collecting information on units for draich

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

collecting information on units for draich

Post by Kinslayer »

Anyone who has something to say which is important, usefull or otherwise worth saying about any of the units listed here, please post it and i will try to keep up with adding it to the list in the first post. Once completed, these information will be fed to Khel & Heartrender on the 'the units' page of the D.R.A.I.C.H.

Please only reply with useful information, either that you gathered from a viable source or you are in fact a viable source yourself. In other words, dont post if you dont know what your on about! this collection needs to be of the highest possible standard with as much useful infromation as possible and nothing else. Cheers.

Pros and Cons style replies are advised.

THE UNITS, whats hot and whats not.

Core

Spearelves
Pros
the first and most basic core option in the druchii army, the cruel spearelf is a mighty warrior trained all his life for war, he or she marches to war, spear in hand, to face any foe. Thing to remember about the spearelf is that in most situations you are already at an advantage with M5. A lot of long time elf players overlook this, as they are used to it, but it gives you the edge in a lot of charges. Again, one of the things your enemy will overlook is your T3. What they dont tend to realise is that WS5 elves are just as hard to hit as other T4 enemies. It is because of that fact that making use of the hand weapon and shield bonus is not usually necessary. This lets you use your spear, meaning you can fight in 2 ranks. Therefor, to maximize models able to hit i recommend you deploy between 5 and 7 models wide. And just think what a great place this is to hide an assassin.

Cons
At 6-7 points per model, they are not going to be doing any wounds and can quite commonly lose combat to less skilled (and cheaper!) core infantry. Spear Elves really come into their own by using them as support for some of our harder hitting units because otherwise, they are just weak infantry and likely to lose combat to a light breeze.

Repeater Crossbowmen
Pros
the second core choice is the repeater crossbow, a warrior who excels at range so has lain down his spear and taken up the deadly repeater crossbow. I think the best unit size for these is around 10, so you can get a cheap and effective unit. Place them on a hill and you have 2 ranks of 5 warriors getting off 20! shots per turn, and they are now armour peircing! What more could you ask for from a 100pt unit of archers. I would recommend fielding 1 or 2 units at this size in 2000 points, having them target anyone who would dare to attempt to outmaneuver you.

Cons

Corsairs
Pros
warriors who have taken to the sea, learning to man the slave ships and pillage and raid the distant shores of the weakling old world, the black arc corsairs are a force to be reckoned with. With two hand weapons they will be fighting with 2 attacks each, and they have the option for an 8" multishoot weapon too! I would recommend taking handbow units in 10's and 2 hand weapon units in 10-20 man units. Remember, the high M and WS of warriors carries across here, and although they lose the shield and spear of their warrior kin they make up for it with number of attacks, and access to a special character.
able to have frenzy banner, they would be immune to panic from shooting and magic, but suffer from the negatives of frenzy(must charge)
At small size with pistols they are ideal flank protectors. They can go alongside a combat unit in the style of an EMpire detachment, unload a bunch of shots, then absorb the charge and fire another volley before being defeated and leading the enemy unit where you want them to go. This can be annoying to enemies because they can't ignore the unit and its difficult to shoot them due to the cloaks.

Cons
To expensive to do their job. Unless running a pure MSU army, Warriors are much better to be used for their SCR. The ACR that Corsairs can usually gain is just not enough. Not to mention that warriors gain more attacks from the CoB, die less in combat and are 3 points cheaper!
Larger units don't stack up as they are too expensive to be a great fighting unit, and way too expensive to arm them all with pistols.

Dark Riders
Pros
the light cavalry of the druchii, dark riders are swift and deadly riders who ride dark steeds into battle. They are the perfect baiting, flanking and generally annoying unit for your opponent. You can send them down the flank to get around the back of the enemy to go warmachine hunting, or send them into small enemy units such as scouts. I would never run more than 5 in a single unit, and only ever take a muscian and crossbows in options. This makes a cheap unit, and if you have 2 you can send one down each flank. If you leave them bare you can simply race them forward and have them march-block the enemy

Cons
The DR is best used offensively, but easily becomes a prime missile target, when unprotected. The unit is almost exclusively used in groups of 5, and therefore panics easily. And at a relatively high points cost, enemy missile units can earn their points quickly, if let to shoot at DRs. Screening with harpies against missile is a great tactic, but does nothing against enemy missile or warmachines fortunate enough to be on high ground.

