Is Gavin Thorpe designing 7th Ed DE?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Handmaiden
Beastmaster

Is Gavin Thorpe designing 7th Ed DE?

Post by Handmaiden »

7th Edition Dark Elves? Should he even?

Do people think he would be more qualified to see the shortcomings or mistakes of his own work , or do you think that a fresh persective is needed?
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Is Gavin Thorpe designing 7th Ed DE?

Post by Rabidnid »

Handmaiden wrote:7th Edition Dark Elves? Should he even?

Do people think he would be more qualified to see the shortcomings or mistakes of his own work , or do you think that a fresh persective is needed?

Whoever did the Skaven army book, Alessio Cavatore i think. DE have a similar blend of speed, nudity, and magic to the skaven and could make good use of slave troops and critter packs to bolster their numbers.

Witch elves leading packs of young cold ones on leashes would be too cool for words :D
Last edited by Rabidnid on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Gav Thorpe's favorite army is dwarves. That is my answer, and everyone just digest that and try to figure out what I mean.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

It means for a start, he doesn't even want to understand the magic phase - bad news for us. That, or it means the Cauldron of Blood is about to become as insanely badassly broken as the Anvil of Doom - good news for us. Whatever it means, Khel, I'm just glad Rabidnid isn't the lead designer... no slaves!

Layne.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Handmaiden
Beastmaster

Post by Handmaiden »

lol I dont think I'd give DE slaves either, not withoit a 0-X unit limitation, or Rare or special choice. :shock: While its characterful, boy it can be cheap/exploited as hell if it was made a Core selection.
Murmandamus
Noble

Post by Murmandamus »

His Majesty G.T is hated by many dark elf players. Eighter if he will make our book he would have chance to redeem himself in eyes of players or he will add prefix Ethernal to this hatred. It has to bee seen. Hope his favourite sword from armoury is no longer lark sword(as he said in one of the intervievs)
Zeth wrote:sorc on a highborn is not a good unit option
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

You've mispelled, Murmandamus. It's not the Lark Sword, it's the Dork Sword. :lol:
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

I agree with you Arnold Layne, I do not want any type of slave in our army list. We are not a Horde army, which we will become if the designer brings forth slaves and/or swarms.

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Handmaiden
Beastmaster

Post by Handmaiden »

err I thoughT i was the one who objected to slaves.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

err I thoughT i was the one who objected to slaves.

Join the Queue :?

I don't want another bungled revision like Gav gave us last time. He may of been running behind, but it doesn't excuse him for bringing out the book like he did (Revised the army book I mean).

Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

They could be a core choice linked to the number of WE or exe units in the army, the same as the skaven list does. If the DR become special in the next book it only leaves 2 core choices. What would you suggest
"Luck is the residue of design"
Aleraen
Cold One Knight

Post by Aleraen »

Seriously. No more hate on Gav. I'm tired of it. Do you think he's just sort of sat on his hands while the last few books have been made? As far as I am aware, he did the VC book, and look how sick they're about to become.

Yes, our book and our army as a result is weak. But I don't believe it's Gav's fault. DE somewhat suffered from it being what was essentially his first project, and when coupled with HE, the two books are very conservative in their approach of the rules: they didn't want to cock it up.

I don't care about Dwarves. I care about Druchii. If Gav does not, then yes, I believe they need to get someone else to do it. But if you lot keep talking trash about each designer that "messes up" the army, pretty soon, no one's going to want to do a new book for us. It won't be exciting or appealing to them. We'll essentially become the Squats, and when they couldn't get excited about them...

They killed them.

Just food for thought.
Aleraen Gleamfollower
High-Consort of Army Wide Hatred
<Sirist> So you won't lose me. I'm still around. I'm just in you, and in everyone I've known.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Improved magic and close combat phases. Movement we already own, except for against Wood elves, but that is how it should be. How to go about it, I have made many suggestions, which I need not repeat here. But first and foremost, I would suggest grabbing Mr Thorpe in a headlock and beating the concept of the magic phase into his head with a small hammer. Elves are magical, Dark Elves especially. Make it so.

