Girathon's Project Log What What

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Girathon
Cold One Knight

Girathon's Project Log What What

Post by Girathon »

Last edited by Girathon on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dggrj »

Pretty good, clean lines, some good shading in places, needs more in others. Too bad it's on a friggin' ape, though.

Yes, I am like that clip from the video game about "withering something something passion of a thousand suns" when it comes to our unwanted cousins.
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Neves
Black Guard

Post by Neves »

Very nice! I like the way how you create the different shades and highlights, very clean. Gives a very professional feel! Good job ;)
On my signal...unleash Hell.
Girathon
Cold One Knight

Post by Girathon »

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

@ dggrj, what places in particular would you suggest saying I need to shade a bit more. I have a feeling the purple is one of them but if their are other please let me know.

Cheers,

Girathon
Noble

Post by Lord adrianus »

Like the others already said, clean and beautiful. Keep on going and post some more
Starting with Orks!!! A green tide will come (well, I have 34 boyz now :D
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Very nice, if you give the same attention to your other models like you did to your current ones, you shall have an excellent painted force.
On a side Note, Would of looked better on a Dark elf Noble of Highborn...Oh wait? We don't have any (Hint Hint).
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

Looks great!

The colours aren't too exciting but the painting is neat. :)
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I agree with Igor. You have nice technique and execution, but I'm not a big fan of the color scheme.

I think you need more contrast to create visual interest. Right now, everything -- even the skin tone -- is on the darker end of the spectrum. There is not a lot of contrast between the darkest and lightest parts of the models. And the main color choices of blue and purple are pretty close to each other on the color wheel, so you don't get a lot of contrast there either. You could build up your highlights a couple more levels on these models and they would improve markedly. You wouldn't even have to do it for every color--if every part of the model is highlighted to the hilt it can be almost as bad as if everything is too dark. But additional highlights on the purple and the skin tones would do a lot.

You obviously have a very clean technique and you could get some really spectacular results with it, but I think you need to apply some color theory to really recognize your potential.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

These two models are done in a suburb neat, clean though a bit uptight way (like HE's really are). But like others said before me, it lacks contrast. the shadings are all there (and very well done!) but it lacks highlights to create the contrast they really need. And by contrast I mean a real subtle highlight on the big pieces of cloth. Don't do anythig on the details. They are good as they are, but the big (less interesting) pieces of cloth, hair and metal might need some highlights. I however really love the gem on the Lord.
Cheers and keep 'm coming!

(oh, and we give comment because that is the reason you post the model, to boost your skills with the "critism" we give, remember, they look great).
Last edited by Mdk on Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

Did you use exclusively GW paints or others, also? If only GW, foundation and normal or just normal? If others, please list.

And I think Dyvim figured out what I didn't express well last time. Most of your highlight colors are mid-range tones. While this is fine for the most part to keep the cloth colors darker and such, there will always be a few brighter spots when in light, so just a few lighter highlights, used judiciously, would make the models "pop" (ugh I hate to say that) more.
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Girathon
Cold One Knight

Post by Girathon »

Wow alot of heavy-hitters responded, cool. Thanks again for a comments and ideas everyone. I think that some of the highlights were destroyed by my terrible photography skills, as the flesh is up to 50/50 Elf and skull white and the metals went up to pure mithril.
The area I totally agree with all of you on is the purple. I only did 3 layers (stupid laziness) and it has been bugging me sice I completed the mini, so sometime in the near future I plan on fixing that, as well as the hair.

@ dggrj: All GW paints, no Foundations (cheating in my opinion) and no other companies. I want to try so Vallejo paints but I dont know anywhere that sells them near to me....

@MDK: The point of this thread is too, as GeOrc would say, "Increase my own level (no comparison between GeOrc and me intended, his skills are unreal)" so Im glad you guys are giving your honest opinions. Please dont hesitate to tear into my work :)

So whats next on the agenda? I just got 20 archers, so Im planning on doing my first unit of 10, as well as working on a mage for the army as well. Im going to try to use the advice you have all given and we willl see where it goes from there.

