Magic Lore Synergy

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Yourmumrang
Noble

Magic Lore Synergy

Post by Yourmumrang »

Hey all! I had a good look through the DRAICH but couldnt spot anything about making best use of multiple lores.

I run a Lvl 4 and 2 Lvl 2's and have been thinking about which lores to take with each and also some good combos that can be found when mixing lores.

One strategy has come to mind when giving my Lvl 4 the Black Staff and taking Shadows on my Lvl 2's. One of my 2 Assasins can have the Cloak of Twilight so I can throw around 1 bound Steed and another 2. This all comes after the Lvl 4 has drawn out a lot of dispel dice thanks to her dangerous spells and Bound spell.

Anyone mixing lores and finding some good strategies?
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

You could take a foot noble (Soul Render and Pendent of Khaleth is a good combo) to give you a 2nd nasty surprised to catapult around too - he'd fairly cheap I think at around 140ts

making the best use of multiple lores tends to be focused on which opponent your facing and how large your army is in my experience: for instance, I faced off against a forest spirit heavy list and a vampire counts army (3.5k each).
I went magic heavy to counter the vampires (though it still didnt work!) - so took 2 level 4s and 2 level 2s.
- One of the level 4s was on a Pegasus, so I took the more short ranged spell list with her - Dark Magic or Death and sometime Shadow suits the Pegasus riding character well - especially if you take the focus familiar so that your short ranged spells can affect even more distant targets further up the board (as well as keeping the wizard hidden ;)).
- My 2nd Level 4 Wizard was placed ina very large unit of warriors with the Sac Dagg - she took fire which has a good range on it so that made up for her lack of speed by being on foot. It always meant that I could have rolled Flaming Sword in case she accdidentally became engaged in combat.
- My first of the 2nd level wizards had the tome of furion and lifetaker - she effectively became a mini bolt thrower (I even had her join a Reaper crew for protection and LOS) and to take advantage of her position and distance, she took Lore of Metal because all the spells are 24" range (and complements very well with her role as a 'sniper') - She would have LOS (being on a hill) to cast the magic missile and/or rule of burning iron and could still pump out her 3 S4 2+ to hit shots. The Tome helped too as the Undead and Asrai had no warmachines - so one of the spells on the lore would have been ineffective: the tome goes some way to nullify this.
- Lastly I took a fairly bog standard level 2 on dark steed to run about with her Darkstar Cloak. She took Dark - again because of short ranges and because Death would've not been so effective against Undead or Forest Spirits (my fav spell - doooom and daaarrrkness! Cant affect ItP units).

So theres my thinking in that case scenario for lore synergy. It depends like I say on what you've taken (equipment and army wise) as well as more vitally what army you're facing.

For example, I also chose 2 Dark Wizards for this game because I knew Id be facing a lot of Glade Guard - I'd apply the same theory if I was facing Empire, Dwarves or even High Elves: Chillwind is just too good a spell to pass up: its almost worth choosing Dark lore to get this spell (automatically ;)) against armies with strong shooting phase potential.

Likewise, against Vampires, they can have a lot of Regenerating units and abilities - so lore of Fire counteracts this quite nicely (corpse carts, vargulfs and grave guard blocks spring to mind)

Rule of Iron against Bretts is a must. etc.

I understand this is a thread about synergy - but that occurs more often when you're fighting balanced opponents army where your wizards can fulfill niche roles - taking out specific sections of their army with well placed spells (applying death, dark and metal for instance against a well rounded Empire Army-death for the -3 LD/no armour save/fear causing elements as well as the S4 MMs. Dark to stop their shooting and cause huge numbers of hits - wiping out low T/S units with Black Horror/Soul Stealer and killing off warmachine crews with bladewind - metal would handle any units with good armour saves with Rule of Burning Iron, Spirit of the Forge, and Trans of Lead - warmachines could be stopped firing/chariots/pope mobiles stopped etc).

- Beanz
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Unit-wide Annoyance of Netlings:

Dark - Word of Pain (WS1 BS1 on enemy unit)
Metal - Transmutation of Lead (-1 to hit -1 to wound -1 armor save on enemy unit)

A unit affect by both will only ever hit you on 6s and on top of that wound you even less.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Nice, two spells to make one unit impossibly crap :D
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Magic Lore Synergy

Post by Calisson »

YourMumRang wrote:Hey all! I had a good look through the DRAICH but couldnt spot anything about making best use of multiple lores.
Self-comitting question:
If a topic is not (yet) in the D.R.A.I.C.H., then YOU start the thread (as you just did) and it will quickly be added in the D.R.A.I.C.H. :lol:
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

I've found that taking Fire with a Sorc that has the Sacr. dagger is pretty nice. She always takes at least 1 of the magic missiles. I put her in a unit of RXB dudes, and then she's at the same range they are for most spells. I equip my Lvl 4 with a DP and the PoD staff, lvl 2 with a DS, and another lvl 2 with the Focus Familiar. This allows them all to get in range for Dark Magic. I usually start with the Fire Sorc. She gets her spell off, putting pressure on the opponent to starting burning dice right away.

Works pretty good.
Reincus
Shade

Post by Reincus »

Not sure how mucy synergy you need when you bring 4 mages and 12 PD to the table...
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

Ha! probably a good point! ;)
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

Hey, every little bit helps! :D
Shade3413
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shade3413 »

Word of pain + Transmution of lead would remove the entire unit would it not? I may be getting my games mixed (played too much necromunda and 40k) but if a unit's stat is reduced to 0, which it is in this case, they die do they not?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Their stat is at 1, but they get -1 to hit/wound/armour saves not actual stats.
So their stat still stays at 1.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kreoss
Noble

Post by Kreoss »

Nope. For a unit to be counted as slain from stat reduction, it has to be either S, T, or W which are reduced to zero. Besides this, Transmutation of Lead makes your opponent take a penalty to their to-hit roll, and does not reduce their WS.

As far as synergy goes, I find its hard to coordinate any magic when facing experienced opponents. Other than Transmutation of Lead, Metal is unfortunately almost completely useless except for filling a very specific role. Death and Shadow lores work well with the ability to Doom and Darkness a unit, then Unseen Lurker/Steed of Shadows a unit of Fear causers or Lokhir Fellheart into them. As well use a spell like Pit of Shades or Black Horror (Not that Black Horror really needs to synergize with something) to augment the forced panic check. Fire, even, is synergistic with Shadow, allowing you to Wall of Fire a large infantry unit, then using Unseen Lurker to put them in a situation where they either flee (and die in a fire) or hold to a flank/rear charge.

There are lots of possibilities, but ultimately the magic lores are best used to complement each other in less direct ways.