Also, improved magic item list, especially more bound spells, and why in the snot does the Armour of Darkness include a shield? Not so that they are uber, but just so that they can actually ever feasibly be used. I can't guess how he might think the Dark Sword is a good thing, unless perhaps he has himself been stabbed with it.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Aleraen wrote:Seriously. No more hate on Gav. I'm tired of it.

I don't think the Pot should call the kettle black there, Aleraen. A few of us can get tired of your Mike lee bashings, no offense :P

Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

Nothing wrong with the idea of slaves, it doesn't automatically follow that they will turn us into a horde army, or that it will be massively unbalancing.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

What I don't like about it is, slaves aren't Dark Elves. I already have an army of Dark Elf slaves, though some would insist I refer to it as an Empire army.

Dig?
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Vallorn deathblade
Noble

Post by Vallorn deathblade »

if Gav is doing our book then i hope (for his sake) that he dosent mess up like before or there WILL be a large (and angry) mob of D.net user and generic DE players outside his office. :twisted:

that was your final warning Gav!

p.s. im all for slaves in our army if they have restrictions.
Belial. wrote:Fighting Eldacar over fluff is like fighting Socrates over philosophy...

Alkkrision wrote:-Alkkrision: Druchii.net's own source of bad ideas :).
Almundis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Almundis »

I cant really see slaves making an appearance unless they are maybe a 0-1 choice. I mean how disgraced would an elf be if his keep was saved by mongrel humans instead of is own guard? very. and also slaves are currency, and how many empire cannons do you see loaded with gold bars? omitting that 9 year old who paints everything gold of course :lol:
name: Rhyithan Uematsu
WS 4 (5)
Str 4
T 4
Dxty 2
Int 5
Equipment: Longsword, Shield, Lightarmor, Seadragon Cloak, Enchanted Draich (+1 WS).
skills: Two-Handed Weapon Fighting
10gc

awesome tattoo - priceless.
Jaycee
Assassin

Post by Jaycee »

No slaves please and give Gav a break, he is only human after all.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

You know I am fairly sure that this thread has come up before and its just an excuse to hell at someone who in all probability is not listening and doesn't even know that your bad mouthing him. Besides frankly our books not so bad, he was new, aparantly a tad preocupied with developing inquisitor so its hardly suprising that the books not the best of the best. Let him have another chance I say, and if people disagree, well there isn't realy much that you can do about it.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Almundis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Almundis »

ah the glory of democracy eh?....
name: Rhyithan Uematsu
WS 4 (5)
Str 4
T 4
Dxty 2
Int 5
Equipment: Longsword, Shield, Lightarmor, Seadragon Cloak, Enchanted Draich (+1 WS).
skills: Two-Handed Weapon Fighting
10gc

awesome tattoo - priceless.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Oh come on, it wasnt Gav´s fault that the book got messed up. A lot of factors played into it, and he did stick his neck out and give us a Revised edition. Something he got a lot of flakk for from others. He admited the book wasnt all that and did what he could to fix it.
Void
Trainee Warrior

Post by Void »

on this point about slaves, i don't think they should be brought in as like uthers had said DE's r not a horde army. also in all the fluff (hate that word) i've read DE have never used slaves as warriors,
1. i think if u gave DE slave weapon they would jst turn on their masters no matter how hopeless victory was, although they have been used in cunning plans, like in the rule book
2. i also object because DE mite be cruel and resort to any means to achieve their ends sometimes, they do have pride and honour, i don't think they would ever let slaves do their fighting for them.
well thats my 2 cents worth,
V.
"Time, its an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."-Ford, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Well actualy the whitch king used druged slave warriors to spearhead an assult on Ulthuan once. But still I agree with you, you dont give slaves weapons and you dont try to kill people with money.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I agree with no slaves, very little is said about slaves fighting in the fluff, and it does seem unDruchii to use em, a bunch of ragged looking humans (or whatever else gets raided) would only look good as slaves in a chaos army, and even then it would be iffy...

as for Gav the Great (p.s. I'm being sarcastic) All armies that get redone usually come up over a GW higher up going "hey, I have some great ideas for X army, lets redo them" and that's where army lists come from (and also a reason for Dark Eldar never getting redone, no one at GW plays them), so any army book could be messed up by anyone, not just Gav.

also, Gav may love his dwarfs, but if you read battle reports in WD, he sure doesn't know how to use them...

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior