Manticore BSB surprise?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Manticore BSB surprise?

Post by Dggrj »

I'm toying with two lists, trying to decide what to play against a Bret friend when I take a visit home next week. In one of them I want to try this, but I'm curious first if anyone has tried it (and to what success) or just the reactions it gets.

Master on Manticore, BSB, full mundane kit (which thankfully means lance now, yippee!) with the Standard of Slaughter.

If I can get a flank charge with this beast I'll get 3-5 SCR, take away his ranks (though he'll outnumber), and with 7 hatred-inspired attacks at S5 and S6, some with killing blow (or 9 attacks if I fail my frenzy test with good timing), I imagine I'll get some good ACR, too.

Yes, obviously he'll know it's my BSB when I tell him (since I'll be proxying this), and he'll be wary since it's on a beast, but I doubt anyone would quite expect an aggressive flying BSB, much less one with with this kind of CR.

What do y'all think? (I'll post the two lists I'm considering later, but they both have 2 lvl 2 sorcs, one dark and one metal).
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Izirath

Post by Izirath »

It sure sounds neat. It will be a slaughter at least, I'd like to try this out.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Arhain cynath
Shade

Post by Arhain cynath »

Your topic comes just after the topic about the Hunter Noble. I think your BSB could be a good alternative :)

This character could manage somes threats without any doubts and destroy Heavy Cavalry!

I don't have my book now but how much is the US of the Manticore? W+1?
My body is dedicated to our King, but my weapon and hatred are dedicated to Khaine!!
- Arhain Cynath, the Red Dragon of Har Ganeth
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Yes, W+1 = 5. Bonusthief.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Elfik
Assassin
Location: Victoria, BC, on the Western shores of the New World

Post by Elfik »

It looks a nice alternative to a dragon lord(though of course more vulnerable). The characters, monsters, and assassins we have are so good now(but still pricey). Other good options for your BSB include
-RoH, armour of darkness(benji uses this)
-Lifetaker/dragon egg, enchanted shield
-ring of darkness
People say "insert problem" but it's better to say "insert improvement"
Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

Yes, but that negates the point of the extra CR that I'm hoping will let me break ranked units with a flank charge :)
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Saedron
Shade

Post by Saedron »

Seems like it would work to me, although by putting your BSB on a (flying) monster and roaming him all around the battlefield, you lose the generic bonuses of having a BSB in the center of your battle line, but as long as you recognize that, then sure, give it a shot.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

This is a very good combo. He is fragile but fast, causes terror, and the Std of Slaughter is perfect on the BSB as you will be looking at a minimum of +2 CR (1 for BSB and at least 1 for the Std) combined with a few kills and you will be able to sort out most Bretonnian knight units. I have not had a chance to field this combo yet. I usually put the Std of Slaughter on CoKs but I really like it.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Elfik
Assassin
Location: Victoria, BC, on the Western shores of the New World

Post by Elfik »

Yes, but that negates the point of the extra CR that I'm hoping will let me break ranked units with a flank charge

Yeah it should be good maybe even frontally, who knows. It's not like the guy needs magic items, so the slaughter standard is great for him. I'd probably take the warbanner though, and not worry about rolling a 1 like all my impact hits rolls. No, just kidding, std of slaughter is d3 so it's good.
People say "insert problem" but it's better to say "insert improvement"
Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

@Saedron: I hope to field him this weekend and I'll report back on how it goes. I figure with the 12" that the BSB provides I may still get some benefit, but really I'm going to try not to lose combat ;)

@Mordru: If I can get a flank charge off, it's minimum 3CR and sort of 2-3 more since he breaks them, keep in mind. I figured that I may need the war banner on a unit which can't afford this, and the 10 extra points for on average one more CR is worth it. I haven't decided what I'll put on COK if I field them. Either the war banner or the AP banner, I think, to nerf the effects of the Bret's 5+/5+ saves against a new COK charge.

@Elfik: I wouldn't charge a unit frontally with this unless it was a unit of melee skirmishers and had no choice. I feel like this guy will be a serious threat on a flank in deployment all by himself, and if I put a hydra down on the table, too, well... much fun shall ensue!

My biggest fear with this guy are pegasus knights, as always, and the 20 skirmishing archers he fields, believe it or not. Fortunately I think the new harpies will sort those guys out decently with multiple units. After that my fear is just the fact that one Bretonnian lance, for not too many points can have 6 SCR with ranks, outnumber, hero with virtue of war-banner-ness, and the real war banner. At least I won't have a wussie little BM on manticore fluffing his attacks this time :D!