How fun/viable will the all-monster army be?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Yourmumrang
Noble

How fun/viable will the all-monster army be?

Post by Yourmumrang »

I refer to the Dreadlord/Sorceress on Dragon, BSB on Manticore and 2 Hydra lists. I think they could be fun to play, but how would enemies feel?

Did anyone play this in the old edition that can shed some light?
Duke of swords
Black Guard

Post by Duke of swords »

I tried dragon+manti+two hydra in the old rules but it was too lopsided. I ran roughshod over some armies (especially classic "balanced infantry" lists) but died horribly vs dwarves, extreme magic, or skink hordes.

This lead me to try double manti with a high sorc lvl 3 for D which didn't work very well because protecting two expensive fragile flyers was too difficult unless I had really good terrain.

The new book opens up much better options though. There are better protective items for sorceresses, there is the sorceress dragon option, all of which needs exploration.

As for opponent's sentiments, I've always gotten positive feedback. People like killing monsters and they always get to kill several plus the hydras used to be marginal meaning it's hard to complain about the list.

Now the landscape is very different. The hydra is now a figurative beast as well as a literal one and having two might fetch a reaction similar to two treemen (OK, maybe not that bad) or two coaches in the old days. In fact I think most of the hardest DE lists might well include two hydras and so the army may seem more excuse than art.

One thing you won't have to worry so much about any more is complaints about terror. Between demons and VC everyone should be tooled to cope with psychology.

I'm hoping for an update of Rakarth.

DoS
Matras
Noble

Post by Matras »

I think it is viable now. Before now, monsters were just too expensive. But now, it should work.
If Highelves are a pain in the butt, you are facing the wrong way!
Soulreaper
Noble

Post by Soulreaper »

viable? sure!
Fun? Oh hell no! :lol:

going up against 4 terror causing monsters.. 2 of which are flying, 3 of which have good breath weapons. and all of which kick ass in Close combat.
How are you gonna have fun going up against that? Magic still won't work well cause you can put MR on the ridden monsters and the ring of hotek on a champion to protect everyone else... Shooting might be a bit troublesome, but with that many dangerous targets you'd have to either split fire and do barely anything or take down one at a time and let the other 3 rampage your lines as they please...

yeah.. no fun. :P
"To some players, luck itself is an art."

Eze'chira's Dark Horde (DE 2000)
W: 5 D: 0 L: 0

list thread:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=42720
pic thread:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=41890
Mmckeddie
Assassin

Post by Mmckeddie »

I played this type of list in last edition and won most of my games with it, only lost against dwarves and had a draw against wood elves. (only used 1 hydra but sometimes threw a giant in as well) I even beat a storm of chaos deamon list with plenty of magic.

I don't think it is too over the top. I have plaved one game with this type of list using the new book and won a minor victoy over a fairly balanced albeit magic heavy skaven list. (still only one hydra)
Death becomes you
D'jihurccen
Executioner

Post by D'jihurccen »

There are plenty of players who are programed to look at a list with more then one big scary looking model and cry 'cheese'... Personally i think its more that people dont always understand dealing with large creatures, they are more comfortable whittling down large units of weaker individuals then tackling monsters who keep dealing out death until they croak.

Sure you have an advantage in some areas, and more so now with Null shards to make it a decent anti-magic list, it could well become one of the infamous overpowered lists like gunlines and SAD and treemen... but after years of scraping up minor victories and feeling proud about it, its about darn time!
Dark moon Host (druchii) w/d/l 9/2/4
Benji
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Benji »

I love playing with mine. My opponents say it is a hard list but not as bad as it could be with lots of magic and shooting.

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=55226&highlight=
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Sometimes it just won't work. Powerful, yes, but a cagey player can keep things like dragons off their flanks and eventually break such armies down with combat res (VC in particular).

D'jihurccen wrote:but after years of scraping up minor victories and feeling proud about it, its about darn time!

...to get moaned about like everyone else? :lol:

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Im planning on turning my DE army into a Kharond Kar list. I love the new Hydra, so Ill be getting two of them. Does anyone know if Beastmasters are still HQ and can take a Manticore? If so how many HQ choices does it take up?
Greynightmare
Warrior

Post by Greynightmare »

Hmm, I like the look of such a list, would be great to paint and be breathtaking on the battlefield when painted!!

