Black Library Malekith book

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Black Library Malekith book

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Just noticed this little baby at the bottom of the list of the Black Library's 'coming soon' chart:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp ... &type=Book

anyone heard anything about this before?? Oh, and its written by Gav - whats the thoughts on that?

Personally I have nothing against the guy - games developing isnt an easy job and I think he has good intentions - itd be interesting to see how he writes this book in regards to Malekith...

Maybe it'd explain why he became such a git in the first place (besides his upbringing by his evil Shorgaal worshipping mother Morathi... ;))

- Beanz

edit: theres another one - due before the Malekith book (thats looks due in 09 :shock:) about Nagash - that could make for some pretty sweet reading - not sure about the cover mind - I somehow imagined Nagash to look a lot less Imhotep-esq (Imhotep being the name of the mummy from the films The Mummy and The Mummy returns - in specific: to me Nagash looks like Imhotep from the childrens cartoon version of The Mummy...
:roll:
Last edited by Dangerous Beans on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

I wouldn't want Gav writing a book on malekith, even though I'm fine with him about the whole screwing up our army and making dwarfs like...really good...
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Ahhhh Dwarves... :roll:

Why would you not?

- Beanz
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Because he hasn't been a real good help to us in the past (Apart from giving our Executioners Heavy armor...and many other things). Also because if you releasing a book on Malekith when the Army book is almost about to be worked upon, it could stuff up a few things. If the book comes out before our Army book, then it might actually give us some insight to what we may see in our new army book.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye

Malekith is due in Jan 09 - from all the hear say thats been floating about it looks like us druchii will be released around Christmas later this year (although of course that is entirely debatable still ;)) though you're quite correct - discrepancies between Black Library novels and warhammer rules can confuse things quite a bit.

On the spin side - what happens in the Malus novels doesnt necessarily correlate exactly with WHFB canon so even if the Malus book came out before it couldnt be taken as an accurate guide to our upcoming book

or at least thats my interpretation on things...

- Beanz
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

Looks like the title "Blood for the Blood God" to be released in Nov.'08 might be a lead in for DE7th. Of course it's all propaganda meant to stimulate sales at time of release. Although a little off topic, I'm starting to wonder if GW's financial report from a while back might have something to do with the fact that when Asrai were rereleased they recieved a complete new line in contrast to when Asur were rereleased, they only updated a selection of models and left the rest to carry on. I wonder what that will bode for our revision.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Hidaus morbusa
Executioner

Post by Hidaus morbusa »

Gav being the writer of this tome sounds good to me.

It may not be litterature-wise, but fluff-wise!

I think whatever the book is going to describe is goíng to reflect the rules given in our forthcoming army book. I mean Gav Thorpe is pretty close to where things are happening, huh?

So let us cross fingers for a nice description of how many dragons Malekith provides for his nobles of Naggaroth!
Lordofthenight
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lordofthenight »

Well, seeing how it's part of the Hero Hammer series (Time of Legends I think it's called) I suspect it'll be past-Malekith. Maybe going as far back as Malekith the Fair, and ending with the Finuval Plain. I expect all we get about the current timeline will be a plothanging event, such as the Witch-King giving a nice 'Summon my Armies' type speech.

And he was always such a nice bloke, you know?
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
WS: 4 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Repeater Crossbow, Short Sword, Shade Cloak, Light Armour
5 throwing daggers, 90gc
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

well, a good insight into the history of the Druchii would be actually a good thing. currently, the army lack identity. how does GW brand the druchii now? just a bunch of evil guys. this is plain stupid.

if the book about Malekith is about the history of the Druchii, however, then that might mean that GW want to rebrand the Druchii into "the guys who are not really evil, but greatly mislead; the guys who, in their fight against evil, have forgotten what it's like to be good". Honestly, I woul like that much more than the current caricature-type fluff of our army.
Lordofthenight

Post by Lordofthenight »

"the guys who are not really evil, but greatly mislead; the guys who, in their fight against evil, have forgotten what it's like to be good"

What do you mean 'misguided'? The Asur are the evil usurpers and betrayers, turning on us after we saved them from Chaos. They cast out Lord Malekith, the rightful king, and then drove us from our ancenstral lands. But we will have our vengance.

