CoK Unit Sizes - Help

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Infrazael draennonssraav
Slave on the Altar

CoK Unit Sizes - Help

Post by Infrazael draennonssraav »

Hey everyone. I have been collection Dark Elves for about two years now but have only played one game ever (I primarily play Warmachine, and before that Dark Eldar in 40k).

However recently I've been building more models and I really want to finish up my army. I think I'll start out with some 1500pt games then move onto 2150pt, which is the standard army size where I live.

I liked themed armies and love both Dark Riders and Cold One Knights, and my initial plan (and still) is to make an all Cavalry force, inspired by the "Army of the North" from the Dark Elf army book.

I guess I'll just go ahead and give my 2150 army list. I don't have the exact points and stuff, but here is the jest.

-Highborn w/Gauntlet of Power, Mystic Shield of Light, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, mounted on Cold One
-Sorceress, level 2 with Darkstar Cloak + Power Stones (or a SoG), Cold One
-Noble w/War Banner, Hydra Banner
-15x Dark Riders x/RxB
-4x Cold One Chariots w/Spears

Now here is the question. I originally had two units of 10 CoK's, no Hydra Banner, Highborn in one and Noble in the other.

I've been playing around with three units of CoK's lately:
4xCoK, Highborn, Noble
6xCoK, full upgrades
6xCoK, full upgrades

I might have some points left over. If so I might add 1-2 more Dark Riders, or maybe another CoK. I don't know yet.

I've been reading the pinned threads, and found the "Multipel Small Units" theme really cool and I think it fits with my playstyle. So I think this is better - my idea of the CoK's is to cause massive damage and break units, not prolonged fights. And with 4 Chariots, my opponent will have MANY threats against him, all mobile and should be able to easily outmaneuver and outflank most armies.

Thoughts and comments please.

Thanks,

-Miluo
Lord adrianus
Noble

Post by Lord adrianus »

I'm not sure how you field the DR but I think you should use them in units of 5.

I also strongly suggest putting your sorc. on a steed. You do NOT want a stupid sorceress....and remind power stones also count towards max magic items allowance (you say powerstoneS...just in case :D)

Then some errors:

Your BSB cannot have 2 magic banners, just one (is he even a BSB?)

The minimum unit size of CoK is 5, even when you put your highborn in you should start with 5

If you put these changes through it would look like a very fun list to play. Maybe you should add a bolt thrower.

Good luck with the list!
Starting with Orks!!! A green tide will come (well, I have 34 boyz now :D
Infrazael draennonssraav
Slave on the Altar

Post by Infrazael draennonssraav »

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yes, my Dark Riders are in three units of five each.

I'll put the Sorceress on a steed.

I might have gotten the banners confused. I upgraded the Noble to have the standard (Battle Standard right?) for the +25pts or something like that, can't remember off the top of my head. Gives him the ability to have a magical banner of any point value? So I chose the Hydra banner.

I'll add a CoK so my unit with the Hydra Banner is seven strong.

I'll probably the switching up the Gauntlet/Shield combo with the Draich/Heartstone one, depending of what I feel like and what I'm playing against.

I think it will be a really fun army. I don't know how competitive it will be, but I don't play competitive Fantasy, I just want a fun and beautiful army.

Interestingly, this army is inspired by my friend's Orcs & Goblins; he fields something like 5-6 Chariots, and is a really destructive and competitive army.

Thanks! I need some more stuff to finish 2150 but I have enough for a fun 1500pt army.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

The minimal unit size for Cold Kniggits is 5, before any character joins that unit. So a unit of 4 + two characters is illegal.
The Battle Standard Bearer (BSB for short) is indeed for a noble, and costs 25 points.

My personal preference for Cold Kniggits is to have them small and cheap 8as cheap as Cold One Knights can be, gah...). A unit of 5 with only a musician is cheap, and almost as efficiant as the other combos. This way, you can have two units of 5 knights for 150ish points each, instead of having all points in one unit. All it takes is a single failed stupidity test and you're screwed..

~ Nag
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

You might want to try and have Malus Darkblade instead of your highborn and stick him in the unit with the hydra banner because then Malus becomes an absolute beast in combat along with the Knights and Noble. You get 6 attacks just from malus, 4 from spite, if its unit of 7 knights with FC then 15 attacks plus 14 cold one attacks and then the noble gets 4 and his cold one gets 2. Adds up to 45 attacks if everyone is in contact and my quick calculations are correct :D Quite deadly against any unit and probably the hardest hitting hammer i've ever seen. Although stupidity might ruin your plans Malus is Ld 10 so don't worry too much
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Malcom
Warrior

Post by Malcom »

You might want to try and have Malus Darkblade instead of your highborn and stick him in the unit with the hydra banner because then Malus becomes an absolute beast in combat along with the Knights and Noble. You get 6 attacks just from malus, 4 from spite, if its unit of 7 knights with FC then 15 attacks plus 14 cold one attacks and then the noble gets 4 and his cold one gets 2. Adds up to 45 attacks if everyone is in contact and my quick calculations are correct Quite deadly against any unit and probably the hardest hitting hammer i've ever seen. Although stupidity might ruin your plans Malus is Ld 10 so don't worry too much

Im not sure but I dont think the hydra banner counts for the mounts, but my God, I think you are right. If you could seperate out seperate units and hit them individually with that unit, even in the front it would be a beast. I like the idea of the all calvary army with one monster hitty COK unit. Infrazael, you should post how well it works.
Do onto others, Before they can Do onto You....
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

malcom wrote:
You might want to try and have Malus Darkblade instead of your highborn and stick him in the unit with the hydra banner because then Malus becomes an absolute beast in combat along with the Knights and Noble. You get 6 attacks just from malus, 4 from spite, if its unit of 7 knights with FC then 15 attacks plus 14 cold one attacks and then the noble gets 4 and his cold one gets 2. Adds up to 45 attacks if everyone is in contact and my quick calculations are correct Quite deadly against any unit and probably the hardest hitting hammer i've ever seen. Although stupidity might ruin your plans Malus is Ld 10 so don't worry too much

Im not sure but I dont think the hydra banner counts for the mounts, but my God, I think you are right. If you could seperate out seperate units and hit them individually with that unit, even in the front it would be a beast. I like the idea of the all calvary army with one monster hitty COK unit. Infrazael, you should post how well it works.

It counts for mounts too. That's whats makes it rock so friggin hard :D
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

It rocks on CoK - yes the mounts get +1A too - but it has a cost to match. With a HB joining them we're easily talking 500pts here.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Malcom
Warrior

Post by Malcom »

It counts for mounts too. That's whats makes it rock so friggin hard

WOW, That just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
Do onto others, Before they can Do onto You....
Asrael
Warrior

Post by Asrael »

Nice idea, but i wouldnt do that. The thing with placing characters in a unit of Cold one Knights is that it attracts missile fire like crazy. A BSB might work, but put malus in it and i can quarantee it will not make it across the table (unless your opponnent has little or no shooting/magic or sucks at rolling dice). Tried it myself with a unit of 6 Cok with FC, SSS with in it my Highborne with Ha, Sdc, Co, DoDP, HsoD. Most of the time they got toast.

Nice list btw. Im planning on fielding a list like it, except my higborne is on a dragon, I dont have any wizards, just a noble on a dark pegasus with SoG, 4 units of dr (2 with RXB), 3 units of 6 CoK with just a champion, 6 harpies and 2 war hydra's. Thats 2250 points ^^.
"Gather the woman and children. We shall make a river of blood as tribute to Khaine. Tonight, there shall be a red moon."

Asrael, Grand master of the Order of the Bloody Hand
Master of arneim
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Master of arneim »

i'd suggest to try your heroes on dark steeds... faster, not stupid and maybe you can put them in infantry ranked units at the beginning... Enemy usually expect you'll put them in cold ones and so they know their exact position when you field Coks... Then with M18 they can reach your coks in quite every time, they are not subject to supidity and can be more flexible (think about your highborn charging and enemy warmachine directly from a unit of spears).
If you get only cavalry units you could try to unite your char to drs to get the flanks of enemy units... but this is up to you.

About sorceress... 1 of 2^lvl is not going anywhere... too weak for casting and with no scrolls too weak for defending... if you want to play offensively you need at least another with other 2 power stones.

Size unit of Coks are perfect (except the 4 as said)... try to use the warbanner on one unit (as said you bsb can't take 2 standards)... I would suggest to drop the musician... quite useless and still 8 point more in a unit of 210.
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

I know many Object to the insane sized CoK units... but if doen well you can make it across the table... terrain and screening units are your friends.

8-10 CoK with a Warbanner. Malus Darkblade or a Noble/Highborn on Cold One. BSB with hydra banner. If you survive th ecrossing of the table (Easiest way to survive the crossing is to take a Hydra also. Opponent will be so busy shooting at your hydra that the CoK might make it. ) and your 500+ Point unit of CoK will Get amazing combat resolution even if it doesn't kill. Working in concert with another unit of CoK or DR as flankers you get +1 flank, +1 Outnumber, +1 Rank, +1 Unit Standard, +1 Battle Standard, + 1 Warbanner... You are an outnumbering Fear causeing unit with massive death dealing capability and 5-6 Inate CR on the firs tcouple rounds of combat unitl that rnak gets killed or supporting flankers become unavailable.

Otherwise the best makeup for them is in units of 5-6 with no upgrades and use the unit sin pairs with flankers.