Crossbowmen, first out of 20?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Mar-win
Highborn

Crossbowmen, first out of 20?

Post by Mar-win »

Hi guys,

Been a very long time since I posted anything, partly because I havent actually painted anything for like 12 months (been waiting for the new delves to come). Anyway, I finished a model with a colour scheme and some convertions I am pleased with and will base my army on. I've sculpted a skirt looking cloth around his chainmail and repositioned his arms by sculpting the upper arms. I will give all my warriors (rxb and spearmen alike) these skirts and I'll try to make almost every model uniquely posed :)

On to the pictures!'

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/m ... G_0043.jpg
http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/m ... G_0044.jpg
http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/mar-win/?action=view&current=IMG_0042.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/mar-win/IMG_0045.jpg?t=1217791356

Before you ask, the white stuff on his clothes is supposed to be snow and ice.. it does look a lot better irl (as does the entire model i must confess as I'm not a particularly good photographer)

cheers!

mar-win
Last edited by Mar-win on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RasputinII wrote:FANTASTIC!

I LOVE IT SOO MUCH I AM USING CAPS - AND I HATE CAPS!
Iraduur nightfrost
Noble

Post by Iraduur nightfrost »

The iced snow effect is greatly done! How do you do it? I also like the neat and tidy paint job you did on the mini. It took me some time to realise you changed the chainmail to a skirt of cloth. Suits the mini well.
Behold the might of the witchking!
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Nice modelling skills, how did you do it?
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Malcom
Warrior

Post by Malcom »

needless to say it looks great!
Do onto others, Before they can Do onto You....
Hainzy
Dark Rider

Post by Hainzy »

Hey mate!
Looks great!
Ice/snow look better on Dark Elf figs than any other IMO!
The colour scheme is great and the runes on the sheild and the back of the fig look fantastic!
When ther're all done it's going to be one great looking unit!!
Well done again mate!!!

Cheers!
H! :twisted:
You can take your vamp lord on zombie dragon, 48 graveguard, blackcoach, 3 wraiths, 2 units of dogs and your 3 units of 10 piddly zombies and shove them up your f&$%ing a$$.....

Worst game of warhammer I've ever played.....

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Looks good. I am not sure the snow actually on the model adds much to the overall effect but the paint job is top shelf.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Good job, I always admire all efforts to make Warriors look unique, diversing from standard clone regiments.

He looks really effective, his pose is really cool, although some may doubt if that amount of GS job is hmmm, time-cost-effective enough. But I've already planned my regiments of Warriors to be converted with GS and I'm not frightened with amount of work needed to make my vision a reality, so I am not to speak ;)

Colour scheme is good, but knowing it is rank&file rxbman, I liked Your previous works better to be honest.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Mar-win
Highborn

Post by Mar-win »

thanks for all the kind comments guys :)

@Iraduur: The snow effect is really easy to do, I just coat the parts where I want it to be with a mix of white glue and water (quite diluted) and then sparkle some snow effect on it, I use Woodland Scenics, but I'm sure any would work :)

@izirath: The sculpting work is actually not really difficult. The upper arms is just two sausages of GS over a metal wire which I've pinched a bit with a sculpting tool. The skirt is a bit more work, but just slap on a bit of GS, flatten it to be the rough shape of a skirt and then use your sculpting tool to make the folds. Be very gentle with the tool and use a lot of water in order to keep the surface smooth.

@Iyagd: Thanks mate, my older models are definately better painting wise (and possibly colour scheme-wise as well, but I wanted a bit darker feel to them than I had) but as I said, this is my first model in about a year, so I hope I'll improve ;)

I'll try to make a unit of these before uni kicks off in late august and post them here!

Cheers

mar-win

Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

mar-win wrote:@Iyagd: Thanks mate, my older models are definately better painting wise (and possibly colour scheme-wise as well, but I wanted a bit darker feel to them than I had) but as I said, this is my first model in about a year, so I hope I'll improve ;)

I'm sure You'll improve :D

I know what You mean, when I started painting after 3 years break, first mini took me ages to finish, I was correcting all mistakes longer than painting mini itself :)
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Saedron
Shade

Post by Saedron »

VERY nice conversion! It's a beaut! One minor bone to pick though:
Personally, the snow/ice (even sand?) on the shield and the cloth don't seem realistic, because when would snow ever get stuck in chunks on cloth etc... and believe me I live where there's snow on the ground 6 months out of the year.

Still, I love the pose- very dynamic and should look awesome in a unit!
Endra divini
Shade

Post by Endra divini »

Excellent work :D
I love the way you have done the snow, I looks very realistic.
Endra the corrupted

WS 6
S 3
T 3
D 4
I 4

Image: Tall and Lean.
His black armour leaks with a searing dark due.
And over his back is a cloak of which speaks to him of his past for he himself had long since forgotten it.
Mar-win
Highborn

Post by Mar-win »

thanks once again guys, nice to hear you like them, it inspires me to keep 'em coming ;)

@Iyagd: I know what you're saying there, I'm entering the painting competition with an old model as I don't feel my painting standard is up there yet... but it will! :D

Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

How did you position the arm with the bow?

Pretty awesome pose
Gibious
Highborn

Post by Gibious »

I despise you for having such a steady hand...

The ice is also a chilling northern touch
...Well thats the end of my post
Tigtoad
Hydra Lord

Post by Tigtoad »

Snow wouldn't stick, but ice would... and that effect looks like ice.

If you get metal wet below a certain temperature, about half of the water will instantly turn to ice. It takes a bit longer for cloth, but you can definitely get the feel for it being amazingly cold where that warrior is... you know, like in the druchii lands :)

Saedron wrote:VERY nice conversion! It's a beaut! One minor bone to pick though:
Personally, the snow/ice (even sand?) on the shield and the cloth don't seem realistic, because when would snow ever get stuck in chunks on cloth etc... and believe me I live where there's snow on the ground 6 months out of the year.

Still, I love the pose- very dynamic and should look awesome in a unit!
Saedron
Shade

Post by Saedron »

@ TigToad - yes but that's not the effect I'm getting from the model. Enough said though, it's just my personal opinion.

I'm not trying to discredit your model in any way- I love all the effort you have obviously put into it. In a group of 20, it would look beautifully!