Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Darkadon
Malekith's Personal Guard

Best Magic Items for Morathi

Post by Darkadon »

My vote for the best kit is:

-Darksword
-Potion of Strength
-55 pts. Magic Staff that let's you cast power of sorcery (Black Staff?)

What are some of your suggestions?
Cheap GW minis

www.gc-minis.com
Taikoubou
Trainee Warrior

^^

Post by Taikoubou »

I take the Black staff when I take her. I don't have the book with me atm, but I think that is all I would take to save points. Str potion is a good choice tho, but it is hard for me to charge something with her because she isn't unit strength 5. I would take the Lance if you are going to take the Potion of Str because you want that +2STR and the +3 from the potion and killing blow when you charge from the lance.
Kir
Executioner

Post by Kir »

lance, potion,staff, just cast word of pain and soul stealer, you should do more wounds as they have combat res, and you kill eventual mages immediatly.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

why the Heartrender of course ;)

i give her Heartrender, Black Staff, Potion
Celius
Cold One Knight

Post by Celius »

Personally, Black Staff and Heartrender. The Darksword for me is too situational for me. You need to cause a wound for the secondary effect to work. the only models i can think of off hand that this might be good against are mages, due to having 1 attack. other than that, models will normally run out of wounds first anyway, so having Heartrender is a better choice. Theres killing blow in it for you too ;)
Finally; someone's put the 7th Edition Dark Elf book up for download: Here!
Grab it while you can!
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Was posting at a sacrifical dagger on sorceress topic about this combination that I would love to try (if it is legal)

Sacrifical dagger on Morathi and have her in a unit of about 30 spearelves.

Casting all her spells with one more dice and that original +1... that would be insane amounts of magic damage.

She can join a squad of spearmen, right?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Morathi is always fielded on Sulephet, so until her pet pegasus dies she cannot join any units.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Oh, yes... you are right. Flying mount, and monstrous I guess...

Well, could sacrifice Suluphet first then? :P

Then again, I guess that is not like someone in a unit, but a mount.
Fa'loui
Beastmaster

Post by Fa'loui »

I prefer her with the sword and the familiar, this way she becomes the ultimate magehunter, 1 wound on a mage will kill the mage ( if it has only 1 attack as normal), and the familira lets her cast any spell she wants even when she is in combat ( for example against a mage)

the lance doesnt really fit it for me, it's more expensive then the sword, you dont want her in combat againts units that need S6 or KB to die.

the familiar also makes it ossible for here to hide behind terrain or in terrain if the opponent would have lots of magic/ shooting/ fliers
(\__/)
(O.O)
(> <)--> This is Runny, the threelegged devil. Copy Runny into your signature to help him conquer Bunny and save the world from worlddommination
^^^
The_vicar
Beastmaster

Post by The_vicar »

I would have liked to have teken the hydras teeth, with a 12 inch range she could engage small units or single charcters but her BS of 4 is not great, still worth a shout i think.
Stand and deliver sir!, lest I cleft your head in twain....
Mr. tibbs
Shade

Post by Mr. tibbs »

Crystal of Midnight and the Focus Familiar.

She's so fast that she can always keep herself behind terrain or other units and cast spells past them with the familiar. Plus, if she ever gets stuck in combat, she can still cast spells, b/c the familiar is NOT in combat. So soul stealer and a black horror template on the back of the unit she's engaged with = no more rank bonus (and a panic test).

Crystal is just a bonus, b/c I never know what else to give her, and it can be a real morale killer if the other player only has one magic user.

Her weapon is always the lance, just to give her that extra omph if she ever gets trapped and has to break out or she catches a lone wizard or a (weak) warmachine crew unattended. Otherwise, I would never send Morathi into combat, and never allow her to be charged (if at all possible...).
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Omnichron wrote:Oh, yes... you are right. Flying mount, and monstrous I guess...

Well, could sacrifice Suluphet first then? :P

Then again, I guess that is not like someone in a unit, but a mount.

That's something she cannot do as "the rider and its mount count as a single model" (:
Eqaddictedfool
Corsair

Post by Eqaddictedfool »

mr. tibbs wrote:Crystal of Midnight and the Focus Familiar.

She's so fast that she can always keep herself behind terrain or other units and cast spells past them with the familiar. Plus, if she ever gets stuck in combat, she can still cast spells, b/c the familiar is NOT in combat. So soul stealer and a black horror template on the back of the unit she's engaged with = no more rank bonus (and a panic test).

She may not be in combat but the unit still is and i dont believe that souls tealer and block horror can be cast on units in combat and panic tests dont happen with units in combat only break tests.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Black Horror cannot be cast into combat, but Soulstealer can be cast into combat and it is quite helpful as well - to restore wounds as well as taking Rank Bonus away. And Black horror can be cast at someone else so the Focus Familiar is quite a nice item for a sorceress who is most likely going to get stuck in combat at some point.

I would still go for Black staff though, somehow it seems only fair that Morathi can potentially generate 12 PD on her own because she is supposed to be one of the most powerful magicians in the world, and even Teclis can't match her destructive potential at times.

As to which enchanted item she should use... I don't really fancy any of them, TBH... maybe the potion of strength when she goes for her sword but I much prefer her with the lance so I guess I'll be saving some points there.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Black Horror *can* be cast into combat because its target is not the unit in question but some point on the battlefield chosen by you, Just pick a point close enough to the engaged unit but far enough not to hit your own models in combat.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Mr. tibbs
Shade

Post by Mr. tibbs »

Dalamar wrote:Black Horror *can* be cast into combat because its target is not the unit in question but some point on the battlefield chosen by you, Just pick a point close enough to the engaged unit but far enough not to hit your own models in combat.
Yeah! Seconding Dalamar here!

When I realized this about BH--in the middle of my first game with the new book--I just about did a somersault from joy. Also note: it doesn't require line of sight.
Darkadon
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Darkadon »

@Dalamar and Mr. Tibbs,

I don't have the book with me at the mo (in the middle of moving), so I can't quote the page number (a little help someone!), but templates cannot not be purposely shot/cast into units in combat. However, things like stone throwers can be placed beside a combat, and you can take a chance that it will scatter in there.
Cheap GW minis

www.gc-minis.com
Delolindir
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Delolindir »

Is she allowed to have multiple dispell-scrolls, seeing as she doesn't have a point cap on her magic items, and she can pick arcane items...
Together with the Terror-Mask and Dark Sword, that would be my pick.
The weak will die so that the strong prevail!
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Darkadon wrote:@Dalamar and Mr. Tibbs,

I don't have the book with me at the mo (in the middle of moving), so I can't quote the page number (a little help someone!), but templates cannot not be purposely shot/cast into units in combat. However, things like stone throwers can be placed beside a combat, and you can take a chance that it will scatter in there.

Pg 107 CASTING SPELLS

"Spells cannot be cast at units engaged in close combat,"

Black horror is cast at a point on the ground rather than a unit which is the excuse these two are using, however

"unless the spell only affects the caster himself or the spell's description specifies otherwise."

Black horror dosen't say it can be cast into combat, so no, it can't be targeted on units in combat. Simply really.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Just over a year old, how did we even find this thread? Start a new discussion and link to this if you like, but I'll be locking it.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite