Tactic Adivce PLease for a New Player

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Khaines_executioner
Trainee Warrior

Tactic Adivce PLease for a New Player

Post by Khaines_executioner »

Hello i have never played Fantasy before
but i have deicded to play as the Dark Elves (thats why i'm here:D)

but i have planned out what i am going to buy for the 1000/2000/3000/4000 points
but as i am getting the 1000 first i would like advice on how to use this list

15 Corsairs
Full Command
Sea Serpent Standard
Handbows

10 Crossbowmen
Full Command
Shields

Sorceress
Level 2
2 Power Stones
Tome of Furion

15 Executioners
Full Command

Assassin
Rune of Khaine
Dance of Doom
Black Lotus
Additional Hand Weapon

1 Bolt Thrower

once i have that i shall start another topic for the next 1000 (but that will not be for a long long long while)

ok so thank you
for some reason i did my 4000 points first and i have a general tactic for that 4000 point list but not for this

so thanks in advance
Shiakhan
Warrior

Post by Shiakhan »

Its a ground based army with no speed in it. Drop the handbows that are crap because if you can shoot you have to charge with the unit because of frenzy so are really worthless. So just use extra hand weapon. As for using the army I would try a weighted flank. With the sorceress, xbows, and bolt thrower centrally located to inflict the most harm to enemy. With no bait units be hard to protect the frenzy models.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Re: Tactic Adivce PLease for a New Player

Post by Kinslayer »

Khaines_Executioner wrote:i have planned out what i am going to buy for the 1000/2000/3000/4000 points
but as i am getting the 1000 first i would like advice on how to use this list

just make a 1000 points list first, built it up, play some games and experiment with what you like, change things around etc until you have exactly what you were looking for. No point planning up to 4k yet if youve never played fantasy, always start small.

15 Corsairs
Full Command
Sea Serpent Standard
Handbows

you may think giving them frenzy with an extra attack replaces the extra hand weapon, and they have shooting too! seems great doesnt it? but its not, because frenzy means you have to charge if within range, meaning they will never get to use their hand bows except as a stand and shoot reaction, where 2 hand weapons and frenzy will make them much more efficiant killers.

10 Crossbowmen
Full Command
Shields

thats a nice unit, shields on the crossbows is always a good option as it greatly increases their suvivability for just ten points.

Sorceress
Level 2
2 Power Stones
Tome of Furion

giving her the tome for a third spell is fine, and cheap, but power stones are not really necessary considering she knows PoD and will have all the power dice you generate to herself. Your magic defence is slightly lax however, so i would give her a dispel scroll and the tome.

15 Executioners
Full Command

no matter what other people say, i think this is a great unit. They are slightly expensive for what they do, or slightly bad for their points (depends which way you look at it) but they are still efficiant killers compared to most enemy units. Witch Elves are, however, better IMO and i would suggest 15 witch elves instead. However i can see you like executioners so do not let me persuade you, and also having 2 frenzied blocks can spell disaster if the enemy leads you into charges you dont want.

Assassin
Rune of Khaine
Dance of Doom
Black Lotus
Additional Hand Weapon

swap out dance of doom for touch of death

1 Bolt Thrower

fine, always a nice addition

I say you need some speed in the army at least, and i might recommend dropping the bolt thrower and power stones. Take a dispel scroll and this leaves you with enough points for 5 dark riders with crossbows i think. The other changes i have suggested making wont change your total too much so there should be a way of making the list fit in 1000 points.
Thedarkone93
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Thedarkone93 »

i would personally drop the full command from the crossbows
and dance of doom and in its place put in 5 more corsairs.

drop the handbows as they are useless in a frenzied unit and give them extra hand weapon

i would also make ur sorcress lvl 1 and give here 2 dispel scrolls.

hope this helps
If There Is A Shadow You Can Bet Ill Be There
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

i only just noticed the full command on the crossbowmen, definately a waste of points. Use them elsewhere. Banner is only used in combat, which is where your crossbowmen shouldnt be. Musician is also used in combat and also when rallying, and you shouldnt have them flee if you play it right. Champion only has 1 BS better, definately not worth it when you can get more models into the list instead. Musician possibly for rallying, but drop the champion and the banner.
Khaines_executioner
Trainee Warrior

well do be honest i wasn't thinking about tips of changing my army.

I just wanted tactics on what to do

no offence meant to you guys
but i don't really want to chnage it much
i will change the handbows as it is a fair comment bout the frenzy

losing the 2 powerstones would leave some points open (including getting a dispel scroll)

or i could instead lose the 2 powerstones and tome of furion and give him 2 dispel scrolls

i would give me a defenive sorceress rather than an offensive

which do you think
thats really the only change i am going to change

tactics please
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

we only offer you advise because we have the experience fielding a druchii army, so we are only trying to help. You dont have to change the list if you dont want to. I mean the executioners, assassin, bolt thrower, crossbowmen and corsairs are all pretty good they just need some minor changes to the setup you have given them.

Drop the crossbow command, drop the handbows on the corsairs, drop the powerstones and with the money buy a dispel scroll for at least some magic defence. I wouldnt drop the tome as i prefer to stay magic offence at all times. In my opinion if your on the defence in the magic phase, your one step behind the enemy.

If you want tactics on how to place the list im willing to offer them too, but those changes above should really help your list without changing the thing youve got running there. Theres not a lot you can do with 2 infantry blocks, 2 ranged units and a sorceress. She will have to go into one of the units for protection meaning you will only have 4 units on the board. Imagine playing against a 1000pt goblin army with 15 units in the same size game.

