Finished Unit of Not-So-Dark Riders

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Saedron
Shade

Finished Unit of Not-So-Dark Riders

Post by Saedron »

Hey All-

Just finished my unit of 5 DR's for my army. Pretty simple, and just as a note I have a crappy camera, my lighting was poor, and I am a pretty awful photographer, so if the pics are a bit blurry, there are 3 reasons why :P

Front:

Close Up Front:

From the Flank: Image

Rear:

AND... just for kicks... thought I might throw in a pic of all the finished models in my army so far, so you guys can see how its coming together from a distance:

C+C appreciated as usual. Please note that there are still MANY touch-ups to be done. Random spots of paint are NOT, contrary to popular belief, warpaint of any kind :D (Jeez why would there be flesh-colored warpaint on the ridge of his hood anyways??
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

hey Saedron, nice looking miniatures there in terms of how well they are painted. I dont agree with your colour scheme, it far from feels right seeing lime green and pink dark elves but that could just be me. Still, i mean no offence, its just an opinion. The actual painting itself is something else, i like the highlighting on the armour and the detail in the faces looks substansial. The horses look like they could use more work maybe, though that could be because of the photos. How did you paint the horses?

I recommend posting smaller images with a link to larger images. Are you aware the maximum image size allowed is 800 X 600 pixels
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Yeah, the colors aren't really working for me . . .

That green is just blindingly bright. I think you could get away with it if it were a tertiary color, with the Purple being the main color along with some neutrals (like black) and metallics, with the green thrown in on little bits here and there. But I don't like it as a main color choice here.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Very nice paint technique. Mystifying choice and application of colour.
One thing is almost certain. I doubt you will see another dark elf army that looks like yours. ;)
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Arhain cynath
Shade

Post by Arhain cynath »

At the first sight the colour jumped to my eyes, but then it is quite nice :) I'm just not a fan of the pinkinsh/purple for Dark Elves, my army is more Emerald Green + Red symbols, so darker than yours.

Your army is therefore pretty nice looking, your riders bodies are well painted :)
My body is dedicated to our King, but my weapon and hatred are dedicated to Khaine!!
- Arhain Cynath, the Red Dragon of Har Ganeth
Bauglir
Beastmaster

Post by Bauglir »

it sure is a very individual and original colour scheme and the paint job is really good, but i just cannot get on board with that colour scheme, at least for Darkelves, sorry.
"ARGH! MY EYES! MY EYES!" ;)
Malekith and Morathi meet Jerry Springer: read the complete saga here
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=37639

My Gallery: http://photobucket.com/albums/a18/senna ... warhammer/
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

I have to agree with the other people who have said that this is a bit too bright for Dark Elves. The paintjob is nice and neat, so no worries there. What I would suggest is that you use dark green ink on the armor - that will make the whole model look less "screaming" ;)

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

For me its actually a bit boring. Pick out the boots and trowsers in another colour, and the straps and rivets on the muso are begging to be another colour.

I don't think coloured metal work's, but if you like it then cool. Contrasting bare metal on the helmet and perhaps picking out one or two ribs on the curiasses might add a less plastic feel to them.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Ahahaha! :D
I sure do like your colors mate. They're a real blast!
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Tigtoad
Hydra Lord

Post by Tigtoad »

I like it. I think bright green and pink are quite evil.

If nothing else, people will go "Whats with those colors on your dark elves?" If they look disgusted, I think you achieved proper evil.

Good job.
Elipsis
Dark Rider

Post by Elipsis »

Reminds me of clowns.....EVIL CLOWNS!!!

See Dark Knight for further details
Saedron
Shade

Post by Saedron »

Wow thanks for all the responses guys! The green is rather bright in person, I won't deny, but my lighting leaves for a lot of improvement

The horses look like they could use more work maybe, though that could be because of the photos. How did you paint the horses?

I am terrible at painting horses, and animals in general... It's my "achilles heel" of painting. The skin on the horses was scorched brown, bestial brown, desert yellow drybrush highlight, then scorched was reapplied in a very watered down wash. The hair is codex grey, fortress grey drybrush, black wash, light drybrush fortress grey on the tips of the hair.

re you aware the maximum image size allowed is 800 X 600 pixels

No I was not, but thank you for alerting me. I will be sure to shrink the images in the future.

What I would suggest is that you use dark green ink on the armor - that will make the whole model look less "screaming"

I thought about that, but I think that the green isn't way too bright IRL, I think it is my lighting that makes them pop way more than they should. Still, its a possibility that I have been thinking about.

...and the straps and rivets on the muso are begging to be another colour.... ...Contrasting bare metal on the helmet and perhaps picking out one or two ribs on the curiasses might add a less plastic feel to them.

Those are both very good suggestions. A metallic helmet could add some nice contrast to the unit, and those straps probably should be leather, not armor. I just wasn't exactly sure what I was painting.

Ahahaha!
I sure do like your colors mate. They're a real blast!

Hey wow someone is actually as strange as I am!! :P
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

I thought they were gobbos at first glance lol. I actually like the paint job a lot and they are surely some good lokking mini's. The color scheme is not my style, but hey it's your army do what you feel is right. Also it makes your army more unique than most DE armies. Cheers!
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Saedron
Shade

Post by Saedron »

I thought they were gobbos at first glance lol.

Funny, because one of my most common opponents plays a goblin wolf rider horde... :P
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Saedron wrote:I am terrible at painting horses, and animals in general... It's my "achilles heel" of painting. The skin on the horses was scorched brown, bestial brown, desert yellow drybrush highlight, then scorched was reapplied in a very watered down wash. The hair is codex grey, fortress grey drybrush, black wash, light drybrush fortress grey on the tips of the hair.

It always helps me to look at some horse pics when I'm painting them. I mostly do persians, black feet and nose, black mane and a slightly darker body than yours with some white bands or matches occasionally. The horse furniture could be the same colour as the armour, just to tie the rider closer to the mount.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Fellheart
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Fellheart »

Lol, way cool :D ... Mounted striking scorpions for the win.

I'd like to see your army when it is finished.. maybe toss in a pink hydra?
Driven by anger, fueled by hatred
Lord ruerl of harganeth
Beastmaster
Location: Searching Ulthuan for my wife's murderer (New Zealand actually)

Post by Lord ruerl of harganeth »

i like your chracter model

Let's see

DR Herald blade, warrior shield executioner body?

Sorry but the pink and green is too bright for my liking. Good attempt at making a unqiue colour scheme though.
"Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, I will have my Venegance"
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

I believe the paintjob was nice, and the color scheme was very good.. if they weren't Dark Elves. They remind me of Wood Elves. Did you end up painting more of your army?
Frigus morte
Warrior

Post by Frigus morte »

They remind me of "Lisebegskaniner":

Nice paint job, but I dont think the colors are very "DE'ish". We all have different taste though :).
Sedro
Beastmaster
Location: sieging Ulthuan...alone when not in gothenburg Sweden

Post by Sedro »

haha Tänkte också på dem ;)
I really like your scheme, I like it because it's speciall and you have been choosing it yourself and was very brave doing that! They look very "beautiful" and that's good.

BTW very nice terrai have you made it yourself or is it at a GW store???
Western elf
Corsair

Post by Western elf »

Crazy colour scheme, but I like it. :)
your western homes are locked forever
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Whoa! Pastels went out with the 80's!!! I can't really tell what your detail-level skill from these pictures but the colours are anti-dark elf and very clowny. You'll never win a painting competition with those colours but if all you want is to make your models stand out at table-top quality, you've definitely done it. Sorry...!
Mar-win
Highborn

Post by Mar-win »

I for one like the colour scheme :) I go for purple and green as well (although my green is a lot darker and gloomy) and I think it works well! The pictures are a bit blurry, but from what I can tell they look great! I would possibly be a bit more caring with the bare faces, washing and shading them a bit in addition to giving the cheek bones, nose and shin some more highlighting, all to give the models a bit more character!
RasputinII wrote:FANTASTIC!

I LOVE IT SOO MUCH I AM USING CAPS - AND I HATE CAPS!
Ian_draco
Slave on the Altar

Post by Ian_draco »

It actually reminds me of a black light poster. I honestly think it's pretty cool. It's fantasy man, do whatever you want.

ian
Never let an unpainted model hit the table!
Dark_and_pointy
Warrior

Post by Dark_and_pointy »

Haha i thought they were gobbos to for a second, armour is great, i think the faces and the hores need a little work though, jus tto bring the colurs up to scratch with the armour and clothe