painted corsairs

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Darkstarr
Shade

painted corsairs

Post by Darkstarr »

Vanderghast
The Dark Scribe
Location: Sitting before a pile of scrolls, books and countless unfinished tales and poems

Post by Vanderghast »

Very nice! I particularly like the flesh tones, the severed head held in the axeman's hand is very well painted. I also like their cloaks and armour.
You should post some more miniature pictures so we can see them too, I'm sure they'll be pretty good too.
And the Angels of Lucifer descended on the world
The dead rose from slumber
And Darkness was Lord
Darkstarr
Shade

Post by Darkstarr »

yeah I have posted others prior, still working on my army, thx.
Shadowcorsair
Warrior

Post by Shadowcorsair »

That's very, very well done. I like how you painted the water on the base. exquisite.
Proud owner of http://www.chaossanctuary.net

92% of teens like rap. Copy this into your signature if you are part of the 8% with taste.
Valkar, assasin of khaine
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Valkar, assasin of khaine »

great job, i love the cloaks because it looks so much like a dragon skin with all those colors
queen latifah- does this make my butt look big!?!?!
Whobetta
Black Guard

Post by Whobetta »

Great job, was just wondering if you could explain how you did the front robes in red for them? I have been trying to master the technique with layers/drybrushing but I don't know if I'm doing it right. I've also tried to add water to the brush to "blend" or however that technique works but doesn't seem to work right

thanks again!
Duguay-trouin
Shade

Post by Duguay-trouin »

excellent work, I love the water bases.

I'm planning to do my bases very similar, but with a coat or two of Mod Podge(clear drying glue) over top. I think that this will give the water some depth rather than flat looking, and also a bit of shine/reflection. I got the idea from this article: http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/220
when i get a chance to finnish them, I'll post some pics.

anyway, great paint job, I love to see how people do their corsairs differently.

---> @whobetta: My advice would be to not worry about drybrushing the front of the robes, I find drybrushing is only best for very textured surfaces, such as hair/fur, chainmail, and scales/feathers.

I would advise you to keep trying with the layering/blending. An easy way to do this is to put some of the colour you want on your palet, thin it with water.(double what you normally would). Next, add black to darken the color to a shade that you want to use as your darkest shadow, paint the whole area with this mix. Now repeat the mixing process, right beside old mix. This time use a bit less black, so that the mix turns out lighter than the last one. You will be able find an apropriate mix, because your old one will be right beside on your palet. Now you can paint this mix over everything but the deepest shadows. Next step, use the plain color, without tint, to paint over the raised folds in the robe. Next, add some white to the plain color, and paint the new mix over the parts of the robe that would recieve the most sunlight.

--Notes: The Most important thing is to make sure your paints are thinned with water in every step, this will make the transition between layers much smoother.
- Secondly, note that you can make as many mixes as you want to use as layers to lighten up from dark to light. I only wrote 4 to get the point accross. The more you do the less the contrast bettween layers, and thus the smother the transition will appear.

hope that helps some,
Thats just my 4+1/2 cents
Whobetta
Black Guard

Post by Whobetta »

Duguay

Thanks for the tips... Just wondering how much paint do you usually put down on a pallet? I find myself putting "dabs" of a paint color as 1) it dries fast and 2) I don't want to waste a lot of paint on a small area.

Also when I put water in my paint for dillution effect it seems not to hold well to the model and the water tends to just let gravity do it's thing and slide depending on how I hold the model.

Secondly, would you suggest any "oranges" to add instead of White to lighten as right now I am using a "Gore Red" and mixing white seems to get a pink-ish color vs. a brighter red.

Thanks so much!
Flameseeker574
Dark Rider

Post by Flameseeker574 »

exellent work, i love the water bases and the cloaks, i was also wondering where you got the axe corsair guy, he is one of my favorite models but i cant seem to find him anywhere.
Step 1: Find a High Elf
Step 2: Find a preferably sharp object
Step 3: ???
Step 4: 3 Pieces!

my characters
rules
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=609716#609716
fluff
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=50387
Duguay-trouin
Shade

Post by Duguay-trouin »

Whobetta,

The amount of paint I put on the palet mostly depends on how big of a surface I am painting. Generally, however you are right, too little paint dries up faster than you can get it on the brush, and to much is a waste. Thining the paint with water should make it last a bit longer though.

As for your problems with the dilluted paints not holding, or sliding with gravity, I can think of two possibilities for why this is happening. The first is that your paint is dilluted too much, so that it is nearly a wash. Simply adding less water would solve this. The other possibility is that you did a good job of thining your paint, but there may be too much of it on your brush. Two strokes with less paint on the brush is better than one with more, but I'm sure you already know that.

oh, and yes using oranges, or even a bit of yellow would be fine if you are finding that you are getting a pink from the white, (red is funny like that). The only reason I used tints(black and white) was for simplicity.

Hope that helps

@Flameseeker,

the cosair with the axe, holding the head is one of the corsair reavers from the corsair command blister packs, also one of my favorites. I belive that there are two different musicians, three different reavers, and only one std bearer. The blister pack comes with one of each, but the ones you get are random. (I'm at least 95% sure)
anyway, you can buy it here;
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront ... orignav=13