2000 Pt Pirate themed army (Arrrrrgh!?)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Pointystick
Slave (off the Altar)

2000 Pt Pirate themed army (Arrrrrgh!?)

Post by Pointystick »

Hello all, Im new to these forums. Dark Elves were my orginal army when I started fantasy a few years back, but due to school and etc, I slowly fell out of the hobby. Now that the new book is out and Im living with a high elf player I figured that nows as good a time as any to try and get back into the game.

UNFORTUNATELY due to a series of circumstances my old army is now in a junkyard somewhere.... so I wont be able to test this list out for some time (as I was slow at this stuff back in High School I cant imagine myself being any faster now). But overall Im just looking for specific tactics that might mesh well with the list, my main gripe with it is I was hoping to squeeze a few things in that didnt make it, such as some dark riders and maybe some more bolt throwers and assassins :). Anyways thanks in advance!

Heroes:
Master: Crimson Death, Armor of Darkness, Dark Pegasus 190 pts
Sorceress: Level 2, dispel scroll focus familiar 185 pts
Sorceress: Level 2, Darkstar cloak, dispel scroll 185 pts
(unsure if I should swap one scroll on the first sorceress for the cloak and give the other one a scroll in place)

Core:
20 Corsairs: Full Command 225 pts
20 Corsairs: Full Command 225 pts
10 Repeater Crossbowman 100pts
10 Repeater Crossbowman 100pts
5 Harpies 55 pts
5 Harpies 55 pts

Special:
5 Shades: Blood Shade, Great Weapons, Light Armor 113 pts
5 Shades: Blood Shade, Great Weapons, Light Armor 113 pts
7 Cold One Knights Full Command, Whip of Agony 254 pts

Rare:
2 repeater bolt throwers 200 pts.

2 000 pts
Last edited by Pointystick on Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I'm pretty unexcited by corsairs generally, and would definitely drop at least one block for something more useful.

The familiar and DSC are both arcane so you can't have them on the same model.

You lack in mobility, so you master and maybne one of the girls could do with a mount. Manti if that way inclinded, otherwise a steed would do.

The shade units are too big, a unit or two of harpies would help with march blocking and mage hunting. As for not being nautical, they would be great for tearing up rigging on enemy ships and scouting over the horizon, so my pirate fleet would definitely include them.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Darkstarr
Shade

Post by Darkstarr »

it could work i guess but it doesnt seem to scarry since you lack fast cave an not much for heavy hitters, mabey drop on unit of corsairs for a hydra or 2 chariots and drop one unit of shades for a assasin and you got some scarry stuff in there but still is pretty themed oriented. Oh and mount your dread lord, w a pegasus or better yet drop him for a master on a peg and free up some points for something else mabey a 3rd chariot :)
Pointystick
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Pointystick »

I really do like the idea of a master on a peg to help me a bit mobility wise, my only issue is that I really dont save that many points downgrading to a master, for a character that is inferior in everything but mobility.

If I were too take him Id toss him armor of darkness and probably the crimson death (just to be sure with crimson death your not resigned to striking last correct? as it is two handed but its not designated as an actual great weapon) making him 190 pts, loosing WS, W, A, I, and the one that bothers me Ld. But I do like this idea.

Oh thank you about pointing out the arcane item thing rabidnid, I had completely forgotten about that. What do you suggest for shade unit size? As I was hoping to use them for more then just war machines and march blocking, I figured with how fragile they appear to be that a couple extra would be handy.

In terms of fast cav... I defiantly want to fit in some dark riders in, the fit in terms of theme and they are probably one of my favorite units of all time, I suppose I could loose a block of corsairs (probably the group of 19 since it looks like Ill be dropping the foot slogging dreadlord.)
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I think your army needs a bit more punch. You have no high strength attacks. If you want to stay with your current setup, I would consider giving your shades great weapons and then giving your lord a weapon with higher strength, whether it is a mundane great weapon or a magical weapon.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Pointystick
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Pointystick »

list updated
Lordsaradain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lordsaradain »

If it's a pirate theme, cavalry and mounts don't fit very well.

And a SDC is a must on your general! :D
Click here to find out how to convert cooler and cheaper models!
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Pointystick
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Pointystick »

I had a foot slogging dreadlord before, but I really needed to toss in some mobility. As for the SDC Id toss it on him if I werent right at 2000 pts :).

As for the knights though I figure they fit in well enough for a pirate army, they wouldnt be common but a shock troops like them would come in pretty handy, and occasionally hired for a raid Id imagine.
Uriain
Executioner

Post by Uriain »

Sticking with your theme, I think you should drop the coldone knights.

For the points the CoK give you, you could get a hydra, sheilds for both RxB units, Steeds for both Sorc's, and (if I am remember the right point cost for the steeds) 35pts left over for a banner.

I think the hydra fits better with you theme, as it can be your personal "kraken" for the pirates.

something to think above
Building Hand Eye Co-ordination. . . . One kill at a time.
Mr. tibbs
Shade

Post by Mr. tibbs »

I had a 1k pirate army, but when it grew up to 2k it gained COKs. I wouldn't sweat it, b/c they're green, too.

As for the relative merits of Corsairs, they are solid gold! Two attacks each and they re-roll failed rolls to hit. Mine continue to hold up better than almost anything else I field.

But remember, against HE you ALWAYS go last (or rather, they always go first), so it doesn't matter if your whole army is rocking great weapons. You can counter this with assassins and the Standard of Hag Graef. I would do both.

Here's a COK trick that'll ensure you can run straight into a unit of White Lions (normally suicide): Put the master in that unit with the dagger of hotek. his attacks should be enough to really limit what the HE can do back to you, and then your COK will destroy his unit.

My experience with White Lions is that they usually hold a flank to scare off cavalry (and rightfully so), but this trick lets you roll right through them and the HE will have to scramble to try to protect, throwing the rest of the battle line into disorder. And that's always good for a Dark Elf.

Also, the COKs' Dread Knight is Strength 4 with a lance, he doesn't need that whip. The points would probably be better spent elsewhere.

And finally: expand your frontage. with the abillity to re-roll misses, it's best to take the chance of causing more cassualties than getting the +1 for an extra rank. I usually deploy in 3x5 or 3x6 blocks. Sometimes the Witch Elves even come out in 3x7. That's a lot of attacks that you get to reroll misses for.
Dread_knight666
Noble

Post by Dread_knight666 »

I like your list it has similar properties too my own "pirate list". Alot of people criticize corsairs but I think they are great, especially if you choose to put an assassin or a master in their ranks. Even without the character support they are good. Believe me they are excellent against low armour infantry, with or without frenzy. I see many people like giving them killing blow with the cauldron to take down cav and what not, I imagine this working well.

As for lacking hitting power I'd say your doing ok with the COK and two RBT and if you drop the blood shades and give the shades GW you will be doing good. I have really good luck at running shades and COK together, have the shades draw something in with the knights hitting them in the flank.
Pointystick
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Pointystick »

Shades have got GW's :)
Therupert79
Slave on the Altar

Post by Therupert79 »

I will also sing the praises of Corsairs. I run 2 blocks of 21 @ 7x3. That's 21 attacks and rerolled misses. Say it with me...OUCH!
Current Projects:
Raiders of The Blessed Dread - Dark Elves
Slayers of Karak Kadrin
Pointystick
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Pointystick »

Any suggestions on what item I should toss the COK over the whip? or if I should find something more useful for the 25 pts.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

You're not considering Lokhir?
He fits well with the pirates.
His characteristics are quite impressive.
Paint the squid in black dotted with white and you get a terrific pirate look.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Iskiab
Corsair

Post by Iskiab »

TheRupert79 wrote:I will also sing the praises of Corsairs. I run 2 blocks of 21 @ 7x3. That's 21 attacks and rerolled misses. Say it with me...OUCH!

Why is it 21 attacks? With dual hand weapons, shouldn't it be 14 attacks and +2 to res with 2 ranks?
Lordsaradain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lordsaradain »

Sea sepent standard = frenzy = 7*3 = 21 attacks
Click here to find out how to convert cooler and cheaper models!
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Mr. tibbs
Shade

Post by Mr. tibbs »

Pointystick wrote:Any suggestions on what item I should toss the COK over the whip? or if I should find something more useful for the 25 pts.

I would drop the magic item altogether. If you want to boost the unit, give them the War Banner, or, if you can spare the points, the Standard of Slaughter. I think anything that makes the first round of combat (when you're charging with lances and rerolling misses) more potent would be a good bet, but the whip kind of lessens the Dread Knight's effectiveness in the first round.

I dunno, that's just my own preference, but I'm hardly a GT winner. If you like the idea of an elevated champion, then give him an item. After all, it's your list, so whatever you like most is definetely the best choice! :o
Pointystick
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Pointystick »

Calisson wrote:You're not considering Lokhir?
He fits well with the pirates.
His characteristics are quite impressive.
Paint the squid in black dotted with white and you get a terrific pirate look.

Ive read his rules and he really is awesome, Ive just never been one to include special characters, and despite how good he is in a 2000 pt army, hes quite the pricey hero choice (More then my general was when he was a Dreadlord rather then a master, who also had 100 pts of magic items). But I do think hell make his way in if I ever actually manage to expand past 2000 pts.

As for the magic item, I think Ill toss the champion the ring of hotek instead, Im mostly going to be playing against my roomate who plays high elves and loves magic, thus I figure a hard hitting unit like them might want an extra bit of protection.