Need help with scheme colours!

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Hexter
Trainee Warrior

Need help with scheme colours!

Post by Hexter »

Today i recieved my DE through the post and have started on a test model:
I need help will colour choices to use for the robes and the armour.My HE are red and white so i would like to avoid using them colours and i don't want to use the Liche purple scheme in the book either.
Painted examples of other schemes would also be helpful.
Cheers
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Teal clothes and Black armor with silver details? Hmm, probably what I'm going to do hehe.
Personally, I'd just test colours and see what I like and then get on with the rest of the army. You can 'waste' a warrior or two to test different colour schemes and strip it later to repaint it.
Cal'mihe
Dark Rider

Post by Cal'mihe »

Hiya Hexter.

Part of me envies you being at the stage in army composition where you are, and part of me don't :) That brain-wracking period where you decide, change your mind, decide again, get in doubt, decide on something else, etc etc. Annoying, and yet fun at the same time ;)

It took me an age to settle on a color scheme, so don't feel discouraged if it seems to take a long time for you.

Here is an early test shot I did when I was playing around with color schemes, showing black armor with metal highlights combined with red robes, and more metallic armor combined with green robes.

Eventually I settled on green robes and black armor with metal edges, seems to work well so far.

Bear in mind also that if you plan to carry your color scheme throughout your army (I do so, I find it gives everything a unified look), then you'll need to consider if your scheme works for models where the ratio of armor, robes, flesh,etc are different from your test model.
For instance Cold One Knights have very little cloth on them, but lots of armor, while Shades have almost no armor, but lots of cloth, and Witch Elves have neither :p

Hope you find a good scheme, happy brainstorming! :D
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Well there are so many options, however Cal'Mihe has a good point if you want everyone to have the same color scheme it is good to think about it as an army not just a warrior.Remeber the druchii.net Album, google and coolminiornot.com are your friends for insperation.
With that out of the way here are some models I liked the scheme of.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/60458
http://www.coolminiornot.com/index/whatm/GW/id/21463
http://www.coolminiornot.com/index/whatm/GW/id/23828
http://www.coolminiornot.com/index/whatm/GW/id/23822

Hope these help.

-crazyhorse
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I like to think of colour schemes that are uncommon or unseen, makes my army stick out, for example:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/ ... G_0033.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/ ... G_0034.jpg

But I was looking at the Dark Eldar codex the other day, and saw some rather unique paint schemes that could work well with Dark Elves as well. You'll have to search for it but I hope this helps

@crazyhorse: I love your corsair and that white warrior. Good Job on them!

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

The pictures are not my work, I just choose the ones I looked at when choosing my colors. Sorry for the confusion :oops: .

-crazyhorse
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

I think that dark green and -red are best colours, thay have good contrast with each other, and the both work well with gold and brown what you have already painted.
Hexter
Trainee Warrior

Post by Hexter »

Thanks for the really helpful replies guys! :D
So far i have tried a blue scheme:
At first i didn't really like it,but after a while it has started to grow on me.
I'm still not sure if i will use it though,i would like to use something similar to Cal'Mihe's green corsair.
Comments on the blue scheme would be great and helpfull.
Last edited by Hexter on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

I personally like the blue color scheme, after all I use it. I think it also makes a nice contrast with your high elves. It may be a bit blue for my taste, but as it is your model it only has to please you.

-crazyhorse
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

i use blue too!

however, i have the sleeves of my crossbowmen black, and as their shields are attached to their arms and not their backs, the mostly black shield (with blue trim) reduces the blue-ness of my guys

my guys: http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... bowmen.jpg

you might want to add another secondary color to the blue somewhere on the models.. maybe white? gray? or even gold / bronze / red (?) just to give them some contrast, and it'll make the individual colors stand out alot more
ImageImage
Hexter
Trainee Warrior

Post by Hexter »

I had another go at a different scheme,this time with green armour like the example in the army book:
I like it more then the blue scheme,and it's still WIP.The gold needs finishind as does the dark blue robes.
Mnesthius-I really like your Elves,especially thier shields,they look great.Thanks for sharing! :D
Last edited by Hexter on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

I prefer the green one, is more original :D
Just go NMM!!! It rocks! So no metal chainmail :) it will take you a lot of time but you'll be happy :D
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net
Uriain
Executioner

Post by Uriain »

I am doing a Green and Gold Scheme, on my DE. Exedcutioners are where you really see the contrast, but all in all its comming along pretty well, just going slowly. I like both the scheme's though, so keep up the good work.
Building Hand Eye Co-ordination. . . . One kill at a time.
Hexter
Trainee Warrior

Post by Hexter »

Uriain-any chance in us seeing your Executioner's?