Harpy
Pros
Harpies are now a core choice but they do not count to your minimum core, which is always something to bear in mind. If you have filled up your minimum core choices, now is the time to consider a unit or two of these flying mistresses as they make a perfect baiting and screening unit. With a 20" flight move they are the perfect warmachine hunter, and at 11pts a peice they are not going to cause too much pain if they get shot down. Remember skirmishers have a 360" charge arc too! I recommend taking 2 units of 5 in 2000 points, and using them to shield your expensive and precious speial/rare units.

Cons
Cons- T3 with no armour, they will sadly die very easily or at the least panic on Ld 6 and run off. However this is generally the point of the Harpies and so is ok.
-Not really relevant gamewise but impossible to rank up due to wingspan!

Special

Cold One Knights
Pros: 2+ Armour Save, Strength 6 on the charge great in units from 5-10. Great Shock Cavalry, cause fear.

Cons - Faster Cavalry Run circles (keep flanks protected) about them and stupidity which is pain in the rear...

Executioners
Pros: finally hitting at str 6 with their great weapons and with killing blow they can kill things pretty well. They can make good units as flankers or as a brick

Cons: they only have a 5+ armor save and strike last if charged. Also, people tend to know the kind of damage they cause so if they can they'll get rid of em before they can make up their points. Also, the fact that they can only take 25 pts in magical banners can hurt sometimes. They could really benefit from the ASF banner.

Witch Elves
Pro's
-Lots of Poison attacks, now with Hatred as well meaning they can easily rack up kills against low armoured opponents. e.g Zombies, Goblins, Men at Arms, Skinks, Empire Halberdiers etc
- Hag can take Manbane to help tackle those tougher opponents such as Trolls, Minotaurs, ogres
-Frenzy makes the unit effectively immune to casualties from shooting or Magic which is very good as Witches easily suffer a lot of casualties and frenzy means that even if just the Hag survives she will always keep marching forwards looking for more enemies
-Quick, With M5 and I6 Witches are one of the quickest infantry units both in moving and fighting. This helps them to pick and choose their fights and subsequently always attack first which is vital for unarmoured T3 models
Actually with banner of murder, and a cauldron nearby to give them +1A and stubborn, they should be ok vs. phoenix guard.

Cons
-Unarmoured and T3 Witches will die like flies if just about anything attacks them, at 10 points a model this is not a good thing. It is vital to make sure they are always hidden from enemy missile fire to reduce casualties. A flock of Harpies can be a good screen however Harpies are still expensive and you don't want to lose them either
-Frenzy, This makes witches somewhat uncontrollable however I have found it is better for them to be in combat in just about any situation. If worried about flanking give them Witchbrew and they willl effectively ignore all circumstances
-Hatred, Similar to Frenzy this is also a double edge sword but once again overrunning gives you a good chance of finding new enemies and this is vital to shielding your witches from shooting.
-S3, Witches will have great trouble killing anything with armour so these units should best be avoided- Chaos warriors, Dwarf Warriors, Grave Guard, Knights, Phoenix Guard etc

Summary
When witches work well they can be a real pain ripping the enemy to shreds uncaring of their own casualties, however often they get bogged down and broken by enemies with higher toughness or armour save. They can also be easily wiped out by shooting and magic.
watch out for spells that affect all models in the unit such as Flames of the Phoenix or Soul Stealer as the entire unit can easily vanish in one go.

Good Against- Vampire Counts, Skaven, Orcs + Goblins, Empire, Tomb Kings
Bad Against- Bretonnians, Chaos Mortals, Dwarves, High Elves

Black Guard

Pros: make an excellent body guard unit for any hero. Do good in medium to brick sized units thanks to their stubborn rule, ellite warriors, and two attacks a piece. One of the best combos for them is the ASF banner and the Crimson Death for the champion. I found that they make great units for Sorceresses. Also, with a magic heavy army or an army with plenty of magical defense the only thing they have issues surviving is a lot of focused shooting fire.
if the unit have ASF banner, then the soulrender may be a better option as its cheaper, null talisman might be good if the character joining it has 1 too, the +1 AS(armour of darkness) may be good too even though the champ only has 1 wound

Cons: only a 5+ armor save...can't think of much to go here to be honest.
This unit is great. No one is arguing that but to be used to its full effect you must be aware that A) Black Guard cannot flee as a charge reaction (not that it comes into play very often but nevertheless it is a con) and B) With 2 A's each, are going to be forced pursuing A LOT.

