adding a nautical theme to non corsair units

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Xenock
Slave (off the Altar)

adding a nautical theme to non corsair units

Post by Xenock »

Ok, as my other thread stated, I'm going to do a corsair army. So I plan to give more of my figures more of a nautical theme.

I see the new supreme sorceress on foot. Its not the greatest model.. But I am going to get one.. (I'll use her eventually) Anyway I think her dark magic flowing around her could aslo be worked to look more watery.. but I was wonder what ideas people might have for her staff. As thats the only peice I really dislike.. The rest.. like her face, is probably just how its painted. Although I am willing to take other ideas for parts, as i'd like to see what could be done.

I also am planning on a hydra. Although yes, I know corsairs are known for there bolt throwers, I think the hydra could be a nice addition too. And I noticed someone suggested in another thread about converting into a scylla. How would one do that? And are there other ideas on how one could make it more like a sea creature, or just to make it fit in a bit more?

And what about other units? I dont know what else to use.. But I think a nautical look could create a nice theme. So what other units could a few little conversions be done to, to give a nautical feel?
"Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their families and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy."

- Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Re: the hydra -- you could use a saw to just cut the body with a clean, straight slice to leave just the part with the necks and heads. Put it on a base so that it's rising up out of the water. But then you have the problem of what to do with the handlers.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Halbarad
Executioner

Post by Halbarad »

Dyvim Tvar wrote:Re: the hydra -- you could use a saw to just cut the body with a clean, straight slice to leave just the part with the necks and heads. Put it on a base so that it's rising up out of the water. But then you have the problem of what to do with the handlers.

Have them riding on the back of the hydra with some chain from one of them to it's body or some of it's heads.

Not the safest place to be but Hydra handlers are never safe when near their beasts.
I live on the edge. Between Life and Death, Light and Dark, Insanity and Genius. I protect you all from what you truly are and what I know you to be.
Xenock
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Xenock »

maybe.. mount the handlers on rocks peaking out of the water? like they are jumping from rock to rock guiding the hydra around. Or maybe I could mount them on some small sea beastie peaking a hump out of the water where they stand.
"Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their families and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy."

Gibious
Highborn

Post by Gibious »

Realy long sticks like shown in the newer King Kong fro the BM =D

Rest of army colours just use sae colours
-Blue tainted skin
-Green rust the metal/Blue highlight (depends on personal preferance)
-Turquoise clour, with blue and green swirled in
...Well thats the end of my post
Lesmiserables
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lesmiserables »

Hey, I'm running a lot of corsairs as well. I committed myself to a nautical theme a while back and have been considering many of the same questions. I don't have many outright ideas for you but I'll throw out what I've come up w/ for my own army in the off chance that is sparks an idea for you.

The first thing I wanted to do was model up movement trays that looked like ships. I made three of these and they fit 5x5 RnF's. they're for display purposes only, as I think they would look odd moving about the table top.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/h ... r-crew.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/h ... r-bow2.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/h ... r-port.jpg

The next thing I wanted was some plasticard that looked like wooden deck planking. I found that easily enough from a certain Brittish manufacturer:
http://www.appliedimaginationinc.com/ca ... 16000.html

I've got most all of my models and movement trays fit w/ this plasticard. For the extra basing matierials I'm going to use buckets and a piece of string w/ smaller treble hooks (will look like grappling hooks) running underneath my Dark Riders so that it looks like they're jumping over the line

For your hydra, I think it would be really cool if you could model up an aquatic version. If you could find a nice model of a whale you could use the tail to model the classic "Loch Ness Monster" pose w/ part of the body above the water line and the tail out of the water in the back.

What are you going to do for harpies? I was considering something like flying fish but I can't find any models that make me want to start a conversion.
Xenock
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Xenock »

Well I dont know about a whale tail for my hydra, but I will see about having it in water. As I may try that, or have it look like its coming up on a rocky coast, as I dont think a sandy beach would be approriate.

And I like your movement trays, but they just arent dark elf enough for me.. I still wanna be appear dark elf, just give them a touch of the sea.

And as for harpies. I wasn't thinking of them quite yet. I was leaving possibilities for other units.. I just wasnt sure. Although Games Workshops Current harpies arent the best. Although even if I did find a flying fish, I dont know if I'd want them either. I dont think it would seem right. Although right now, my only idea other than trying to think up some wacky conversion would be to use gamezone harpies. As with their poses, they'd look good flying above the sea!

Xenock
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Xenock »

Ok.. Sorry for the double post, but I just thought up some ideas for some harpy conversions. My idea if to find some nude female figures from other miniature companies. As gw doesnt have any of those, and add some bat wings. Maybe just some from a bat swarm The idea is siren/harpy. So they are alluring like a siren.. but have them count as harpies.. Even though they may not look as threatening. :twisted: And who knows, some people may not know what they are right away. he he he.

How does that sound?

Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

Ah! I am doing the same thing.

Some things I'm doing:
1. My CoKs are corsair vets. I'm using Corsair heads and cutlasses, a corsair unit standard icons (they are interchangeable with the CoK icons!). One of my CoKs has a standard CoK helmet, but a crest from the corsair sprue. Looks very cool. The standard bearer is also holding the crazy corsair hook weapon, instead of the flanged mace.

2. For my Hydra, I've used greenstuff to create webbing between the spines on his back, and those on the necks as well. He looks suitable sea monsterish now. :)

3. For my Crossbowmen, I will be using corsair heads and legs. I might even model them using a handweapon and shield, with their crossbows on their backs, just to make them look a little more unique.

4. I'll be modeling my bases as a sandy coastland to match my display board, as if they are storming the beach from the sea. I'll greenstuff the occasional sea shell, starfish and what-not as well to add a little bit of detail.

As soon as I can get a digital camera that takes reasonably good photos of minis (something my current camera is terrible at), I'll be starting a project log so I can show some of what I'm doing.