And yes, I get what you mean. :P But that's pretty much what I'd say druchii were like at the moment - we feel that we were betrayed, and we'll use every weapon in our arsenal (ie slavery, torture, terror tactics ect) to survive and reconquer our homes.
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
5 throwing daggers, 90gc
Frosty the evil snowman
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Frosty the evil snowman »

I have heard about the book Malekith for sometime now .The series is called Time of Legends so I would think it would be set after the 1st war against chaos when he is still a kid (imagine that a a gangly, awkward,pimply Malekith)and culminating in the sundering, after that its the same as it is know ,with him trying to destroy the HE.Also in this series it has a book for Sigmar and Nagash .
FROSTY,COMING TO A TOWN NEAR YOU
Frosty the evil snowman
Slave (off the Altar)

I forgot to say there is also a new Malus Darkblade series coming out as well its called the ''Chronicles of Malus Darkblade'' Obviously its going to be about him trying to get his soul back
Hidaus morbusa
Executioner

Post by Hidaus morbusa »

I thought The Chronicles was just an omnibus...a collected edition of the 5 titles in the series.

Is that wrong? If not ...huzzah! :D
Frosty the evil snowman
Slave (off the Altar)

I thought The Chronicles was just an omnibus...a collected edition of the 5 titles in the series.

Well its says ''The Chronicles of Malus Darkblade" volume one ,so I would you are wrong about the omnibus and say its a whole new series.
Lordofthenight

Post by Lordofthenight »

When I asked Dan Abnett about that, he said he thought it was just the first three books in an omnibus. I'd hope he knows what books of his are being released.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
5 throwing daggers, 90gc
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Since it is Gav who will write our new armybook, seeing him as the author to this Novel does not surprise me. I'll buy one.

~ Nag
Ilokir lúinwë
Asur Bane

Post by Ilokir lúinwë »

I will as well.. It would be nice if he would describe Malekiths earlier travels and his role during the advent of the War of the Beard. It would be very interesting to get an insight of his change from good to evil... We can guess now what this change provoked, but it will be very nice if we got some hints from a GW authority...
Class: Warrior
Ws: 6 dex: 4 str: 4 T: 3 Int: 4
Skills: Awareness, Defensive fighting, Parry
Equipment: Medium armor, Longsword, 2 Throwing daggers, 50 gold coins

Don't forgive, don't forget
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Lakissov wrote:if the book about Malekith is about the history of the Druchii, however, then that might mean that GW want to rebrand the Druchii into "the guys who are not really evil, but greatly mislead; the guys who, in their fight against evil, have forgotten what it's like to be good".

Their story would come to resemble more that of the Sons of Feanor. Which would probably be a good thing. Just cut "Silmaril", paste "Nagarythe", and off you go.

Layne.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Frosty the evil snowman
Slave (off the Altar)

It would be nice to read about his early years,I want to know how screwed up his parents made him.
Slortor

Post by Slortor »

yeah i think some more stuff on malekith (who is one of the most powerful and yet most enigmatic characters in WHFB) would be worthwhile - i mean the plot advancement he's had since the book was the special story in WD300!!
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

also, it would be nice to learn more of the role that Morathi had in Malekith's fall. I mean, we can only guess if Malekith was a secret Cult follower or a devote fighter against the cult. in the first case, it's mosot likely the chaos forces that corrupted him; in the second, it's jealousy.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I am more interested in the effect Aeniron had on his son and what effect Widowmaker had on his personality.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Vogon
Highborn

Post by Vogon »

I'm looking forward to it as well. I'm loving the Horus Heresy books (and I don't p[lay 40K at all) and can't wait for some of these parts of the history of the WHB world that have been hinted at expanded on.

That Gav is writing it is not a problem for me, Ok he's never going to win any awards for his writing but he's got as good a handle on the fluff as anyone.

Just please hire some damned proof readers this time :)

Cheers

Vogon
Now choose either die in the vacuum of space or...........
Tell me how good you thought my poem was.

**Make Tea Not War**
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Vogon wrote:he's got as good a handle on the fluff as anyone.
His title on Games Workshop is "Lead Background Designer" (unless he's changed lately), so he should have the fluff right. If not, it is in his power to change it :D

~ Nag
Darkest one
Trainee Warrior

Post by Darkest one »

I don't have a problem with him writing a book he knows a lot about warhammer

I how ever don't think the book will have anything 2 do w/revising dark elves

I hope he makes us more like dwarfs because Dwarfs r a dieing race and they kick soo much but it no even funny but on the other hand you cant let dwarf die in a fantsy game but they still don't have 2 b so unbeatable or atlesat so good every one should b balanced!
Don't make me hurt you.......
You know I will