the NOISE... 2250 Dragon feat. BG - and CoB!

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

the NOISE... 2250 Dragon feat. BG - and CoB!

Post by Raneth »

[EDIT] For convenience, here is the list as it stands now. Updates shall be incorporated here henceforth.

501 HB on Dragon lance, h.a., SDC, Enchanted Shield, Seal of Ghrond
145 BSB Lifetaker, Blood Armour (mounted in CoC)
152 Sorc Lv1 on DS Dispel Scroll x2 (joined by DR*)

127 5 DR* rxbs, Muso (Sorc guard)
127 5 DR rxbs, Muso
111 5 DR StB, Muso
97 5 DR Muso

65 5 Harpies
194 2 CoCs spears (BSB mount)
142 10 Witch Elves StB
116 10 Executioners Muso

205 Cauldron of Blood
268 15 BG Master, StB

TOTAL 2250

The list is now a bit less centred on movement control, and more on... business. Losing the Sorc guard seems tempting but their 'last ditch charge' is a fearsome weapon with the CoB nearby. They're now as cheap as I deem possible. Replaced the third chariot with Witch Elves, some DR with Executioners.

It's really difficult to strike a balance between what I perceive to be a good Dragon list and a good Cauldron list! The fact that this one keeps evolving, I find hardly reassuring. Dropping DR is almost against my nature, I swear by them, much less take Executioners instead but my gut says it's the right thing to do :roll: :D

/....swapped Witch Hag for StB, switched Sorc bodyguard unit

[/EDIT] And here is where this thread kicked off initially! --- Raneth

Yaay, ominous hoofbeats and bloodcurdling screams. Opinions please! :D

476 HB on Dragon lance, h.a., SDC, Enchanted Shield
152 Sorc Lv1 on DS Seal of Ghrond, Dispel Scroll (joined by DR*)

127 5 DR rxbs, Muso
127 5 DR rxbs, Muso
97 5 DR Muso
97 5 DR Muso
97 5 DR Muso

70 5 Shades
70 5 Shades
65 5 Harpies
194 2 CoCs spears (BSB mount)

200 2 RBTs
206 12 BG Master

TOTAL 2250

Movement control, that's all it is. Tried to fit in controllish little combos besides the whole Dragon-DR unit-ripping interaction. BG are immensely more reliable when the BSB is around, and the now-US5 CoC makes for an excellent hammer to the BG's anvil. The lack of resilience on the BSB was made up for by the 'vest-rifle' combination. The Seal-carrying Sorc and her company of DR are held back with the RBTs to provide the enemy with an incentive to move across the table, dispelling like a Lord-level mage and dishing out MMs on any unit that gets too close (I've mostly just taken the Lore of Death's default :P ).

Anyway, thanks for any comments or advice!
Last edited by Raneth on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
D'jihurccen
Executioner

Post by D'jihurccen »

This list hurts to look at on paper, i cant image the terror of seeing all of that being put across the field from me.

Maybe put the sorceress in a shades unit rather then DR. The shades will provide more protection (they are less armored, but -1 to hit and more wounds before they panic, etc) also will give your opponent more incentive to move towards you as they are more vulnerable to CC then shooting. This also gives you a 360 arc for LOS and moving, meaning you dont really sacrifice too much mobility.

i like the list, the bsb chariot is a good choice, i would give it a lance though for a bit more hitting power at very little cost, and with a chariot you will want to always be charging and breaking units on the charge, so lance fits.

maybe a standard on the BG unit to give them a bit more anvil power toward the combat (remember this stacks with the +1 from the BSB, meaning the BG+BSB will have very good chances of breaking even very tough units)

i would maybe drop a unit of dark riders, with so many they might end up getting in the way of each other, and panicking each other (unlikely i know, but still) plus my other suggestions are mostly costing you more points, so i figured i would give advice for finding room for it.
Dark moon Host (druchii) w/d/l 9/2/4
Lord adrianus
Noble

