Heavy Magic in 7th Ed. book

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Magni
Slave (off the Altar)

Heavy Magic in 7th Ed. book

Post by Magni »

Hei!

I will beging playing DE soon, but I'm still waiting for the new book, but it seems that you guys are already fit in the new rules. My question is: Is it possible to play a DE army list with heavy magic with 2 or better 3 Sorceress successfully?

(sorry, my english has been better :))

Greetings!
Darkfine
Slave on the Altar

Post by Darkfine »

Yeah they can. The new DE book can rival VC and Demons. I played a 2000 game today with a lvl 4 and 2 lvl 2s and was rolling on average 20 PD a turn. Combine that with the fact that our spell slingers can throw any number of dice to cast and it just gets stupid. One of my lvl 2s was dropping a Black Horror and Chillwind every turn with ease.

I shutter to think what a maxed magic army can pull. Be careful with those miscasts though, we lost our protection against it.
Agrem
Shade

Post by Agrem »

Yes I think you will be able to get quite heavy magic with 2 or 3 wizards. With the new dark elf casting and the power of darkness spell you get big amount of power dice you can use in various ways. The way I'd do this would be getting one level 4 and one level 2 sorceress. That should give you alot of casting power. But If you prefer more of a melee power to your army then you could also take dreadlord and 2 or 3 hero level casters. Though I think that 3 sorceresses could be abit much. Kinda depends on your other army. But you should be able to get decent power to your magic phases with only two mages. They should be more powerfull than any other two hero casters if you equip them well. Although you could get run down by level casters.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

last game my level 2 sorceress cast fireball on 4 dice... just because! :P I love it!
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Antinchip
Warrior

Post by Antinchip »

Is power of darkness a dark magic spell or can a sorceress combine this with lore of fire spells for example?

Cheers

Antinchip
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Power of Darkness is a spell that all sorceresses know, no matter what lore they use.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Magni
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Magni »

Thanks a lot! That will help me very much with the writing of my army lists!
Slayer69
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slayer69 »

Where in Berlin are you from? I myself play O&G, DE, Dwarves and VC. Maybee one could meet up for a friendly game or so.

As to your question. magic-heavy as actually gotten better in 7th edition for DE. Only be careful of the now harsher miscsttable.

Cheers
Reaper
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Yes well I used a sorc in a 1k game yesterday and got two miscats in four rounds.. Which was really unlucky. My rolling was kind of bad and I got off one spell, which was dispelled.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

Our magic have always been potent and a valuable tool. Now the new book seems to indicate that we will be the new undisputed rulers of the magic phase.

Ive always seen the magic phase as a ''pissing contest'' between magicians and now we by far have the bigger ''staff''
3 Sorcs played wisely will absolutely rule the magic phase.

EDIT: one more thing. welcome to Dnet :)
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Elipsis
Dark Rider

Post by Elipsis »

I have only been playing dwarfs for the last three years, so the prospect of massive magic phases and unlimited dice makes me happy.
Can't wait to cast a load of Ice storms and fireballs on my Brothers Goblins :twisted:
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

Darkfine wrote:I played a 2000 game today with a lvl 4 and 2 lvl 2s and was rolling on average 20 PD a turn.

Twenty?! How? You get 10 base, I'm guessing you added the Sacrificial Dagger, Darkstar Cloak, and the PoD staff along with a few castings of the PoD spell itself. Even with all that 20 seems high for an average turn. Am I wrong, or did you just get very lucky with your PoD rolls?
Tolkar of har ganeth
Dark Rider

Post by Tolkar of har ganeth »

I've been playing games with a level four and a level two and must say that we absolutely ROCK at magic. But as mentioned before, the chance of a miscast is not to be underestimated. My level four actually ended the game as a level two! And once stopped my magic phase. The other wizard got sucked into the warp. But when they where alive they did some serious damage.

