Beating a stegadon...?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

The exile
Warrior

Beating a stegadon...?

Post by The exile »

Well I played Lizardmen last night and all in all it was a good game...The only real problem, and what in the end costed me the game, was his stegadon...As I lacked any real unit to take it down.
I used this list:

1 Noble @ 160 Pts
General; Lance; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak
Draich of Dark Power
cold one

1 Sorceress @ 140 Pts
Magic Level 1
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll

20 Warriors @ 183 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician

5 Cold One Knights @ 215 Pts
Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; full command
War Banner

5 Dark Riders @ 97 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Musician

5 Dark Riders @ 97 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Musician

8 Harpies @ 104 Pts
2ndWeapon

Total: 996 pts

A reaper or two would probably make short work of the stegadon but...I don't like them considering the rest of the list is pretty mobile. Feels like I would spend the rest of the game having to worry about them getting beaten by something else...

So is there any other stegadon killing unit I could take that would fit better with the rest of the lists mobility? <.<
Last edited by The exile on Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me.
So throw me down and tie me up and show me that you like me!
Halbarad
Executioner

Post by Halbarad »

I can't recall the stats of a Stegadon but I would guess something similar to our hydra (without the breath).

With your list I would probably hit it with magic and if you can a charge from the knights should take it out.

Also you are wasting points on your character as the Draich of Dark Power replaces your lance (effectively).
I live on the edge. Between Life and Death, Light and Dark, Insanity and Genius. I protect you all from what you truly are and what I know you to be.
The exile
Warrior

Post by The exile »

Ah, okey o.O Yea maybe the knights would have worked but they died to a combination of a few poisoneus darts and random wounds from the Bolt thrower thingy on the stegadon...also, one got killed in CC by a skink :<

The lance is 6pts...so maybe a little waste, but not a whole lot :roll:

I was horribly outmagiced :P he had 2 lvl 2's ...still i managed to dispell /make most of his spells have very little effect on the battle and in the end both of them ran off the table :).
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Stegadon can be annoying to have to take down as its pretty tough to say the least. At 1000 points, it'd be pretty mean to bring along a stegadon - ouch. With the list you've got, the only real way to do much damage is to win via combat res and run him down. Stubborn is nice, but Ld5 isn't. ;) The best way to go about doing it is to get a flank charge either with the warriors or with the knights (the knights might even be able to hit the front as they have a chance to do some damage), and I'd personally devote all my attacks to the skinks on top as they should be a bit easier to take down despite their insane AS.

Also, just because a list is mobile shouldn't make you think RBTs are a bad thing. In fact, they can be excessively useful for their range as well as the bait they can present. With a mobile force, its all about splitting up the enemy forces. If some go after the bait, they've done just that by sitting still. Put them on a hill for even sight but also for better bait as when the enemy closes, you simply walk off the back of the hill and out of sight for another turn. ;)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

I usually run a list with two hunter nobles (mundane armor + lance, on dark steeds), but some time ago I was playing around and also ran a noble with Blade of ruin. And in one game against lizards, I tried smashing them both into the steggy simultaneously. This worked very well. The one with Lance directs his attacks against the stegadon, and the one with blade of ruin against the skinks. They died very easily.

In addition, you are very likely to be able to stop a stegadon with your warriors. Steggy just doesn't cause that many wounds - he still needs support.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

If you feel like branching out from the armybook a little a DOW giant could be just what your looking for. Charge him into the Steg and he should take it down, if he gets hit with club its almost certain to go down, and even if you just get headbut that buys you anther go to take it down. Even if it gets charged a giant has enough wounds to have a good chance of surviving and stiking back. Its worked for me plenty of times.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Gustav
Dark Rider

Post by Gustav »

a chariot with a noble with crimson blade. D6+1 srt. 5 impact hits wounding steggie on 5s and giving him i belive a 6+ save and noble wounding on 4s i believe with no amrour :) plus turns the steggie to only fear against you not terror. and its manuverable still fittign with your theme. if you could get two cahriots on the charge agaisnt it and one with the noble that be even better :)
The exile
Warrior

Post by The exile »

Thanks for the tips guys ^^ hopefully it will work out better next time I have to go toe-to-toe with it o.O
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Witch Elves do great against Steggies - not only because of their poison but also because they don't lose their killyness after their initial charge. Knights lose their lance bonus, so if the Steg passes the Break test, the Knights have no hope of damaging (and breaking) it. Witches will happily Frenzy on.