Post by Lord adrianus »

Maybe you should make a 2500 points list of it. This way you can give your Highborn better egeuipment and maybe make the BG abit bigger. You can also make the harpies and shades a bit bigger like this.
Starting with Orks!!! A green tide will come (well, I have 34 boyz now :D
Lord adrianus
Noble

Post by Lord adrianus »

Maybe you should make a 2500 points list of it. This way you can give your Highborn better egeuipment and maybe make the BG abit bigger. You can also make the harpies and shades a bit bigger like this.
Darklord of naggaroth
Dark Rider
Location: A dreaded place where any mere mortal would not be able to bear...Manchester

Post by Darklord of naggaroth »

i think that would be a very interesting list and very enjoyable to play with.

have fun
The Weak deserve To Die
DarkLord
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

D'jihurccen wrote:Maybe put the sorceress in a shades unit rather then DR. The shades will provide more protection (they are less armored, but -1 to hit and more wounds before they panic, etc) also will give your opponent more incentive to move towards you as they are more vulnerable to CC then shooting. This also gives you a 360 arc for LOS and moving, meaning you dont really sacrifice too much mobility.
I actually have quite some experience running that type of unit, even went so far as fielding a Lv4 HS with CoDS in a unit of scouting Shades. (here's the link if you're interested: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=48857 ) In this case, I opted for the DR for their ability to get the hell out of Dodge when required. It also means the Shades can be used for suicide charges, which remains a favourite tactic of mine.

D'jihurccen wrote:i like the list, the bsb chariot is a good choice, i would give it a lance though for a bit more hitting power at very little cost, and with a chariot you will want to always be charging and breaking units on the charge, so lance fits.
Alas, alas, if only the BSB could have a lance, I would've certainly found the points for it ;)

D'jihurccen wrote:maybe a standard on the BG unit to give them a bit more anvil power toward the combat (remember this stacks with the +1 from the BSB, meaning the BG+BSB will have very good chances of breaking even very tough units)
I tend to avoid 'very tough' units :P The BG are expensive enough as they are, and a StB wouldn't aid them when taking Break tests. Only a Master was taken because he can soak up attacks from enemy characters without the BG suffering from overkill. (C'mon Crom, he'll die laughing!) By the way, the BG are usually deployed 7-5.

D'jihurccen wrote:i would maybe drop a unit of dark riders, with so many they might end up getting in the way of each other, and panicking each other (unlikely i know, but still) plus my other suggestions are mostly costing you more points, so i figured i would give advice for finding room for it.
That's rarely a problem, I can assure you... they're actually very small and nimble when used this way. It has been close on several occasions, but I have never had to move fleeing DR through another unit. I've actually thought of swapping out a DR unit for rxbWars (10-strong w. shields & Muso, long-time favourite) but I feel the rxb really shines up close, and decided against taking out one of the rxbDR units to field them, being too slow to keep up and all.

Lord Adrianus wrote:Maybe you should make a 2500 points list of it. This way you can give your Highborn better egeuipment and maybe make the BG abit bigger. You can also make the harpies and shades a bit bigger like this.
The tourney's set at 2250, I'm afraid. Keeping the skirmisher units as small as possible makes them deliciously expendable. I played with the thought of fielding more BG 'to make sure' but they're really, reallyexpensive and besides, most of my "test pilots" found they had too much other stuff to shoot instead.

Why I didn't up-gun the HB: studying some of Dyvim's lists, I came to reconsider the 'job' of the Dragonlord. To me, now at least, he's best used to threaten any unit in its charge arc, causing Terror, breaking tough targets and such. The Dragon can do all this without the HB, and as I rarely use his high Ld10, I came to think of the HB more and more as 'extra charge attacks for the Dragon'. A lance is infinitely better than anymagic weapon available to the Druchii (strictly speaking of power-to-cost-ratio). Not CD, not DoDP, will allow the HB to combine striking power and precious durability to their fullest, both depriving the HB from ASv and offering no significant benefit on the charge.

