Orc skin tones

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Aginor26
Executioner

Orc skin tones

Post by Aginor26 »

Hey everyone,
In the next few months i plan on starting up an Orcs & Goblins army, and im starting to think about how i want to paint them. I really want to shy away from the classic "greens" for skin tones and i want to lean towards something a little more unique. I'm considering things like green/brown, blue green, grey green, etc.
Anyway, i was hoping a few people out there might have links to some rather differently painted orcs so i can see how the models actually look with skin tones other than straight green. Hopefully eliminating a lot of time experimenting with color combinations.
Thanks!
"Walk softly, and carry a big gun."
Skaris
Dark Rider

Post by Skaris »

I was going to start a Orc army but lost the urge about 6 models in, I went for a catachan green skin, a little different but still Orcy.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v246/ ... ure083.jpg
Pete-h
Executioner

Post by Pete-h »

It's not particularly unique, but I've started doing my greenskins with a very dark green that gets highlighted up using bleached bone (keeps it nice and pale). This I feel is a lot less cartoony and seems a bit more realistic - as much as a greenskin can be. A quick example:
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

Pete-h, these are cool! I'm looking for the same result for my hobgoblins, could you tell us the recipe? Could you suggest a proper dark green?
Thank you in advance
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=45795&start=0

A link to my Orcs & Goblins blog, now slightly defunct due to not having time at all to paint or even play. I use catachan green as a basecoat, highlighted with camo green, then rotting flesh. It's a fairly light colour for Orcish skin; my Greenskins are murky swamp dwellers from some southern Empire pine forest, so the lack of sun was a given.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Pete-h
Executioner

Post by Pete-h »

@Bassman76 - actually my recipe is quite close to Damnations. Basically starts off with a base coat of Catachan, which is then washed with a Catachan/Black wash. This is then highlighted using progessive layers of Catachan, Catachan + Camo, Catachan + Camo + Bleached Bone with more Bleached Bone added for even more highlights (probably about 6-8 layers overall). Then when needed a really thin glaze of Catachan was used.

Hope that helps.
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

Oh, yes, I like realistic style painting.
I'll try to copy your recipe, thanks :)
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net
Aginor26
Executioner

Post by Aginor26 »

just found this browsing through the website, really like the brownish color for the skin
http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0
"Walk softly, and carry a big gun."