Cold One Chariot
Pros
LD9, come standard w RXB at slight cheaper price, S4 charioteers w spear making them S5 on charge.

con- no longer 2 for 1 special slot, our special slots are valuable consider COC are more effective in pairs or more. Though you could solve such problem having a drealord or master on a chariot.

Shades
Pros
BS5 and always being able to shoot with all your guys.
able to have assassin, the xhw i think is the most improved asset for them. 10 hatred attacks rather than 5 from previous.

con-expensive as hell, in 6th they were 70pts for a naked 5 man team, now they are 90pts for a 5 man GW team. bloodshade is still expensive though less useless now as he has 2 attacks.

Rare

War Hydra
Pros: They eat things...hardcore. With 7 str 5 attacks they pack a lot of punch plus with their breath weapon they don't have to charge to do damage. Plus they have terror which is nice. Regeneration and a 4+ scaly skin save makes them pretty survivable. Plus, it may just be me but i think its pretty cool that the beastmasters have AP

Cons: they make a pretty big target. People will want to shoot it and kill at as fast as possible. I know some will claim that that means they aren't shooting at other things but still; if this thing dies you're losing a pretty useful tool
HUGE TARGET. Going to be the target of every war machine and massed shooting that has any chance to kill it. That is why I believe it is utterly important to pair it up with either a black dragon OR another hydra. That way the enemy cannot saturate all his fire on a single target. Also, beware of the Lore of Metal OR Lore of Fire. Metal will really hurt as you lose your Regen save which is truly the bread and butter of the Hydra.

Reaper Bolt Throwers
Pro's
-Whats not to like about 6 S4 AP bolts flying towards your enemy with a range of 48"? Bolt Throwers are perfect for so many situations from thinning enemy ranks, wiping out fast cavalry, gunning down luightly armoured elites, wiping out enemy archers from long range, killing lone mages, skewering Dragons. there are few things a bolt thrower can't handle!
-Versatility of shooting styles allowing you to choose between one big shot or lots of small ones. This means that just about everything is a viable target for your bolt throwers.
-Small and Compact with 360" Los and 48" range makes targetting a lot easier. Bolt Throwers can even be set up between your combat units to rain death upon your enemies while within the safety of your battle lines

Cons
-Very Low Defence, If charged they will die so often other units should hang around as bodyguards, the best of course are RXB elves who have a lot better chance in combat than the fragile bolt throwers
they have hatred, they are forced to pursue if they aren't dead already.

Other

Assassins
Pros: great unit for multi-purposes like hidding in a unit of warriors to give them a bit of a punch. With ASF they're sure to get some kills in before the enemy has a chance to strike back. With the right build the assassin can get a lot of attacks at a pretty good strength. Also can be tailored for specific purposes like popping chariots or killing characters.
great assassin combos- xhw, black lotus, rune of khaine, KB; hiding in a frenzy corsair unit, he would get 6-8 ASF attacks with rerolls and KB, mathematically he will get a KB on his target, plus the unit is frenzy so you can't lose him from panic tests(shooting and magic).

Cons: squishy if hit. With no armor save and T3 they can die if they don't kill what they're attacking
Last edited by Kinslayer on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:34 am, edited 10 times in total.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Witch Elves
Pro's
-Lots of Poison attacks, now with Hatred as well meaning they can easily rack up kills against low armoured opponents. e.g Zombies, Goblins, Men at Arms, Skinks, Empire Halberdiers etc
- Hag can take Manbane to help tackle those tougher opponents such as Trolls, Minotaurs, ogres
-Frenzy makes the unit effectively immune to casualties from shooting or Magic which is very good as Witches easily suffer a lot of casualties and frenzy means that even if just the Hag survives she will always keep marching forwards looking for more enemies
-Quick, With M5 and I6 Witches are one of the quickest infantry units both in moving and fighting. This helps them to pick and choose their fights and subsequently always attack first which is vital for unarmoured T3 models

Cons
-Unarmoured and T3 Witches will die like flies if just about anything attacks them, at 10 points a model this is not a good thing. It is vital to make sure they are always hidden from enemy missile fire to reduce casualties. A flock of Harpies can be a good screen however Harpies are still expensive and you don't want to lose them either
-Frenzy, This makes witches somewhat uncontrollable however I have found it is better for them to be in combat in just about any situation. If worried about flanking give them Witchbrew and they willl effectively ignore all circumstances
-Hatred, Similar to Frenzy this is also a double edge sword but once again overrunning gives you a good chance of finding new enemies and this is vital to shielding your witches from shooting.
-S3, Witches will have great trouble killing anything with armour so these units should best be avoided- Chaos warriors, Dwarf Warriors, Grave Guard, Knights, Phoenix Guard etc

Summary
When witches work well they can be a real pain ripping the enemy to shreds uncaring of their own casualties, however often they get bogged down and broken by enemies with higher toughness or armour save. They can also be easily wiped out by shooting and magic.
watch out for spells that affect all models in the unit such as Flames of the Phoenix or Soul Stealer as the entire unit can easily vanish in one go.

Good Against- Vampire Counts, Skaven, Orcs + Goblins, Empire, Tomb Kings
Bad Against- Bretonnians, Chaos Mortals, Dwarves, High Elves
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

thankyou, updated.
Moridin_nae'blis
Beastmaster

Post by Moridin_nae'blis »

Black Guard

Pros: make an excellent body guard unit for any hero. Do good in medium to brick sized units thanks to their stubborn rule, ellite warriors, and two attacks a piece. One of the best combos for them is the ASF banner and the Crimson Death for the champion. I found that they make great units for Sorceresses. Also, with a magic heavy army or an army with plenty of magical defense the only thing they have issues surviving is a lot of focused shooting fire.

Assassins

Pros: great unit for multi-purposes like hidding in a unit of warriors to give them a bit of a punch. With ASF they're sure to get some kills in before the enemy has a chance to strike back. With the right build the assassin can get a lot of attacks at a pretty good strength. Also can be tailored for specific purposes like popping chariots or killing characters.

Cons: squishy if hit. With no armor save and T3 they can die if they don't kill what they're attacking

Executioners

Pros: finally hitting at str 6 with their great weapons and with killing blow they can kill things pretty well. They can make good units as flankers or as a brick

Cons: they only have a 5+ armor save and strike last if charged. Also, people tend to know the kind of damage they cause so if they can they'll get rid of em before they can make up their points. Also, the fact that they can only take 25 pts in magical banners can hurt sometimes. They could really benefit from the ASF banner.

War Hyrda

Pros: They eat things...hardcore. With 7 str 5 attacks they pack a lot of punch plus with their breath weapon they don't have to charge to do damage. Plus they have terror which is nice. Regeneration and a 4+ scaly skin save makes them pretty survivable. Plus, it may just be me but i think its pretty cool that the beastmasters have AP

Cons: they make a pretty big target. People will want to shoot it and kill at as fast as possible. I know some will claim that that means they aren't shooting at other things but still; if this thing dies you're losing a pretty useful tool

umm that's all for now but im sure i'll be back with more to add later :D
+++ Team Mulligans +++

I'm baaaaack!
Macknight
Beastmaster

Post by Macknight »

Moridin_Nae'blis wrote:Black Guard

if the unit have ASF banner, then the soulrender may be a better option as its cheaper, null talisman might be good if the character joining it has 1 too, the +1 AS(armour of darkness) may be good too even though the champ only has 1 wound

great assassin combos- xhw, black lotus, rune of khaine, KB; hiding in a frenzy corsair unit, he would get 6-8 ASF attacks with rerolls and KB, mathematically he will get a KB on his target, plus the unit is frenzy so you can't lose him from panic tests(shooting and magic).
Last edited by Macknight on Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's hell of a thing to kill a man, you take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna."

Lord of Gluttony, former active member of the 7.
Moridin_nae'blis
Beastmaster

Post by Moridin_nae'blis »

woah...great point! I totally didn't think of that :D
+++ Team Mulligans +++

I'm baaaaack!
Elfik
Assassin
Location: Victoria, BC, on the Western shores of the New World

Post by Elfik »

Actually with banner of murder, and a cauldron nearby to give them +1A and stubborn, they should be ok vs. phoenix guard.
People say "insert problem" but it's better to say "insert improvement"
Azure
Rumour Lord of Doom

Post by Azure »

I'll merely help you out with cons as that seems to be what you are missing.