And the charge should do it, right?

Besides, I think 156 pts is more than enough investment for a character that I could lose at any time to a stray ballista shot ;) Live and learn! :lol:

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Lord adrianus
Noble

Post by Lord adrianus »

Oh srry i didn't knew it was a tournament.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Very interesting list.

I would be tempted to dump the shades entirely though. I've never been a huge fan of them, and I think you could use the points for other purposes. Here are some ideas:

1) Add standards to a couple of the Dark Rider units. You don't have banners anywhere else, and the extra point of combat resolution can come in handy. If you are careful, you won't get them captured since the enemy can only capture a banner if you break from combat and flee -- not if you flee as a charge reaction. In a list like this, you don't have a lot of big combat threats. And having a couple Dark Ridre units that can quickly deliver an extra point of combat resolution can be worthwhile

2) Get a second dispel scroll, moving the seal to your Highborn.

3) Maybe a third chariot if you have the model?

Also, since you have the sorceress as a scroll caddy, I would keep her on foot. Even though you have plenty of units to hide in, the safest place for a scroll caddy is often in the middle of a forest, and if on foot, she can move in difficult terrain with no penalty.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Dyvim Tvar wrote: ou won't get them captured since the enemy can only capture a banner if you break from combat and flee -- not if you flee as a charge reaction
:shock: F*cking genius.

Dyvim Tvar wrote: Maybe a third chariot if you have the model?
I've been moderately impressed by the BSB-less chariot so far. They provide a good punch besides the BG... but it seems hard to get another one in. If at all possible I will execute a pincer as it is now: hold with BG, shatter flanks with combined chariot charges... that 3rd chariot would then mainly be used to provide a threat behind the DR. I'll test it next time, then.

Dyvim Tvar wrote: Also, since you have the sorceress as a scroll caddy, I would keep her on foot. Even though you have plenty of units to hide in, the safest place for a scroll caddy is often in the middle of a forest, and if on foot, she can move in difficult terrain with no penalty.
Daring to disagree :lol: the Sorc has mostly been hanging back, and as a consequence she's been the target of scouts, flyers, FastCav and the like. I fielded her on foot originally (in a unit of Shades, what else :roll: ) but it just didn't work out.

Dammit. Back to the drawing table.

PS: did win my 1st, Beastmen ;)

Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I've been moderately impressed by the BSB-less chariot so far. They provide a good punch besides the BG... but it seems hard to get another one in. If at all possible I will execute a pincer as it is now: hold with BG, shatter flanks with combined chariot charges... that 3rd chariot would then mainly be used to provide a threat behind the DR. I'll test it next time, then.

Another thing you could do with the points from dropping a unit or 2 of shades is add a few models to the Black Guard unit, allowing them to take a few casulaties from magic/missiles and still have some bodies. I would try to get up into the neighborhood of 18 if you could.
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

I woudl drop one unit of Shades and bump the other up to 7 Strong.

I woudl also bump the Harpies up to 7 so both units are more effective.

I would take 13 Black Guard for a frontage of 7 for 8 attacks.

Why so many DR musicians? Hardly usefull. Maybe take one unit with a Herald, one with a Standard and one with A Musician to fill out different roles on the battlefield, have two teams of such a setup.
Zeth
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Zeth »

Dyvim Tvar wrote:Another thing you could do with the points from dropping a unit or 2 of shades is add a few models to the Black Guard unit, allowing them to take a few casulaties from magic/missiles and still have some bodies. I would try to get up into the neighborhood of 18 if you could.

I completely agree, i think you should bump them to atleast 15 however and only field them 5 wide. 6 wide allows more attacks on your BG and it seems their only point is to be anvilish. An extra attack or two from then probably is not going to win them the combat. 6 wide also prevent you Chariot from a guaranteed frontal support charge on your turn. If your opponent is 5 wide and your 6, it is easy to line up so the chariot can not enter combat -assuming it has to charge the front- for a counter charge. In addition it would potentially allow, your BG to charge with support from two chariots, or a chariot and dragon, while having them 6 wide will not.

