2250 magic&shooting

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

John silver
Slave (off the Altar)

2250 magic&shooting

Post by John silver »

Supreme Sorceress - 345 Pts
General; Magic Level 4; Pendant of Khaeleth; Sacrificial Dagger; Dispel Scroll
Sorceress - 197 Pts
Magic Level 2; Dispel Scroll; Focus Familiar; Dark Steed
Sorceress - 180 Pts
Magic Level 2; Lifetaker; Tome of Furion

24 Dark Elf Warriors - 205 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Lordling; Standard - "War Banner"
5 Dark Riders - 117 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Repeater Crossbow; Musician
3x10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen - 3x110 Pts
Light Armour; Shield
5 Dark Riders - 106 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Standard; Musician
3x5 Harpies - 3x55 Pts

8 Shades - 144 Pts
Great Weapon
5 Shades - 85 Pts
2ndWeapon

2 Reaper Bolt Thrower - 200 Pts
War Hydra - 175 Pts

Casting Pool: 10
Dispel Pool: 6
Models in Army: 104
Total Army Cost: 2249
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Have you got any questions, then? It's not much use just posting the list, without any suggestion of what you want us to do with it - or indeed, what it is that you hope to do with it.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
John silver
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by John silver »

Hello, you are right I forgot type what I want from my list, so now I writing...
most of all I need advice to hero equipment.
I plan to use with list on our tournament so need some power playing army. In that list my idea was concentrate shooting and magic on enemy hard hitting units and block other units by my fast unit also hunt for enemy magic users and warmachine. What do you think can list do that? or I should change something?
sorry for my English
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I think that overall Shades will serve you better than crossbows, even if they don't get to scout. You have one decent size block of troops, but I'm guessing your sorceress is going to trim them down a bit. I wonder where your second Sorceress on foot will be deployed, as well. I think you have enough Harpies to cause a lot of bother.

Your equipment choices are all well and good, I particularly like your Sorc on Steed with Familiar. She can run from one hiding spot to the next, but she can still see what she's doing, so to speak.

I believe you'll get better value out of a second Hydra over the two Bolt Throwers - but that could also be said to be a matter of style. I'd say, swap out two of your RXB units, send in more Shades, more Dark Riders, and do what ever you like with your Rare choices.

I say this because 6 Shades, and ten RXBs cost about the same, and the Shades can all shoot, and more accurately, and in any direction, and being Skirmishers makes them the hell of a lot more annoying - particularly in the matter of redirecting charges. This will be important for keeping your Big Block of Sorceress Chow out of trouble.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
John silver
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by John silver »

Thanks for you advices, I'll think, and test your variant of armylist.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Also, have a look through this thread and the D.R.A.I.C.H. That's what it's there for!
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

John silver
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by John silver »

Thanks, but I only start to collect druchii, so don't have a lot of miniatures (but a have a lot of warriors), and cannot take everything I want, I think my list further will be accompanied by small unit of Black Guards & may be master on manticore instead one sorceress.
sorry for my English
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Oh, well that changes everything. What have you got, and what do you expect to get?
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

John silver
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by John silver »

now I have all what I include in list, exclude one sorcerers on foot. also I have 10 new COK... 3 BG, 5 WE, 2 assassins I think that's all
but I still need to paint most of my miniatures, but I have more then 30 days, so I think I can finished base stage painting schemes and further paint all more neat
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

OK, we'll work with what you have. As to whether your plan can work - shooting enemy hard-hitters - it depends on the enemy. Many enemy hard units will be largely unaffected by shooting. You've got the right idea with your marchblocking units. I think your first priority in any game is to deal with enemy shooting and magic. Us Dark Elves can usually avoid combat if we want to, but if there's too much shooting and magic around, what with our T3 and thin armour, we have nowhere to run to. So you've got to get rid of that first.

Your priorities for destroying enemy ranged threats should be :

1 - things that autohit, i.e. ratlings, organ guns, whichever else.

2 - things that have little to no targetting restrictions - magic, anvil of doom, and some other stuff.

3 - things that can lay down a lot of hits - large shooty units, template weapons, etc. With all your one-rank or skirmishing units, templates are much more dangerous to you than bolt throwers or cannons.

4 - Bolt throwers and cannons.

Also, one thing that exists outside this list - if you meet a Warp lightning cannon, charge it with Harpies as soon as ever you can.

In the first two turns, probably your most important spell is Chillwind. Also, you may find it necessary to charge your Harpies into particularly nasty shooting units to keep them from shooting. They'll die, but they're cheap, and your Druchii minions know it -no Panic!

Then, with all the ranged threats eliminated, you can manoeuvre with much more freedom, which is where this list will come into it's own. You might find it necessary to look on your RXBs as sacrificial units, or screening units. They will find it somewhat difficult to outmanoeuvre the enemy, lacking the special rules and/or speed of Dark Riders, Harpies or Shades.

Also, you could swap two of them out entirely and put in your Cold Ones. Then you have an alternate hammer unit if your L4 feels the need to kill too many of your spears.

I think that perhaps in a list like this, your Bolt Throwers might not have a place. It depends on how much your enemy fears them. If placing them on one flank can cause your enemy to gather on the other flank, then that's all they need do to be worth their points. You surround and destroy your tightly packed enemy - unless it's a Dark Elf with the Ring of Hotek!

I wouldn't ask too much of your Dark Riders in combat. Use them for marchblocking, redirecting. Use your Harpies to keep them alive, by screening/charging ranged threats. Sometimes you'll meet armies that have no ranged threats, in which case all seven units can indulge in marchblocking/redirecting. Harpies and Dark Riders are both good for suicide charges to deal with enemy mages in units, as Shades can sometimes be as well - with their Great Weapons, anyway.

In this list, even your RXBs could be used as a marchblocking and redirecting tool. They're not as good for it as the others, but they can still get in the way and be a damned nuisance. What they can't do is get out of the way easily, so they tend to die doing it. Which can be worth it, if it gives you the flank of a nasty great big unit of doom.

Harpies to keep them from shooting in the first two turns. They'll probably die doing it, but that doesn't matter much. They're cheap and don't cause panic. If you're lucky, you get a few Chillwinds to happen. Use your L4 to cast big nasty spells on big nasty units, hopefully he burns dice and scrolls on them, not to worry, then your Chillwind goes through unopposed - hopefully.

Shades are a very nasty proposition for most shooty units, in shooting and combat.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

John silver
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by John silver »

Thanks for your advices it more than I will hope to get. I will try to do what you wrote and post the report of few games. olso try to use COK like simple 5 person unit and like 6+FC+magic banner unit, I like new models but sometimes I prefer not use COK because their stupidity rule make them uncotrolible.
sorry for my English