Ehakir's Superfly You Can't Hide list

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Ehakir's Superfly You Can't Hide list

Post by Ehakir »

Hi All,
Having received the new book enabled me to make a nice list. The idea behind the list is to decide what you give to the enemy and what you won't give. You decide what the enemy can take. The ingredients for this are some magic defense, a few units, and some units to screen your army behind. It may sound rediculous, but I decided to use hydrae for this. They are tough, are large targets, and will be able to screen my army.
The list:

SS, +1 Lvl, Focus Familiar, Hydra Teeth, PoK
Pegasus

410 pts.

Sorc, +1 Lvl, Darkstar Cloak, DS
Pegasus

230 pts.

Sorc, +1 Lvl, Deathmask
Pegasus

230 pts.

Sorc, +1 Lvl, Lifetaker, Tome of Furion
Pegasus

225 pts.

5 Dark Riders, RXB, Mus

117 pts.

5 Dark Riders, RXB, Mus

117 pts.

5 Dark Riders, RXB, Mus

112 pts.

6 Harpies

66 pts.

5 Harpies

55 pts.

5 Shades, Add Hw

85 pts.

War Hydra

175 pts.

War Hydra

175 pts.

Total: 1997 pts.
PD: 13
DD: 7+Scroll
Shots/turn: 40+3

Deployment: If there is a lack of terrain I will field the hydrae next to each other to create some terrain by myself :lol: . Otherwise I will deploy the army behind the terrain. I want the enemy to spread himself across the board, so when facing an army without/with minimal shooting/magic I will first deploy the hydrae (center of my army) each at one side of the table. I will be fast enough to pull them together, and I might even use one to screw up one flank on his own.

1st Turn: VS heavy shooting/magic I will go a bit forward, place the SS behind a piece of terrain and use the familiar. Rest of the Sorceresses don't have to get LoS, as they can't be shot if the enemy can't see them.
Rest of the army advances under cover.
VS minimal shooting/magic I will start the hunt; army goes forward in full speed, stays without charge range however. Shoot and magic them down!

2nd Turn vs heavy shooting/magic: Everything will pop up from behind the shadows, giving the enemy too much to kill. He will probably shoot at the SS, but she has the PoK/with soulstealer 6 wounds 8)

What do you think?
Last edited by Ehakir on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
One-s
Beastmaster

Post by One-s »

I like the idea behind your list.
Playing no touch is my prefered playing style.
Now we have the tools to do that effectively.

Using hydra's as a screen for non large targets is a waist of points IMO.
If you had a dragon or manticore, you could hide it behind the hydra.
Anything else can just as easy hide behind harpies. A lot cheaper and they're expendable + they don't cause panic.

Shades are OK for march blocking, but why would you want to slow the opponent?
With this list you're all over the place. I'd take more harpies instead. Let the opponent try to slow you down.

Something else I'd consider is putting the mages on steeds instead of pegs.
The smaller steed bases make them easier to hide.
And you won't turn into a sitting duck, this might happen if the opponent shoots your pegasus from under your feet.
I understand that the ability to fly makes them more mobile.
But a steed is cheaper, you could use the points for even more harpies.
Tigtoad
Hydra Lord

Post by Tigtoad »

Dark Rider units need to be 117 each
Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

First of all I do like the list but I think it can be improved by dropping the pegs on the two lvl 2 sorceress's. With the points saved I would add two units of harpies and mount both the sorceress's on Dark steeds and put them with the DR units. Keep the last one with the death mask though, I think a terror bomb could be pretty useful. And go with death magic there and hope for Doom and Darkness combined with terror!

And I like the hydras in there they give some much needed punch and draw some fire away from your fragile units. Anyway good luck!
Lord temnir
Executioner

Post by Lord temnir »

I like the idea of your list but I just don't get the reason for the two hydrae. You have a complete "catch me if you can"-list but a hydra wants to get into CC. On one hand I get the point that having too many fast units would cause trouble when they stand in each others way and get all the shoots (since they are as mentioined very fragile) but are you sure that your opponent will shoot at a T5 thing when there is a lot of expensive/fragile stuff flying around?

Anyway, good luck with it!
Victory is messured by the blood spilled.
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Thank you for your comments. After having played some battles with it, I agree that some of the sorceresses would better get some steeds :P. So I will mount the Lifetaker/Furion maid and the DC girl on a horse.
I chose for Shades because they could hide in buildings that therefore would not easily be captured by other infantery or because they would be able to march block. Furthermore I already have a lot of harpies/dark riders IMO
@ Lord Temnir; I need the hydrae, as magic sometimes lets you down. A combined charge can take out most things (especially when first softened by magic/shooting), and as said, the first turns they will be the only thing the enemy can shoot at, (I've experienced this in playtesting as well, it works :twisted: ) as my army will be hiding behind them.

I will be on vacation for two weeks now, so I probably won't make any replies for that time. Don't worry however, you can still post comments :D
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Vorthain
Noble

Post by Vorthain »

I think your Dark Rider units should be 117 points each.
a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn
Dirty trickster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dirty trickster »

As a strange thought, consider this:

Sorceress Lvl 4 on a Peg, Foc.Fam. : 335 pts
Sorceress Lvl 2 on a Peg, Lifetaker : 210 pts
Sorceress Lvl 2 on a Peg, Darkstar Cloak : 210 pts
Sorceress Lvl 2 on a Peg, Tome of Furion, Power Stone : 220 pts
3x5 DR, RCB, Mus. : 3x117 pts
61 Harpies ! : 671 pts (split in groups as you see fit :))

Hunt down missile and harass, harass, harass :)
Azrael_blackheart
Trainee Warrior

Post by Azrael_blackheart »

GW are much more effective than add HW on shades from what i can tell...
a really nice list i'd like to see in battle!
Never forget a reaper bolt thrower if you leave for battle!
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

I'm back! After my holiday refreshed with new energy :lol: .

Thank you all for the comments.
@ Dirty Trickster: Your comments fit your name, mate! There's just one drawback: buying loads of harpies ;) . As I don't own 61 harpies, I don't think I'll use the list a lot (maybe in a friendly game, but it is very cheesy for that).
@ Azrael_Blackheart: I know, but I was missing the points for GW's, and vs low armoured foes add hw is better (warmachine crews)
-Ehakir