One more attack hardly balances out hindering support and less mobility.

Another thing to do in addition to giving some of the DR's standard's is upping their number to 6. This allows an extra half a wound in a lot of situations. Which can often lead to the extra CR that forces break tests to from 7 down to 6, or 6 down to 5. Both of which change the chances of your opponent staying by about 10%.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Zeth is dead right about Black Guard formation -- if you want to have an "anvil" and counter-charge with a chariot, you have to make sure that the unit is not too wide to preclude the chariot from getting into combat.
Zeth

Post by Zeth »

Prince of Arnheim wrote:Why so many DR musicians? Hardly usefull. Maybe take one unit with a Herald, one with a Standard and one with A Musician to fill out different roles on the battlefield, have two teams of such a setup.

Heralds give +1 BS and are definatly not worth the points.
Generally Standards are never worthwhile on DR, this list would one of the few exceptions for the reason's Dyvim mentioned.

Every single DR unit should take musician's just like he has them.
The difference is the +1 LD to rally. It is not for breaking ties in combat.

Failing to rally on LD 8 happends 10/36 (5/18 ) times, or 28% of the time.
Failing to rally on LD 9 happends 6/36 (1/6) times, or 16.6% of the time.

That is a really big difference and well worth 7 points.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: the NOISE... 2250 Dragon feat. BG

Post by Raneth »

Ahhh, the resentment at being out-smarted ;)

For the next match I've altered the list according to Zeth's and Dyvim's suggestions. I've also been less than impressed with the RBTs in this list, with all those DR running around the RBTs have been delegated to damage output, movement control being taken care of and all - and damage ain't their forte... here's the vamped up list for your consideration.

501 HB on Dragon lance, h.a., SDC, Enchanted Shield, Seal of Ghrond
152 Sorc Lv1 on DS Dispel Scroll x2 (joined by DR*)

127 5 DR rxbs, Muso
127 5 DR rxbs, Muso
111 5 DR StB, Muso
111 5 DR StB, Muso

78 6 Harpies
194 2 CoCs spears
97 1 CoC spears (BSB mount)

205 Cauldron of Blood
275 15 BG Master, StB, Muso

TOTAL 2250

Main change of course, the Cauldron instead of the RBTs. I decided to take the chance as the Cauldron is very yummy with most anything in this list: especially the DR's potential is increased greatly (multiple attacks FTW! :D ). It's a bit risky, but it has done well for me in the past. I'll post how it works out.

BG are fielded 5x3 now. Upgraded to FullComm as StB stacks with BSB and I need all the CR help I can get. Another Harpy was added because after all the changes, I had 13 points left, and took it as a sign :P

Thanks so far guys, keep on thrashing :lol:

[EDIT] Tuned a bit; added a 3rd chariot, took out some DR.
Last edited by Raneth on Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Interesting revision. I'm not a big fan of the Cauldron unless I have troops choices and abilities that really benefit from the cauldron -- specificallly, witch elves and anything with killing blow (Executioners, Draich of Dark Power, Touch of Death on an Assassin). Then again, Black Guard re-rolling hits and wounds could be pretty nasty . . .

Otherwise, looks good. Give it a shot and see how it works.
Zeth

Post by Zeth »

Interesting.
I don't think you will ever see the words "Take out that Cauldron of Blood" from me. I just love the thing.
It will deinfatly give those DR a it more punch.

BG look a lot better. I'm interested to see how this plays, out. Post a battle report please :)

Edit: Seems i'm just copying Dyvim doesn't it........damn
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Heads-up: seeing as they rule with CoB, and needing can-openers anyway, I swapped out the naked DR unit for a 3rd chariot. See how everything will fall into place, Dyvim? ;)

edited the list.

Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I like how it looks. If I had that many Dark Riders, it's something i would try out. Can't quibble with any of your choices.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Okay, so this afternoon I fought my first battle with the revised list. When I descended into the basement of my local GS, I was pleasantly surprised to see my opponent would be Leonard, someone I know as a fervent Blood Bowl player and a fellow Druchii. "This'll be a mirror match, then?" I asked. He pointed at the registration board, denoting him as an O&G player. We talked some more ("Traitor!"), reviewing some of each other's armies rules and such. Very useful to me, because it's been long since I fought the Greenskins.

The terrain had been set up beforehand and was pretty generic; one side with two hills, 2 forests one on each flank. The other side had some ruins near the edge of the table.

Rolled Wind of Death, and I kept it of course. Leonard rolled a 6, but defaulted to Gaze of Gork. So that Goblin Shaman I saw was probably merely a caddy.

Onto deployment. The trickery started here already as Leonard picked up a dice and rolled a 3. I asked Davy (the ref) what the hell that was and he stated matter-of-factly: "His Warboss can now Scout." Dammit! After winning the roll for deployment, I chose the side with the hills, just so that he couldn't. As it turned out he wouldn't have had any use for them either. We played with closed lists but swapped afterwards. Here it is:

Black Orc Warboss Armour of Gork, Amulet of Protectyness, Maad's Map 245
Black Orc Big Boss heavy armour Enchanted Shield, Ironback Boar 139
Goblin BSB light armour, Wolf Raggedy Banner 99
Goblin Shaman Lv1 Wolf Scroll, Brimstone Bauble 117

21 Boyz add. choppa, FullComm 178
21 Boyz add. choppa, FullComm 178
7 Wolf Riders bows, Boss, Muso 122
5 Wolf Riders bows, Muso 71

9 Savage Orc Boar Boyz (Big 'Uns) spears, shields, FullComm Banner of Butchery 360
20 Black Orcs shields, FullComm Spirit-Totem 368

Doom Diver 80
Doom Diver 80

Total 2250

He deployed all his cavalry on one flank, and the three Orc blocks were supposed to hold the other. I placed my chariots near the edges of the RFZ, BG and BSB smack dab in the middle. DR, Harpies and the Dragonlord were all on the flanks ready to be launched. He placed his Warboss in a forest, and having my memory refreshed on the rules (armed to da teef!), I could safely say he would be major trouble. (Very) Luckily, the first turn was mine.

The battle itself was very chaotic. After 2 turns, I'd lost a DR unit to Doom Diver fire, but I'd scared off the crew of one with the Dragon and the Harpies were positioned to take care of the other. Two (now one) DR units were slowing down the blocks to quite an extent, while Wolf Riders and rxbDR were fighting on the other flank. Though I could have kept ranged advantage, I felt that Boar Boyz unit should not be allowed to march too much, so I lost quite a number of DR in keeping these guys in check. Meanwhile, the Warboss had crushed one chariot already, revealing himself to be T6, saving on a base 4+ (because the chariot did so too). He was now heading for the CoB.

After taking care of the Doom Divers, I now had the Dragonlord and still a full 5 Harpies (they'd stayed well away from the Wolf Riders on their way in) behind enemy lines. The Warboss reached the CoB and slew two guardians, while receiving a single unwarded poison wound from the Hag. I'd anticipated this move and already some DR in place to charge him, and I thanked Khaine that the Hag survived :D The blocks were moving 4" a turn, if at all - Leonard's basic Orc units had both failed an Animosity test by turn 3 and the marchblocking was now being done by the Harpies. On the other side, my DR were slowly winning against the Wolves but that Boar unit was poised to charge my BG. Since magic had been useless (he had like 6 DD) I decided to commit my Sorc and her guard DR as well. This proved to be too much for the Wolf Riders, one unit fled through the Boars but apparently, that did not hinder them. The Dragon was supposed to cause Terror among the cavalry, but apparently he looked kind of cute this turn. Leonard losing 2 Boar Boyz to 'quell animosity' was funny though.

