highborn headaches

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Alpha169
Slave on the Altar

highborn headaches

Post by Alpha169 »

im trying to decide how to kit up my highborn. the choices i think i want are a dragon, a cold one or a dark steed but i cant decide, i would appreciate any help on this and as to how you could kit them out. thanks :lol: 8)
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Well there are plenty of threads discusing how to kit out a lord on a dragon. Personaly I use HA,Enchanted Sheild, SDC, Crimson Death and the black amulet (or the heart stone of darknes if I am allowed to use it) But others prefer a lance. Either way trust me you want a ward save.

If you want him in a unit of Cold ones then I would advise you to keep the price down, full armour, SDC, sheild and a lance should see you through. Plus you probobly want some one in your army to have the seal of Ghrond and he is as good as any. I am not sure why you would want him on a dark steed but the same would apply.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Dragon - solo killing machine
Draich of Dark Power
Heart-stone of Darkness
HvA, SDC, Shield

Cold One - only made him once, he won a duel with vampire lord (although it took a while)
Armour of Eternal Serviture
Crown of Black Iron
Cold One, Shield, SDC, Great Weapon
(3+ armor save in CC, 1+ for shooting, 5+ ward and regeneration - he was unkillable)

Dark Steed - personally wouldn't put a lord there but a noble
Lifetaker
Ring of Hotek (so the enemy mage has to move, preferrably under your fire, or suffer lots of miscast)
HvA, SDC, Shield, Great Sword

I truly believe Great Sword to be our best "magic" weapon for its points cost... Draich on Dragon lord is unique because he tends to hunt enemy lords, and dark elves can't win war of attrition.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Dalamar wrote:
I truly believe Great Sword to be our best "magic" weapon for its points cost... Draich on Dragon lord is unique because he tends to hunt enemy lords, and dark elves can't win war of attrition.

Hi, welcome to 7th edition. The halberd is now as strong as the great weapon on your dragon rider and strikes at initiative...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Must've missed that bit <.< can you direct me to the page number?

edit: found it, guess I was blind >.> switch it to halberd then, doesn't make that much difference for hero that's supposed to be rank-and-file-mower
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slerac fellblade »

Draich of dark Power is a magic item that says it uses two hands and gives +2 to strength and killing blow, It does not say great weapon in it's description and may i point out as it is a magical weapon it bends the rules anyway. Unless it says Great weapon: +2S requires two hands and confers killing blow it still gives the highborn str 6 and killing blow. Now if you am him with a regular great weapon he is only str 5.
Ian: We are trying to help as many starving children as possible
Me: Wait a day and there will be less of them
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Draich of Dark Power, Heartstone of Darkness, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, DRAGON.
Gives you strength 6, killing blow, and still attack in ini-order. That's the lord I use in my army.

~ Nag
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

yup, that's the first dragonlord I use,
If I happen to get 2 dragons (3k points) second one gets GoP and Crown of Black Iron.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Garluch
Beastmaster

Post by Garluch »

Exactly my combo too, but he kinda dies quick...
Although this makes my other troops come forth relatively unharmed.
Saint of m
Highborn

Post by Saint of m »

Cureently Feilding: Noble/Highborn on COld one ( I used a dark rider, and some green stuff) and switched mounts with the mounted sorseress pack. \

Curently Equiped with: Lance, HA, SDC, and if I have some points I can't figure out what to do with, Reapeater Crossbow.

WHEN I get the mony, I'll use a Highborn on a dragon with: blood armor , Sea Dragon Cloak, Seal of Ghround, Crimson Death, Crossbow.
Last edited by Saint of m on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

I must revise my Highbornes... haven't really thought much on the 7th Edition Murder to my list.

HB on Black Dragon Great Weapon, Sea Dragon Cloak and Armor of living Death. (Will need something sword shaped to replace great weapon.. its the malekith model and I need to keep it wysiwyg.)

HB on Dark Pegasus, Lance, SDC, Shield, armor of Living death.

They wear the same armor becuase if I am fielding 2 Hb in my army it is probably a 4,000 point game and one of them is Malekith.

I might siwtch his sword to the one that ignores armor saves, or go with the draich and some kind of armor on the draogn mounted version.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

remember that a GW on a riding character only gains you +1 strength these days, while still making you strike last. In short, for the same points, you can get the +1 strength but still strike in ini order - by using the much cooler Halberd :)

~ Nag
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I have never thought that killing blow was realy worth 20 extra points, a lord on a dragon will probobly kill any charactor it targets anyway. Thats why I stick to the CD.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slerac fellblade »

Draich of Dark power is unaffected by being on a mount. It is like the empire sword of power except you cannot use a shield with it and confers killing blow.

any magic item that is specifically a great weapon says in it's little paragraph on what it does

Great Weapon: then right after that it says all the extra crap it gives.

However Draich of Dark Power just says
"+2 strength, requires two hands killing blow" without the words great weapon in the rules for the magic item it is just a 2 handed sword of power that confers killing blow.
Ian: We are trying to help as many starving children as possible
Me: Wait a day and there will be less of them