And of course it would kick butt, only thing I might do is add some harpies in, though I have never used before so can anyone tell me if this is worth doing, or are they fairly pointless? :?
Currently... On Campaign please leave your message after the tone and my cold one will get back to you... RAWR!!!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Harpies are going to be great.
Core, cheap, extremely agile as flying units, they are able to spread a cover for protecting other units. Now, they do not panic anybody except other harpies. As skirmisher, they can charge 360°, making a threat not to be discarded.
Excellent to take as units of 5.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

Demetrius the Betrayer wrote:Im planning on turning my DE army into a Kharond Kar list. I love the new Hydra, so Ill be getting two of them. Does anyone know if Beastmasters are still HQ and can take a Manticore? If so how many HQ choices does it take up?

There are no Beastmaster characters anymore.

However, the new Noble (Called a Master) can ride a Manticore now, and can be equipped with a Beastmaster's Scourge. There's also a magical scourge that give the user's attacks a strength of 5. So you could technically build a beastamaster themed hero if you want.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

And Beastmaster Apprentices who used to goad the hydra got promoted to full Beastmasters now with 2 attacks each ;)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Lac.desariel
Executioner

Post by Lac.desariel »

I used to run a dragon manti 2 Hydra, 2 COC and COK list with 3 x d.Riders,

its what took me to the druchi lands first off, well that and the cauldron of blood

its was always fun I decimated Khorne lists as i could pull them all over, gun lines wernt to bad as i could get the flanks easy dwarfs were hard as you still cant hit em in the front. the worst i played was lizard with the slan and beast cowers.

Im thinking of doing the same list again maybe even with 2 manti's and a master in thier on peggy for war machine hunting, Why waste a dragon on 2 high elfs ?
Greynightmare
Warrior

Post by Greynightmare »

Calisson wrote:Harpies are going to be great.
Core, cheap, extremely agile as flying units, they are able to spread a cover for protecting other units. Now, they do not panic anybody except other harpies. As skirmisher, they can charge 360°, making a threat not to be discarded.
Excellent to take as units of 5.

Thx :D

That really helped, If will definatly have to get some harpies at some point!!
Even I don't do a beast army!!!
Currently... On Campaign please leave your message after the tone and my cold one will get back to you... RAWR!!!
Godless-mimicry
Noble

Post by Godless-mimicry »

I love the idea and I'm thinking I might try one in a few
friendly games
-Godless-

Tally:

New Chaos Warriors W12 D0 L3

Dark Elves W8 D0 L0
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

i'll be running a beast list, but personally the fun comes from having different beasts, so it'll be hydra and giant or ogres instead of 2 hydras. for me, the beasts are what the druchii are all about. i think lots of people will enjoy playing a different army. you may get some cheese comments, but you get that allot of the time unless you field a losing list. have a play and see what its like. just don't play with it all the time, cause then people will get feed up. unless you see a daemon list. then make sure you play with the cheesiest list possible. there fault for going daemon!
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

im thinking of running 2 hydras with either a manticore or a dragon, but i feel having 4 beasts is too much for 2000 points. A manti, 2 hydras and 2 pegasi should go down nicely though :evil:
Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

Damn, and here I was thinking that dragon, 2 mantis and 2 hydras would be good and proper, but I suppose I need some staying power.
Godless-mimicry
Noble

But doesn't a Manticore take up an additional Hero
slot, meaning you'd have to be playing at least 4k
to pull that off
-Godless-

Tally:

Dark Elves W8 D0 L0
Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

I've been reading through the new book, and I have not yet found anything stating that any of the monsters take up additional character slots, under the monster entry nor under the entries in the army lists. Monsters do not take up additional slots in other 7th edition army books. Why should they take up additional slots in ours?
Godless-mimicry
Noble

I haven't gotten my book yet, I just have the army builder
that was posted here this week. In that they are an extra
Hero slot, though I honestly found it weird.
-Godless-

Tally:

Dark Elves W8 D0 L0
Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

That's why I don't trust army builder and stick with Excel Spreadsheets and the army books.
Godless-mimicry
Noble

Well you are meant to have your army book if you are
playing tournies so you mostly know when AB has a bug
-Godless-

Tally:

Dark Elves W8 D0 L0
Count zero
Cold One Knight

Post by Count zero »

Mostlyharmless wrote:I've been reading through the new book, and I have not yet found anything stating that any of the monsters take up additional character slots, under the monster entry nor under the entries in the army lists. Monsters do not take up additional slots in other 7th edition army books. Why should they take up additional slots in ours?

yes they do take up extra slots, in the book bottom of page 91 under character mounts. it even specifies that malekith on dragon takes up additional slots.
its a definate chnage from the empire book at least where kf+dragon only uses one.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.