The Warboss fell against the DR charge and the Hag's poisoned attacks before he could swing his choppas again - MAJOR moral victory :D Set up my BSB for the counter charge on the Boar riders, the BG bracing themselves. The other chariot was moving in range of the Black Orcs.

'The' charge. The Boars hit the BG, the Master challenging the Boss. After combat, there were 3 BG left. 3! Supported by the BSB, they held firm, frustrating Leonard visibly. His other plan was also foiled; he tried to charge my Sorc guard with the Goblin Shaman, unsupported, but the cowardly blighter failed his Fear test and the whole unit was pinned. I didn't understand what the idea behind this move would be at the time, or why Leonard was now even more upset, but I decided there and then I would handle that unit from a distance.

I did so with all the rxb fire I could muster, but not after charging:
- the Boar riders, with the BSB chariot. They took 5 casualties (!!!) because of CoB support but the Big Boss wiped out the BG afterwards and they held, even though they were now bereft of their BSB.
- an Orc block, with chariot and Dragon combined. The Orcs were duly smashed, the chariot busting through behind the Black Orcs.

So now he had:
- Big Boss with 2 Boar Riders (not frenzied anymore)
- an untouched Black Orc unit
- an untouched Orc unit

and I still had:
- the Dragonlord, untouched
- 5 Harpies
- the Sorc and 4 rxbDR
- 2 rxbDR
- 3 DR with StB
- Cauldron with Hag
- BSB in CoC
- standard CoC

So yeah, I won this battle, that other Boyz block easy prey for the Dragonlord and the DR. By the end, the Black Orcs had not seen combat at all. The Big Boss threw quite a fit though - he managed to smash the chariot, then kill the BSB as well. Glad he didn't get into combat earlier...

In hindsight, I'm glad I made the changes as suggested - only having 12 BG would have been fatal in this instance for example. The Cauldron has done a better job of pressuring Leonard than the RBTs ever could. My troops turned from being weak to, well, killers. 3 BG and a chariot busting through 5 unsaved wounds on heavy cavalry? That's impressive in my book. DR are now a legitimate combat unit - their charge is now really something to be feared. The Dragon performed as expected - Leonard really didn't have any way to deal with it and the HB having more magic items would not have helped significantly.

All in all, I like how the list works. I'll post a report from next battle as well. Until then, if you come up with any brilliant ideas, be sure to post them ;) Thank you so far, you guys have been great! :D

Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Goo d result and excellent report. You should cross-post to the battle results forum if you haven't done so already.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Report of my third battle, the second with the revised list.

Another bloodthirsty one. This time in the form of a 16-year-old Daemon Prince of Khorne, escorted by his mum. :lol: Dave was the ref again and we took our time explaining the virtues of the Blood God in detail. Mum stayed for the battle, amusing us further, Chris (the kid) visibly annoyed. Turned out he had a pretty nice army!

Daemon Prince of Khorne Soul Hunger, Master of Mortals, Might of Khorne, Collar of Khorne 425

20 Marauders flail, FC 145
20 Marauders flail, FC 145
15 Warriors of Khorne add.hw, shield, FC Banner of Rage 395
Chariot of Khorne 150
Chariot of Khorne 150
6 Chosen Knights of Khorne FC War Banner 390
21 Warhounds of Chaos 126
7 Warhounds of Chaos 42
6 Warhounds of Chaos 36

10 Chaos Furies 150
6 Flesh Hounds of Khorne 96

TOTAL 2250

Table was heavily forested this time, no hills, but a building near the middle of the table and a line of bushes on one flank. I rolled for magic. I haven't written down what I rolled but I defaulted to Dark Hand. (Might as well skip the whole magic thing as I never got the damn spell through, another instance of DD stacking.)

