Crossbow warriors: pictures

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Crossbow warriors: pictures

Post by Lakissov »

Currently I'm working on painting my whole army (and even promised to myself not to play a game until I can field a whole painted army), and during the last two weeks painted a unit of crossbow warriors. They are ten with two musicians (the second one is for an older unit for which I hadn't made a musician).

The models were made using the idea from d.net - the warriors have their shields strapped to their forearm, and use the shield to lean their crossbows against it to shoot.

This time I tried to have more contrast in the way I paint skin, but seems that I wasn't very successful.

So, the pictures of the regiment:

here are also some pictures of individual warriors:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/Lakissov/rxb/sPC050014.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/Lakissov/rxb/sPC050024.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/Lakissov/rxb/sPC050026.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/Lakissov/rxb/sPC050036.jpg
El hombre
Executioner

Post by El hombre »

That is an EXCELLENT way to add shields to the xbow-warriors! I was currently holding back on doing mine because I wasn't convinced of the back-slung shields, but this is WAY better!

does it involve harsh cutting/bending to make it fit?

Greetz
El Hombre
From the ashes a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadow shall spring
Renewed shall be the blade that was broken
the crownless again shall be king.
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

it does involve a bit of cutting and no bending

I was using the crossbows which have both hands holding the crossbow (because I need the right hand to hold it). from this crossbow, I was cutting the left hand off, and then making the shaft of the crossbow flat with a knife - this is quite easy. another thing you'll need to do is try to fit the hands in the right position before you paint and glue them - the right hand will need to be cut a bit at the end in order to give it the correct angle, so that it would fit into the hole in the shield.

it's not difficult, so try it
Dark acolyte
Executioner

Post by Dark acolyte »

love the shields and X-bows :D nice base too. I personally like the skin the way it is but if you want more contrast perhaps a wash or a highlight on the skin would give you the contrast you want. Keep up the good work :)
Squall
Trainee Warrior

Post by Squall »

Great idea.
I really admire your deciding on not playing until the entire army is painted. I think I wouldn't be able to do such a thing.....
Death of a man is a tragedy.
Death of a million is a statistic.
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

Currently I'm working on painting my whole army (and even promised to myself not to play a game until I can field a whole painted army),

I thought I was the only one that did that??? Maybe we are just a little Obsessive or something. I do like the colors. It will really look good on the Tabletop!

@Lakissov: I agree, use a wash or highlight. It makes the model "pop" a bit better. Good luck!
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

[insert borat accent] VERY NICE !!![borat accent ends]

my army is entirely painted. but i´m repainting it all for this reason:
i got a new CoC chariot and told someone who had just started that my chariot causes fear. he looked at the rest of my army and said:

"i´m sure that when it is painted it will cause terror..."

that kinda made me aware of the paintjob and i started repainting.
(and did it ever since. for about 3 years by now. and i have finished.... errr.... let me think.... at least.... uuuh.... hrm.... five dark riders )

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

have bever tried to use a wash and don't even have inks. will it work if I just take the relevant paint and add water to it? and what color would be good in this particular case? bronzed flesh maybe? or something darker is needed for washes?
Squall
Trainee Warrior

Post by Squall »

Lakissov wrote:will it work if I just take the relevant paint and add water to it?

I don't use inks myself but adding water to the paint does its job. Bronzed Flesh should be ok.
Death of a man is a tragedy.
Death of a million is a statistic.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

With washes, wait until they are fully dry before you try to judge them, and too little is much better than too much.

And while we are on shielded crossbows, these are mine.

They aren't finished yet and the red looks better in real life, but you get the idea anyway.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

Maybe a little off topic but.... why two musicians?
Sorry but this question is tormenting me... :mrgreen:
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

as already stated, the second musician is for another unit. the thing is that I has previously assembled and painted another rxb warriors unit, but it has nu musician. the extra musician will be given to that older unit, while one regular model from it will join this new unit.
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

@Lakissov: I would be very careful making inks out of your existing paints with WATER. The water has a tendency to make the ink pigment start to "glob" together. Not for sure about the correct term if anyone knows it thanks.

I would go for a "Flow Improver," this actually makes the paint more fluid without losing the actual pigment to "globulating." You can find the flow improver for acrylic mediums just about anywhere paints are sold. Probably not your local GW store though :(

Good luck with the project!
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

El Hombre wrote:That is an EXCELLENT way to add shields to the xbow-warriors! I was currently holding back on doing mine because I wasn't convinced of the back-slung shields, but this is WAY better!

does it involve harsh cutting/bending to make it fit?

Greetz
El Hombre

Here's a link to the original thread with detailed instructions on doing the conversion:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=9492&highlight=

Nice to finally see some pictures of them executed so well (I didn't have a digital camera back when I posted the original thread). Nice job, Lakissov!
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

wow good job with those! i also didnt want my shields backslung, and being lazier (and newer to the hobby) i did this: http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... C-877F.jpg

and these guys are no where near being done ;)
ImageImage