Red and snow. How to do it?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Irtehdar
Assassin

Red and snow. How to do it?

Post by Irtehdar »

Seing as the new edition and the new models have sparked my idea of redoing most of my army I have decided I will once and for all overcome 2 modeling/painting tasks I have never been able to do very well. However for this I will need some help.
The obstackles in question is snowy bases and red paint(red paint just doesnt like me)

Red Cloth. For some reason I just can get red to cover properly. I have a similar problem with yellow. Anyway I want to go with a solid amount of red for cloth parts of my army but how do I go about doing this without stacking up to a milimeter of paint on it before it covers what is underneath?
In my past I have just simply avoided red paints as much as I could but now I want a red army.

Snowy bases. Ive decided I want snow bases but havent figured out an easy way to do it. How would you guys do this? I dont want my models to just stand on a big white square. I want them to look like theyre treading through knee high snow. (not actually knee high but you get my point)
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Godless-mimicry
Noble

Post by Godless-mimicry »

Never done snow before but for red, I have done a whole Chaos
army with red for cloth.

Mechrite Red
Brown Ink (liberal, for shade only)
Mechrite Red
Mechrite Red + Blood Red
Blood Red
Blazing Orange (lining)
-Godless-

Tally:

New Chaos Warriors W12 D0 L3

Dark Elves W8 D0 L0
Macknight
Beastmaster

Post by Macknight »

for bright color like red and yellow you need to paint white underneath, for dark red you need to build up the red, 1st with scrab red, then red gore, then blood red. the put a wash over, red ink, yellow ink or fesh ink etc.

for snow, glue the base with water down white glue and then flock with modeling sand( different grains make look natural
, once dry, paint it with waterdown codex grey, when dry drybrushing with white, then flock w scenic snow.

looks like this

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/N ... fBlood.jpg
"It's hell of a thing to kill a man, you take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna."

Lord of Gluttony, former active member of the 7.
Gensuke626
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Gensuke626 »

I'm experimenting with GW Modeling Snow for my bases...So far I think you'd need to do 2 or 3 layers of the stuff...
Godless-mimicry
Noble

Post by Godless-mimicry »

Actually with Foundation basecoats, the undercoat usually
yields little effect.
-Godless-

Tally:

New Chaos Warriors W12 D0 L3

Dark Elves W8 D0 L0
Lord_jimmy_
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord_jimmy_ »

The best way Ive found with GW snow is to put some in a bowl, add water, add pva glue and add white paint. It should look like u have just drowned the snow flock but if u scrape up wat is under the water line you get lovely clumps of snow that dry to look great.

edit* - Obviously stir the mixture
People say I'm cocky, I say it's because they know I'm the best.

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:Ok, I agree with Lord_Jimmy here.
The golden arrow
Cold One Knight

Post by The golden arrow »

This article might be helpful.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/323
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

The Golden Arrow wrote:This article might be helpful.

That's the way to go. I am doing all my bases like that and its fantastic. Far better than the GW snow if you ask me (which is too rough - the scale isn't right if you know what I mean...). Depending on how thick the whole mixture is, you might need to use multiple layers to avoid the snow sliding off the base and smudging all over the place...

As to red clothes - I gave up on proper (dark) red clothes with paint. It just doesn't look realistic to me no matter what I try. This ain't an attempt to discourage you though :D... I'd gladly see some advice, but no matter what I've tried, the cloth is either too bright or too brownish... If you manage to get a good result, by all means - post a picture so that I shall overcome my disbelief in proper dark red cloth ;)

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Deadlydeceiver
Trainee Warrior

Post by Deadlydeceiver »

The Golden Arrow wrote:This article might be helpful.

Wow, that looks great!

In fact I too have just begun to redo my DE-Army with snowbases.
I used following method:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/terrain-snowbases/5/

Looks quite good, too.

deadly
I knew you would read this... It's all part of my great plan!
Saedron
Shade

Post by Saedron »

the easy way to do deep-ish snow has already been mentioned; paste covered in snow flock.

Reds: (if you're interested in a very bright red, it pops quite a bit)
Base Dark Flesh
Highlight Red Gore
Highlight Teracotta
Highlight Blood Red
Edging 50-50 Blood Red/Blazing Orange
Light Wash Red Gore (To bring the layers together)

Hope you figure out your problems!
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

i'm not sure that this is the kind of red you want, but here's what I achieved by simple drybrushing of the clothes of my shades:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169 ... 240028.jpg

the layers are red gore, blood red and blazing orange - heavier layers for the brighter shirts and lighter layers for the darker cloaks.
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

Thanks for the snowy advise.
The red Im looking for is something like this:
I know the techniques to painting but the red paints just wont seem to cover properly if I dont aply a very thick layer.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

from my experience, red gore covers scorched brown much better than chaos black. you might try that.