Chris won for deployment; the bushes would be on my right flank.

His deployment:
F= Flesh Hound, X=Chosen, C=Chariot, M=Marauder, W=Warrior, H=Warhound, Z=Fury, D=Daemon Prince

----FFFFFF--XXXXXX--ZZZZ--------------------------------------------------------
----FFFFFF--XXXXXX--ZDDZ---------MMMMM-----------------MMMMM------------
------------------------ZDDZ----CC--MMMMM-CC-WWWWW-MMMMM-----------
----HHHHHH-------------ZZ-----CC--MMMMM-CC-WWWWW-MMMMM-----------
----HHHHHH-HHHHHHH--------CC--MMMMM-CC-WWWWW-MMMMM-----------
--------------HHHHHHH----HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH----------------------
-----------------------------HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH----------------------

Okay, that's the most accurate representation I could make. 21 Warhounds spread wide, just to make it all fit. At least no-one has to teach him the value of sacrificial units. The Furies were literally deployed in a circle around the Daemon Prince, an ItP meat shield. Sigh. At least I won the roll for the first turn. As he had left his left flank completely void of troops, I decided that's where I'd fly my Harpies and Dragonlord. As it looked he wanted the Daemon Prince back there for Ld issues - the downside of all those Warhounds. Therefore, I'd have to 'assassinate' it before our battlelines met. The DR raced up to the centre of the table, taking ambushing positions by the 'bottlenecks' all those forests created. One chariot had failed its stupidity test, the others and the BG moved forward normally.

He raced everything forward, keeping close to his deployment.

Turn 2, Dragon and Harpies were now behind enemy lines. My DR took pot shots at the various Warhound units, taking the big unit down to 18, the smaller ones to 5 both, but the one Panic test was made on an 8. Damn that Prince! Manoeuvred my chariots and BG to target those bottlenecks.

He raced everything forward, charging one DR unit with a small Warhound unit, but reforming his big unit to 6x3. The DR stood&shot, taking another 3 down, no Panic :evil: 2 connected. They took one DR before the others, fueled by the Cauldron, hacked them down. Note that if it weren't for the Cauldron, I'd have decided to flee from that charge.

My turn, I moved my Harpies behind the Chaos Warriors so the infantry would stop marching, and decided to take a gambit: I couldn't charge the Daemon with my Dragonlord so I charged the Furies surrounding him - I was hoping I'd overrun into him and finish the job. I pulled all of my rxbs towards the big Warhound unit, leaving my left flank guarded by some DR on marchblocker duty. Shot down 7 of the blighters, not much given how much fire I poured in. Again, no Panic, but at least I'd removed a rank. The combat between the Furies and the Dragonlord didn't go quite as well either, their Daemonic Ward and the nearby Prince had 3 standing after the Instability test.

His infantry lumbered forward (Harpies! YAAY!) but for one Marauder unit, who turned to face my Dragonlord. The once large Warhounds were now blocking his chariots LoS. He charged with them, my DR fled and would rally. On my left, more Warhounds scuttled in, followed by the Flesh Hounds and Chosen. His Prince had charged my Dragonlord, of course, and proceeded to crush the Highborn as I'd feared. Dragon took 1 wound, caused two one in retaliation. Luckily, the Dragon made the Break test and:

I rolled a 6 for Monster Reaction!!! (Spoiler: And I actually got to benefit from it! :D )

Marched the BG to my left, trying to hold the tide of Chaos filth, the BSBchariot and another in close support. Managed to manoeuver a DR unit to the left corner of the battlefield, at least threatening with a rear charge if the Chaos incursion would proceed towards my Cauldron. Shot up 3 Warhounds from the big unit, no Panic. But one smaller unit did flee. In cc, as you might've expected, the Dragon suffered 3 wounds from the Prince but dealt 2 in return, vanquishing him!

