Dark Rider Heralds in 7th

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mr_styrofoam
Dark Rider

Dark Rider Heralds in 7th

Post by Mr_styrofoam »

Now that overall DRs are cheaper, and the herald has been boosted to 2 attacks and BS 5, how many of you guys will be including both a herald and musician in your units? I think the total points cost comes to 131, or something else only about 4 or 5 points above what they used to cost (assuming you take RXBs). I think these guys are definitely viable now.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

no herald but I'm considering including crossbows now (yes, I was running 5 dark riders without them and they did fine ;) ) since they are cheaper *and* better.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Masterofdarkness
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Masterofdarkness »

already converted, now i just need to get to the 5 units in storage........
Always look for the knife from the shadows.

Wait a minute, how do you hide a +2 flaming longsword in the shadows?
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

I ran them with and without crossbows in 6th and will do the same this time around. For the price of a herald can't you almost get another DR? I you are using them to babysit a sorceress then maybe the herald is worth the investment.

In any case, heralds are definitely better now. It used to hack me off to no end when my naked DRs "upgrade" to the herald option only included BS5.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Masterofdarkness
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Masterofdarkness »

BS5 and 2 attacks is solid for 14 points
Always look for the knife from the shadows.

Wait a minute, how do you hide a +2 flaming longsword in the shadows?
Decker_cky
Black Guard

Post by Decker_cky »

masterofdarkness wrote:BS5 and 2 attacks is solid for 14 points

Agreed. If you've taken crossbows already, he really provides a boost to the unit. If you haven't, I wouldn't bother (unless there's a character in the unit).
Steve tu
Beastmaster

Post by Steve tu »

Yes, I will be taking them with a Herald. And no xbows either! Plan to combo charge them in with my dragon rider or manti rider and the herald is there to take a challenge so my big flyer can munch on the unit.
Saedron
Shade

Post by Saedron »

BS5 is nice, but if you're looking at it as almost being able to get another DR for the same points, you would be better off taking that additional DR IMO. The attack you would be forgoing by not including that additional dark rider would be made up by the herald, however (assuming RxB's) the 2 shots at BS5 would math-hammer-matically yield 1.6 hits on average, in comparison to 2 DR's shooting with a BS of 4, yielding 2.6 hits. The only time his additional BS would be helpful is if you moved and were shooting at a skirmishing unit at long range, but then at that point, you would be better off marching rather than going 9" and trying to kill anything with 2 RxB shots at 6+'s to hit...

Also, let's not forget that, when it comes to fast cav, 5 strong vs. 6 strong makes a HUGE difference. 6 means you can take 1 additional casualty by shooting and still not have to take a panic test. Very nice.

I won't be taking a herald.
Decker_cky
Black Guard

Post by Decker_cky »

The upgrade costs a little less than 2/3 of what a dark rider costs, shoots better, has more attacks and can issue and accept challenges. And has more attacks on a frontage.

And 6 panics just as easily as 5. It's 5 that doesn't panic as easily as 4.

As for shooting efficiency....how often is a dark rider unit not moving? Assuming you've moved and are using multishot....
Herald does 1 hit, 2 dark riders do 1.333 hits. Almost spot on for the points you pay.

Saedron....your math on the shooting is way off since at best, multishooting RxB hit on 4's with typical dark riders (3 for the herald). If you move, they hit on 5's (4's for herald). If you moved and were shooting at long range at skirmishers, the herald would hit on 6's, and the 2 DR would hit on 7's.
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

In 6th ed I ran one unit with RxB (babysitting a Sorc) and one without. I'll do the roughly the same this time around and it's just nice to have it cheaper and better (with regards to the Herald).
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...