There's always Death Magic (-3Ld was it I believe?) :twisted:
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
[llct]kain
Assassin

Post by [llct]kain »

Hi,

I think I can add some ... one of my regular opponents brings two of them in 2K :-)

For me it worked well either to deal early with the stegs by giving it some RBT single shots and concentrating on it - a half killed steg is as good as an untouched.

The other option that works well is delay its march with DR then you have no trouble till round 3 and then charge it with something in the flank do not try to kill it but just to win combat for 2 rounds - normaly the steg will break.
Anything that gives you the outnumber + flank bonus will normaly work - even 10 RxB would do.

Directing attacks at the crew did never payed of for me - they rae easy to wound but have also a 2+ AS, so you can also try to go with the 6+ to wound (and AS) and bring down the steg.

Regarding your list - the only otions are the CoK and the warriors - so go for the second option. Draw the steggadon with the DR into a position where it could be flanked. I would never go for a front charge with the CoK - even not with your hero attached.

As another option you could change the DoDP for a lance and upgrade your sorceress to LV2 and try to help a bit with dark magic. Dominion is very nice, doombolt will also hurt.
Terrifying
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Terrifying »

Great tips i play alot against lizardmen aswell (my cousin playes with them) and i havn't figuerd out any good way to bring his stegadon down. (until now :P)
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

10 crossbows or 5 dark riders won't give you outnumber most of the time :P
As Stegadon is US 12 (6 for steggy and 6 for 6 riders)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Cougar_roger
Cold One Knight

Post by Cougar_roger »

replace your DR's with chariots and your harpies with a RBT. Drop the draich and the cold one and put your noble in the chariot. That might give you enough points to upgrade your sorc to a lvl 2.
bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve...
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

I sniped a Stegadon really quick, turn3, I had some bad rolls. I used two Bolt throwers. But I also managed to get the 170+ point dude on his back.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

10 crossbows or 5 dark riders won't give you outnumber most of the time
As Stegadon is US 12 (6 for steggy and 6 for 6 riders)

Thats wrong as the Steg has a unit strength of 8 no matter who's riding it or how many is left. As other people have said a good way to take it down is by knights or chariots preferably in the flank or as Raneth said Doom and Darkness :twisted:
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Yuna
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yuna »

As I play against a "lizardman" friend I always use 2 RBT on his steg'
it is so efficient he plays now the salamander... :) ....uh.... :cry: (1500pts)

If you prefer infantry unit I suggest you use 10 witchelves, including a hag with Manbane!
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

@the exile
Just thought I'd point out that the lance is a total waste, you "cannot" use it, because you must use your magic weapon. So unless you buy the lance in order to glue it to your model as a "looks nice" item, you should drop it. Only Brets can use a lance and a magic weapon, because they have a special rule forcing them to use a lance on the charge.

As for the stegadon, at 1000pts, it's a bit tricky if you're not preparted to see large monsters. Anyway, it's not too hard to deal with, if you look at it from the perspective of making it useless in the game for the opponent, instead of trying to kill it. Sacrificing a unit of Dark riders should give you a few turns of freedom from the stegadon, for example. Lots of things you can do to get the stegadon to waste turns by having to turn around and point it's face into the general direction of the chargeable stuff. This is what I see as the grand positive in FB vs 40k, more movement based tactics.

Cheers
---Tragic legend, Eerie stratum---