He: charged my BG with Flesh Hounds, moved his Warhounds to face the DR in the corner, moved his Chosen behind/besides the Flesh Hounds. Also charged some DRs with the large Warhound unit, I decided to S&S. Panic, fled through (ItP) Warriors. Charged my Dragon, with the Marauder block. As Chris fluffed his ToWound rolls on the Dragon and I could re-roll all of my six (!) S6 attacks the Marauders were ripped apart, failed their Break tests and were trampled to the ground subsequently. The BG took 7 casualties, but held.

Decided to be pro-active, since everything was in RFZ range. So the Warhounds were charged by the DR in the corner, the Flesh Hounds were flank charged by the BSBchariot and I just managed to get the other chariot placed there in contact with the Knights. The Dragon charged a Chaos Chariot. Moved the other DR back, shooting at the Warriors, taking down but a single one. The DR performed admirably, breaking through the Warhounds and rolling sufficient to connect with the Chosen. At this point I started salivating :twisted: The Flesh Hounds were dealt with easily to to the BG's higher I value, but neither unit was able to connect with the Knights after overrunning, so I held in. For the Dragon, it was happy days; he turned over the chariot and connected with the flank of the Warriors, taking down 4. They re-rolled their Break test to succeed.

Left only the Chosen Knights' combat. The 1+ ASv proved too much; after all the violence not a single wound was caused. The DR were hacked down in short order, the chariot reduced to a single wound. It broke and was run down, only a double 1 could've saved it I believe.

His turn. The Chosen saw the source of their annoyance, the Cauldron, and charged it. The remaining Chaos Chariot charged my chariot. Suffice to I lost the chariot, as well as some DR who should've known better. Nasty overrun. But once again the Cauldron's 4+Ward saved the day as the Chosen were only able to fell one Guardian. The Dragon ripped through more Warriors, again killing 4. Still they would not break.

Sensing the Cauldron's imminent demise, I decided to make use of it while I could, but not with the BSBchariot: it failed stupidity. I charged his chariot with 2 DR units (one including the Sorc) and the Harpies, who were left free after the Dragon had engaged the Warriors. The Knights were charged with the remaining unit of DR, the BG turning to face and moving towards the rear of the Knights. His chariot succumbed to the high number of attacks and the re-rolls. The Dragon finally broke the Warriors, connecting with the remaining Marauder block. After combat, they fled also :) , but I could not overrun anymore. Last combat: Knights VS Cauldron, the 2 remaining Guardians actually able to kill off one Knight before they were hacked asunder and the Cauldron was lost to me.

His turn. His force was now reduced to 5 Knights, smack dab in my deployment zone, Warhounds were fleeing off the table somewhere and it looked like the Marauders would suffer the same fate. His Warriors, having just fled through the Marauders, rallied, now 4-strong. His Knights charged a DR unit, and followed them off the table.

Thus the battle concluded. Another win against another bruiser army (the 3rd in a row). The dice could've been kinder to me but I'm not complaining. Neither was Chris, really; we both got what we wanted, which was a massive slaughter-fest. Blood to go around when Khaine and Khorne are at it ;)

Vemrik
Shade

Post by Vemrik »

I kind of like this list, and I'm tempted to give something similar a try. However, for pure comp-reasons I would in that case need to get rid of one DR-unit and a CoC. Do you think that with such a change it would still be possible to make it work? And if so, what would you put in there instead? Perhaps a Hydra? Or something else?

edit: Ah, just realized that you can't take another rare, bummer.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

If you're gonna drop those my first pick would be Cold One Knights, preferably with Soul Shadows Standard. This would make for an expensive unit, so you'll probably need to cut down some other things - but such a unit combines the 'bait' and 'hammer' roles very well, while enjoying a healthy 2+ASv of course.

Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

The Meat Grinder. Against the Dwarves. Scraped a draw - barely, and was all due to my contesting little units. :) Too tired to write a rep, but I'll try to amend later if I can remember enough details then.

Drawing against Dwarves always feels a little like victory to me :D