Yeah a magic heavy list is possible, but beware of the risks. Playing defencive with magic is a safer way to play if you want certainty that you'll survive, but will shut you of of our beautiful magic.
KILL!!!
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

I've had incredible bad experiences from using sorcerors, I've used them in my last five games and the've all died in one way or the other. Especially from miscasts. But it will turn, I'll continue to use sorcs, PoD is too cool to pass up.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Lord tareq
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tareq »

I especially like how a mere two level 2 sorceresses can make an effective magic phase even against opponents with good magic defense. The only thing that irks me is that sorceresses are so much more effective then High Sorceresses. For the same point cost you get 1 extra wound, you spread the risk of loosing valuable characters, and you get an additional PoD spell, where the High Sorceress needs to pay an additional 55 points for.
Now it's been ten thousand years. Man has cried a billion tears.
For what he never knew, now man's reign is through.

But through eternal night. The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away. Maybe it's only yesterday.
Elfik
Assassin
Location: Victoria, BC, on the Western shores of the New World

Post by Elfik »

Yeah I'm starting to think that 2 lvls, 2 scrolls each, might be worth it for well balanced magic in 2K.

The pts cost of our lords is a bit overpriced I agree, but the items and ld can be worth it. Also it depends on what spells you'd rather have. With only 4 levels of magic, I'd rather be able to cast chillwind twice. With 6-8 levels of magic, I'd rather go for more destructive magic.
People say "insert problem" but it's better to say "insert improvement"
Magni
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Magni »

slayer69 wrote:Where in Berlin are you from? I myself play O&G, DE, Dwarves and VC. Maybee one could meet up for a friendly game or so.

As to your question. magic-heavy as actually gotten better in 7th edition for DE. Only be careful of the now harsher miscsttable.

Cheers

Sorry, I didn't read here last time. I'm from Lichtenrade/Tempelhof.
Gibious
Highborn

Post by Gibious »

DE magic did get an awsome boost in that we have almost a limitless supply of PD and we can use a limitless amount to cast. Not to mention the new familiar that gives great ideas for strategies, anyone casted WOP on the unit they just charged?

But im mostly loving hero sorc riding pegasus'
...Well thats the end of my post
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Moved to Tactics due to content.

If anyone disagrees - feel free to pm me.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

Mr. Anderson wrote:Moved to Tactics due to content.

If anyone disagrees - feel free to pm me.

An exarch of khaine that dates a witch elf? It seems like you have been HUZZAHING alot more then normal. :)

Anyway, back on topic. What items/lores would you guys give your sorcs to fight daemons? I was thinking about using fire against nurgle to cancel out all those annoying regen saves, but I wasn't sure about the other three powers.
Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

Hmmm for demons I think fire or our own Dark magic would be best. None of the other lores really strike me as very useful against demons. Actually come to think of it fire would almost certainly be best because all but one of the spells will actually harm them. And it does get rid of those annoying regen saves.
Cratz
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cratz »

Don't know if this is OT but I thought I post it here.

If I used 2 lvl2 mages where the other one had sacrificial dagger, should I run tome of furion or darkstar cloak on the other?

This is something I have been debating for myself. With tome I could get more spells to use my all those PD on. Cloak would give me even more PD but will that go wasted as I would only have 4 spells?
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Nurgle tend to have low Initiative values so perhaps (if you plan on using a supreme sorc with the tome) going for shadow on the off chance of getting pit of shades? No ward saves are allowed either for it so bye bye mr 10 wound unclean one!

- Beanz

ps. snap Anderson! I date a pink blue and purple haired devotee of slaanesh if you get my drift... :D
Shi
Corsair

Post by Shi »

I had a game vs O&G yesterday. First game since 7th Ed. came out. 2 lvl 2 caster got 4 misscasts. But when they did not backfire they rocked: 2 chariots, 7 wolfriders and about 25 orcs. Gotta love Arnizaple´s ( Arnizzlipllee, whatever )Black Horror
Here am I,
here is death!