Cheers,

Girathon
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

I have some Vallejo paints ordered here: http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/va ... charts.php since I was to lazy to go the the store near me.
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Girathon
Cold One Knight

Post by Girathon »

Hey everyone. Just finished building the archer unit, so I decided to treat myself by painting a mage :)
Just a few bits done so far but I wouldnt mind some opinions. I'm Definatley going to go up too pure Mithril Silver on the gold, but the face is still bugging me. Its lightest highlight is 2:1 skull white to ELf Flesh, and Im not sure its an improvement or not. Either way let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Girathon

Post by Dggrj »

The face isn't bothering you because of the severe underbite that the HE model has? Well, maybe it just has, um, I-can't-say-on-the-forums lips.

Do you do wet blending on the model or lots of layering? About how many layers on things like cloth? I do like your style, just not choice of army/models ;).
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

I think the model is a good start.

Again the bluish cloth is rather dull looking but if you can pick a good colour for the cape, the model will look great. Base coat blue highlighted up to white would be nice. Would look good with a red sphere and fire he is standing on.

Keep us updated :)

Lord adrianus
Noble

Post by Lord adrianus »

Again very good, I really like how you paint
Starting with Orks!!! A green tide will come (well, I have 34 boyz now :D
Girathon
Cold One Knight

Post by Girathon »

Quick update,

the red and purple parts are going to get another highlight, but Im stuck as far as the orb, the flames on the base and the staff handle are concerned. Im thinking blue blended up too white but Im not sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Girathon

P.S. @dggrj: I do lots of layers on stuff. The cloak had 4 layers of paint total not including the glazes in between layers.

@ Comrade Igor: I was going to go with the white cloak, and I got halfway done and the white looked really chunky, so I covered it up and went with purple :(

Post by Dggrj »

When you say glazes do you mean GW's idea of mixing paint and glue over a light colored coat (which I doubt you do) or what?

Very pretty paint job.
Girathon
Cold One Knight

Post by Girathon »

No when I say glaze I mean I take the darkest colour used on the area (in this case Scaly Green) dilute it with alot of water, and wash it over the area in between highlights. It really helps blend the layers together.

As far as the ratio I would say minimum 4 parts water to paint.

Try it out its amazing :)

Cheers,

Girathon
Cold One Knight

Post by Girathon »

Long time no update:
Real life stuff like school, the gym, work and drinking have interfered with my painting activities but following my last exam this thursday, the painting will begin.

That being said here are some more of my half-assed attempts at photography.

Finished Mage:

6 Fully Painted archers !?!?! Yeah, Im a painting machine.

Tried a closer shot here for a little detail, but at this rate Im going to spend my holiday figuring out photography and not painting.

Either way thats all for now folks, keep watching this space for more, including a tester using some suggestions Elf-painting-god GeOrc gave to me.

CHeers,

Girathon
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Cameras never do your models any justice, ey?
Archers look sweet
Is it just my computer or does the High elf mages skin look a bit dark. I know you can do what you want with them, though I wouldn't say thats a Asur's normal skin colour.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Girathon
Cold One Knight

Post by Girathon »

lol yeah Khelmor, camera's hate my models with a passion. And as far as the mage's skin, it looks like rest of my HE (actually its bit lighter) but he shuns proper light more then the rest of my mini's.

Perhaps when I do some tester's on a new DE scheme the camera's will stop hating me.

Cheers,

Girathon
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

The mage looks like he isn't quite finished, allot of dark areas which, while keeping with your colour scheme, do not complement the model. I still believe that the cape needs to be lighter then it's cloths, if you have another go at painting it white i think it will look perfect. Also about the thing he is standing on, are those rocks?

The archers on the other hand are absolutely fantastic, incredibly neat, great highlighting and the colours are very nice. :)