My (DE ofcourse!) Army Diary

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

alright

i've finished my (ig)noble captain, ready to enslave the people of the oldworld... maybe... if i can win some matches (i play 6th ed)

back: http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... 1/back.jpg

he's fairly standard, i used a cold one knight on a darksteed, with some green stuffed sea dragon cloak on his back, andi tried to give the impression that the saddle is also lined with the stuff, most happy with the claw dangling from his saddle
ImageImage
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

hi again

looks like my black undercoat ran out... can i chaos black from the pot to undercoat metal / plastic models?
ImageImage
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Yes it's fairly standard, almost too much so. In the same position, I would (and did) find almost any other horse than the current Elven steed for him. But no blame to you. You can undercoat from the pot, on plastic and metal, but you have to let it dry for ages before the adhesion will be anywhere near as good as it is with spray. Like, seriously, a couple of days. Can you give us a shot of his Sea Dragon Cloak, or indeed his Sea Dragon Saddle?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

there are pics to come, when i get my hands on a camera again, but in the mean time, i'll just let everyone know that i've almost finished my 2 dark riders, the musician, as well as the king's wall from BFSP

one of the problems that has risen is... do i put sand on the bottom of it where the ground is? I don't want to obscure the rocks, and i'm worried that sand will do just that

pics to come
ImageImage
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

i'll be gone for at least a week, in the meantime, hopefully i can get some feedback on the bases i've made, and advice on how to make it more interesting
i dont know if i'll seal it or not with watered down pva, if anyone else has any ideas on what to seal bases with, please share = )

and the pics of the cloak: http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... /cloak.jpg

and the saddle http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... apitan.jpg

that's all there is to the saddle, its not very well done as i wasn't sure what i wanted to do, if i were to do another noble like this one, i'd probably wrap it around the horses front and make it much much bigger, extending over all four edges of the saddle, as opposed to giving only a suggestion of it
ImageImage
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

It is difficult to see the work you've done on the saddle : one more reason to make the next one plenty bigger. Also the cloak should have been a fair bit bigger. You've been reading The Lakissov Plan; same advice to you.
They're both nice sculpts for all that. Keep up the good work, see you next week.

Layne.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

I like the lines. They look very straight and smooth.

The armor could use a bit more contrast between plates. This can be easily created with a wash and they a dry brush of the same color you used for the armor. Make sure you don't put too much wash as it has a tendency to go everywhere.

As for the sculpting issue:

I have bought a lot of sculpting tools... Then it turns out I only really use one. Once you find a good tool you tend to be able to use it to do everything with it. My tool has two ends. One with a flat blade like tip and the other is a curved end.

I have found a few good articles on www.coolminiornot.com, just look under articles forum and scroll down to sculpting. The articles are varied so you might have to do some looking for what you really need.

i dont really mind as im not a gamer, well... not right now, i only have 6th ed. rulebook etc so dont go into stores, all my friends stopped before i started etc... only interested in painting really

That is exactly how I started out. Kept at it till I finally moved to a new town and found a few people who actually did play. By that time I had painted about 4 armies. Now that I am on my 5 army I am glad I had the time to paint all those models to get good at.

I would suggest you starting your own file of models you find on the internet. This can help you get a few more ideas about modelling and painting for your next paint jobs.
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

ok

i've based all my crossbowmen like the ones above, and they're fairly happy dudes, so i've turned my attention onto other things, namely... a more characterful character

im using harlequin shadow elf warriors and though they're realistic scale (or at least they look it) i plan on using them with minimal conversion, if you guys know what they look like tell me what you think?

i was thinking of standing one next to a coldone (standard, not malus)

i'll look up some tips on sculpting saddles for those bad boys, but meanwhile, thats what im upto

uni has started, so i'll post the finished product in a new thread, this will be my last post here!
ImageImage