers great enough to be a staple year round.
The diet for the average Druchii might look soemthing like this (in order of greatest consumption):
1) Seafood due to it's abundance
2) nuts, small fruits and root vegetables from the forest regions
3) Game meat gathered from the foreand hills
4) domesticated meat and milk would be more expensive and rarer due to the increased effort in it's production and protection in Naggoroth's harsh climate
5) imported spices would be expensive, but also due to thier concentrated forms, would be easy to transport, giving them the expection of widespread use
6) imported fruits, vegetables would be used as luxury foods, due to the expense in bringing them in by sea before they spoiled, but might be usefull in supplementing the Druchii diet.
7) imported and unusual meats woould be the most expensive and hardest to obtain, and would probably be seen only on the tables of the soceities elite.
8) slaves would probably be eaten, but only in times of near famine or during special celebrations or rituals (as in the case of the witches), due to slaves being valuable if kept alive in Druchii soceity, and by the time the slaves die from overwork or torture, there wouldn't be much left that would really be worth eating since most fat and muscle would have been wasted away. That being said, I can easy see wealthy nobles keeping certain slaves specifically for being eaten for rituals or conspicuous shows of wealth at feasts.
Group 25!

Name: Cenar Stoneburn
Class: Warrior
Stats: WS:4, S:5, T:4, D:3, I:2
Equipment: Long sword, shield, light armour
Friis
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Friis »

The elves was first presented by Tolkin in the Lord of The Rings. He made them like human just better, therefore they doesn't eat the same as human but an elven version of it.
The Dark elves are close relatives to the HE wich lives in a warmer place, wich would probably mean that the wealthy eat the same thing as the HE because that would be considered a delicatese.
Because Naggaroth is so close to The Chaos Wastes Nothing can grow to the north and thats also why Klar Karond is the breadbasket.
It is possible tough that a special crop grows in Naggaroth because it is a fantasy world.
But I would think that they had bread and maybe a vegetable like potatoes wich will be the most common food. In the cities close to the sea their main meat source would be fish. It is possible that they also ate their reptiles and horsed perhaps. There is the possibility that there lives some sort huge bird or bear like animals that the druchii hunt. And agian as other have said they would not just plunder the HE for slaves but for food also that is the only thing that makes sense to me anyway...
"The weak die so that the strong prevail..."
- Malekith, the Witch King of Naggaroth

"We are the most civilised race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other."
- Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth
Luk-arth
Trainee Warrior

Post by Luk-arth »

cold ones! how about a nice juicy cold one burger from mc darkblades.
Ave Ceaser!
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Do you want to eat the meat of an animal which has poisen that will make you never feel again, and although it might be in their mouthes its described as slime so we dont realy know wheather one mouth full would meen never tasting again. Plus do you want to be incharge of slaughtering them?

Gentleman of Moderation
Luk-arth
Trainee Warrior

Post by Luk-arth »

In the 41st millenium imperial guard have crox (they basicaly are a future version of cold ones) which they turn into burgers.

To kill a cold one.......feed it to death with Asur slaves (hmmmmmm there chewy)
Ave Ceaser!