Spear Elves Cons: At 6-7 points per model, they are not going to be doing any wounds and can quite commonly lose combat to less skilled (and cheaper!) core infantry. Spear Elves really come into their own by using them as support for some of our harder hitting units because otherwise, they are just weak infantry and likely to lose combat to a light breeze.

Black Guard Cons: This unit is great. No one is arguing that but to be used to its full effect you must be aware that A) Black Guard cannot flee as a charge reaction (not that it comes into play very often but nevertheless it is a con) and B) With 2 A's each, are going to be forced pursuing A LOT.

War Hydra Cons: HUGE TARGET. Going to be the target of every war machine and massed shooting that has any chance to kill it. That is why I believe it is utterly important to pair it up with either a black dragon OR another hydra. That way the enemy cannot saturate all his fire on a single target. Also, beware of the Lore of Metal OR Lore of Fire. Metal will really hurt as you lose your Regen save which is truly the bread and butter of the Hydra.

-Rex
Moderator - Druchii Tactics
Belial. wrote:OT [forum] is quite quiet most of the time, except when Azure makes a new topic.

Free Porn!
Become my padawan! This game is fun! http://azuredruchii.mybrute.com
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Thanks, updated again. Keep it coming please, the sooner this fills up the sooner we can work on our D.R.A.I.C.H page.
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

Shades; Pro = BS5 and always being able to shoot with all your guys. (I am running 2 x 10 at the moment)
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Just updated the D.R.A.I.C.H. - The Units page everyone. Far from finished but towards the bottom you can look upon our new "What's hot! And what's not!" category. Keep your contributions coming. Excellent work everyone. :D
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Greynightmare
Warrior

Post by Greynightmare »

Cok - Pros: 2+ Armour Save, Strength 6 on the charge great in units from 5-10. Great Shock Cavalry, cause fear.

Cons - Faster Cavalry Run circles (keep flanks protected) about them and stupidity which is pain in the rear...
Currently... On Campaign please leave your message after the tone and my cold one will get back to you... RAWR!!!
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

updated again, thanks guys. Can anyone do the ones which are empty before we bulk out the others?
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Reaper Bolt Throwers
Pro's
-Whats not to like about 6 S4 AP bolts flying towards your enemy with a range of 48"? Bolt Throwers are perfect for so many situations from thinning enemy ranks, wiping out fast cavalry, gunning down luightly armoured elites, wiping out enemy archers from long range, killing lone mages, skewering Dragons. there are few things a bolt thrower can't handle!
-Versatility of shooting styles allowing you to choose between one big shot or lots of small ones. This means that just about everything is a viable target for your bolt throwers.
-Small and Compact with 360" Los and 48" range makes targetting a lot easier. Bolt Throwers can even be set up between your combat units to rain death upon your enemies while within the safety of your battle lines

Cons
-Very Low Defence, If charged they will die so often other units should hang around as bodyguards, the best of course are RXB elves who have a lot better chance in combat than the fragile bolt throwers
ImageImageImage
Milney
Beastmaster

Post by Milney »

Azure wrote:Metal will really hurt as you lose your Regen save which is truly the bread and butter of the Hydra.

-Rex

Whilst you won't get your Regen save against flaming attacks remember that we are in 7th Edition now, not 6th Edition. Flaming attacks no longer prevent models from regenerating all attacks - only the flaming attacks.

I had someone try and pull this one on me recently. Suffice to say I almost hit him with the BRB when I found out after the game.
"Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!"

W : D : L (7th Edition)
6 : 1 : 4
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

thanks Milney, thats not really about the unit but about the regeneration rule, still its a good comment anyway. thanks for your post Bounce, added it in.
Milney
Beastmaster

Post by Milney »

Heartrender wrote:thanks Milney, thats not really about the unit but about the regeneration rule, still its a good comment anyway.

Sorry, my intention wasn't to have the comment added to any guide, but to simply put straight anyone still lingering under the assumption the Flaming attacks removed a models Regeneration save (as they did in 6th Edition) as it really hampers the Hydra's effectiveness.
"Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!"

W : D : L (7th Edition)
6 : 1 : 4
Azure
Rumour Lord of Doom

Post by Azure »

Milney: I wasnt haha but 2d6 magic missile will absolutely destroy... anything haha.

-Rex

p.s. Cons to corsairs: To expensive to do their job. Unless running a pure MSU army, Warriors are much better to be used for their SCR. The ACR that Corsairs can usually gain is just not enough. Not to mention that warriors gain more attacks from the CoB, die less in combat and are 3 points cheaper!
Moderator - Druchii Tactics
Belial. wrote:OT [forum] is quite quiet most of the time, except when Azure makes a new topic.

Free Porn!
Become my padawan! This game is fun! http://azuredruchii.mybrute.com
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

thanks Azure for that smalll point. I am adding everything into the chart above even just little strands of information that could be useful. This will all be written up in the units thread and once complete and we get the time, me and Khel will look through and organise it. Thanks.
Macknight
Beastmaster

Post by Macknight »

RBT con- they have hatred, they are forced to pursue if they aren't dead already.

COC- pro- LD9, come standard w RXB at slight cheaper price, S4 charioteers w spear making them S5 on charge.

con- no longer 2 for 1 special slot, our special slots are valuable consider COC are more effective in pairs or more. Though you could solve such problem having a drealord or master on a chariot.

Shades- con-expensive as hell, in 6th they were 70pts for a naked 5 man team, now they are 90pts for a 5 man GW team. bloodshade is still expensive though less useless now as he has 2 attacks.

pro- able to have assassin, the xhw i think is the most improved asset for them. 10 hatred attacks rather than 5 from previous.

corsairs pro- able to have frenzy banner, they would be immune to panic from shooting and magic, but suffer from the negatives of frenzy(must charge).
"It's hell of a thing to kill a man, you take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna."

Lord of Gluttony, former active member of the 7.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Thanks once again Macknight :)
Archdukechocula
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Archdukechocula »

Azure wrote:War Hydra Cons: HUGE TARGET. Going to be the target of every war machine and massed shooting that has any chance to kill it. That is why I believe it is utterly important to pair it up with either a black dragon OR another hydra. That way the enemy cannot saturate all his fire on a single target. Also, beware of the Lore of Metal OR Lore of Fire. Metal will really hurt as you lose your Regen save which is truly the bread and butter of the Hydra.

-Rex

My High Elf opponent did that last game. He wasted 80% of his shooting during the game trying to hurt a toughness 5, scaly skinned regenerating target that lost none of its fighting ability from getting wounded and which couldn't panic from shooting, while my extremely fragile witch elves, black guard and warriors made it to the front lines unscathed. His shooting managed to kill a unit of harpies, some dark riders and do 2 wounds to one of the hydras. The hydras did their job throughout the game, including killing two bolt throwers, without his shooting having accomplished anything against them.

Given how soft our army is, if an opponent has to choose between hitting the hydra, which is toughness 5, scaly skinned, regenerating and that doesn't panic from shooting, and hitting other units in my army which tend to be toughness 3 with a crap armour save, unless I am facing a template war machine or something similar that can hit the beastmasters, I will almost always be hoping he shoots at my hydra. He will usually do more damage with a discernible effect against nearly any other unit in the dark elf army. As long as you guard yourself against warmachine flank shots and template hits that can catch the beastmasters, you should be able to weather disproportionate amounts of shooting.

Frankly, if he does focus all his fire from a gunline on a single unit in my battle line, then I've spent 175 points to insure the rest of my army gets there with surprisingly minimal loses. Generally speaking, I would rather lose a hydra to a unit of shooting than two to three rank and file units. Also, it should be noted that since hydras can move as skirmishers, they have a unique ability to protect themselves from missile fire that most of our rank and file do not.

If you have to worry about anything with Hydras, I think it's robust magic phases. Template spells, spells that target attributes, and other such trickery are really the biggest threat to the unit in my opinion. If the enemy is magic heavy, it might be worth having your Ring of Hotek mule near by.
"I'd never join any club that would have the likes of me as a member."
Dirty trickster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dirty trickster »

DR Con : The DR is best used offensively, but easily becomes a prime missile target, when unprotected. The unit is almost exclusively used in groups of 5, and therefore panics easily. And at a relatively high points cost, enemy missile units can earn their points quickly, if let to shoot at DRs. Screening with harpies against missile is a great tactic, but does nothing against enemy missile or warmachines fortunate enough to be on high ground.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Harpies
Cons- T3 with no armour, they will sadly die very easily or at the least panic on Ld 6 and run off. However this is generally the point of the Harpies and so is ok.
-Not really relevant gamewise but impossible to rank up due to wingspan!
ImageImageImage
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Thanks again, we are almost there! just a little more gamers and tacticians :d