DE Hero on foot Converted + Painted

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Saedron
Shade

DE Hero on foot Converted + Painted

Post by Saedron »

Just finished a hero (I guess they're called "masters" now, aren't they...?) on foot with shield and sword. I'm thinking going for enchanted shield, heavy armor, and an inexpensive magic sword (probably sword of might) as far as equipment goes. He's just gonna join one of my spearmen units to tackle those pesky VC Ethereal Hosts!!!! Thus the magic weapon... ;)

He's my first DE character I have painted for my army, and I thought you guys might like to see a very simple conversion with a mediocre paint job... just in case you get bored looking at all the other amazing painter's work around here!

Pics:

Front-

Left Side-

Right Side-

Rear-

And for those of you who have seen my spearmen, this is the split-field shield I was talking about. What do you think?

[EDIT - These pics make it look MUCH MUCH messier than it is IRL, in my opinion... stupid camera!]
Goldfish
Trainee Warrior

Post by Goldfish »

I find the model very much alright. The sword arm is from dark riders herald if I'm not wrong. The arm got a nice position but there are far cooler swords that could quite easily be attached. But as long as you like it.

As for the painting I find it as a job well done. Very uniqe colour sheme, maybe a little to flashy, but could be the camera.

Nicely done :)
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Hehe this one is quite unique. I like him. Though I think you should've painted the purple on the right side of the shield, as the most of the green is on his right side, so you get that contrast.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Saedron
Shade

Post by Saedron »

Thanks for the kind remarks guys!

izirath wrote:Though I think you should've painted the purple on the right side of the shield, as the most of the green is on his right side, so you get that contrast.

Ohhhhh... if only I had thought of that sooner!! I was looking at the model after I had finished, and I did notice how there was a TON of purple concentrated on one side of the model... too late now, he's varnished :cry:
Good idea though. I will be sure to think about that for the next shield!
Izirath

Post by Izirath »

Oh and you should've fixed the gem on the sword as the sword looks kind of borin with all those metallics. Almost like a replica..
~ Nag
Saedron
Shade

Post by Saedron »

good catch as well, I'll try painting over the varnish, because I didn't even see that gem as a different part of the sword... duh!
Izirath

Post by Izirath »

Maybe gold on the skull or that jagged thingy right over the gem.
~ Nag
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

Most things having been said, I'll just add a modeling critique. The sword arm is in cloth, but the shield arm is chainmail, which is a bit confusing, so you could consider dressing it in chainmail using gs if you're up to it (i probably won't be)

other than that, its a cool conversion. Good idea!
ImageImage
Kreoss
Noble

Post by Kreoss »

I really like the pose. You can see the action and feel the flow. The colour scheme is nice and the painting technique is superb. Not professional, of course, but he looks better than most of the painted models fielded by people in my store!

Something about the sword bothers me, its too dull I think for how brazen the rest of the model is. Though this has been mentioned already.

Regardless, excellent job!