Not to mention your executioners can get shot to bits before they reach combat, so they could tactically speaking use a screen. Harpies make the perfect screen, 5 harpies @ 55 points will keep your executioners alive until they get into combat and they dont panic them if they flee.

Hope this post was of more use to you than my last then if this is the sort of advice you are seeking.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

New to Druchii?
The D.R.A.I.C.H. is for you!
See the first item sticked in the tactics forum.

Not yet completed, but already some interesting content.
As a newcomer, your advice will be precious for us to improve it.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Saedron
Shade

Post by Saedron »

Hope this post was of more use to you than my last then if this is the sort of advice you are seeking.

Now now, lets be nice to the new guy... :P (joke)

But Khaines_Executioner, you have to understand that what heartrender just mentioned. There aren't any tactics you can effectively apply with 4 units. What the previous posts were suggesting is that you may want to reconsider your army comp so that you have more tactical options, if tactics are what you are after.
Maeth
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Maeth »

Also Khaines_Executioners, though being rubbish at the games, there's only so many tactics one can suggest as an overall.
To mention a tactic against every enemy in every possible situation would be nigh on in impossbile.
One thing I will suggest is that, from learning on here, Heroes are powerful but are expensive and cant stand up to many units. Also that magic is an important phase.
What I would suggest mate is figure out a general attribute for all the armies and work around that. (e.g. Vampire Counts - most units are not as good as us in combat, but many can be summoned up in mid-battle. Take out Vampires first to make the army crumble. Orks - Large numbers, dont go toe to toe in most respects.)
Hope this helps.
Pain is temprorary, Pride is forever
Khaines_executioner
Trainee Warrior

ok then
i will change the handbows with the corsairs

but with the sorceress dispel scrolls are 25 points
while power stones are 20
so basicly i have to lose the tome to get 2 dispel scrolls
which is bad

i could lose the command with the crossobw men and that leaves me 20 points

so what should i do thanks a lot
Thedarkone93
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Thedarkone93 »

in 1000pts a magic heavy army like vampires are a nightmare to contend with they just keep spawning. u cant get enought dispell dice its just not possible. IMO i would keep the 2 dispell scrolls. power stones are a waste of points.

i play a defencive magic army all my mages are scroll caddies but its up to u all im saying is that in a 1000pt army i think that it is better to be defencive than offensive
Saedron
Shade

Post by Saedron »

TheDarkOne93 wrote:i play a defencive magic army all my mages are scroll caddies but its up to u all im saying is that in a 1000pt army i think that it is better to be defencive than offensive

I also field a similar list as far as magic goes, but "the best defense is a strong offense"... makes sense to me. I think that at 1,000 points, having 1 lvl 2 sorc, regardless of equipment, will give you a strong upper hand in the magic phase for the majority of opponents.

Sure, there are some exceptions... *&%#$ VC's... :evil:
Entreri
Executioner

Post by Entreri »

1 small thing you can't use 2 powerstones and a the talisman on your sorc, your 5 points over the max!

I would advise on the star cloak and a dispel scroll, enough PD and atleast a little extra defense, or 1 powerstone to go offensive of course.
The rest looks pretty ok, a bit slow, but you'll have fun ;)
Though be aware with this list that excecutioners will be the main target for shooting, and you'll be bound to loose them all, so be careful vs shooty army's.

If there is anything you would like to change, get some harpies, 1 unit will only set you back for 55p, and will work as screeners so you'll have a lot more complete units left in CC.

Anyway, good luck and like I said have fun, cheers.
With each kill I grow wiser, and with added wisdom I grow stronger.
Khaines_executioner
Trainee Warrior

actually i am not over the points limit for having 2 power stones and the tome of furion

becuase power stones are 20 points for dark elves
wierd i know but still

that is why i decided to have an offenisve sorceress
becuase the best form of defense is offence

ok keep the tips coming
Entreri
Executioner

Post by Entreri »

Yes 20 pop a piece + Tome of Furion = how much? making 55 points.

cheers
With each kill I grow wiser, and with added wisdom I grow stronger.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Khaines_Executioner: 20+20+15 = 55, your limit is 50. I recommend one dispel scroll and the tome of furion, which is 50 points exactly ;)
Thedarkone93
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Thedarkone93 »

power stone are pointless for dark elves ever heard of power of darkness its soo much better plus its not one use only
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Dispel Scroll and Tome is 40. All you guys have rubbish maths, and the grammar in this thread is not all it could be either. I would also ask that the original poster be more specific about what is wanted. Are you going to tourneys? Playing in a league? Messing around with mates? What armies do you expect to face? If all you give us to work with is your list, then all we can say is, "Your list is [adjective] and here's how you should fix it." And without knowledge of what you want this list to do, the advice you recieve is likely to be misleading. Except the talk of handbows and Frenzy. It's either handbows or Frenzy, not both, no doubt about it. To choose neither is also a fair option...

This is the golden rule for Tactics discussions, and it applies to dnet generally. Ask better questions, get better answers.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

ok yeah i made a mistake with that one, i have rubbish maths, or grammer, so what...

Layne-mod-it: Two points here. That was my little joke, about the maths. Apologies if I upset anyone. Using better grammar is a part of asking a better question. I would prefer that this sort of objection be raised privately too, as it has no bearing on the thread. Now we all await the arrival of Khaine's_Executioner, who is going to tell us in much greater detail, what is the nature of his tactical dilemma. So that, Heartrender, is what.

Questions or objections via PM, if you please.

Arnold Layne - Druchii Tactics Moderator.