Infantry based army 2250pts

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Skilgannon
Cold One Knight

Infantry based army 2250pts

Post by Skilgannon »

Thinking about the wide variety of infantry units the Dark Elves have I thought I would build an agressive Infantry force with several support units. So here we go:

Dreadlord: Executioner's Axe, Talisman of Protection, SDC, Heavy Armour: 247pts
BSB: Heavy Armour, SDC, Sword of Might, Pendant of Khaleth: 163pts
Sorceress: L1, 2 Dispel Scrolls: 150pts

Assasin: Add hand Weapon, Touch of Death, Dark Venom: 136pts

5 Harpies: 55pts
5 Harpies: 55pts
5 Dark Riders: RXB, Musician: 117pts
5 Dark Riders: RXB, Musician: 117pts
20 Warriors: CSM: 135pts
20 Warriors: CSM: 135pts

12 Black Guard: CSM, Banner of Hag Graef, Ring of Hotek: 251pts
13 Exceutioners: CSM: 186pts
14 Witch Elves: CSM, Manbane, Banner of Murder: 220pts
5 Shades: Great Weapons: 90pts

2 Bolt Throwers: 200pts

The Assasin will probably go in the excecutioners and the Lord and BSB in the Black Guard.
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

Characters
Just looking at the Lord, and although the Executioners Axe isn't a bad weapon, it is mighty costly, and it leaves your lord fairly unprotected, especailly with it's "Strikes Last" rule (not sure if this is overridden by the Banner of Hag Graef or not, both are explicitly stated rules).
Something like Crimson Death gives you quite considerable strength which can't be modified, but for the same price point the Potion of Strength and the Hydra Blade gives you 5-8 St7 attacks, which is just as devestating (although only for the round you use the Potion, so once again hard to justify). The main worry is that the general feels exposed.

BSB is fine, although if you can throw a shield on him that would be even better, there's no restrictions on them holding shields anymore, so go ahead and use one.

Dispell caddy, very standard. I'd suggest dropping her altogether in favour of the Seal of Ghrond on the BSB in place of the Pendant, but this is just my natrual hate of sorcoresses speaking, i'd rather spend the points on more Black Guard and Executioners. Alternatively, drop her, grab another master with Seal and some other kit so that he can bolster your battle line. Sorcoresses are just one of the more expensive caddy's, she is a sound option to the list, so it's hard to argue against her pressence.

The Core
The Warrior units are solid, dark riders are the standard setup and a tried and tested formula, so very hard to go wrong with them, harpies make great screening units. Core is solid, well thought out and fits the theme and aim.

Special and Rarep
The Special units are great, strong offensive units. The Black Guard with the Banner of Hag Graef seems to have made itself a standard amongst every army in the new book. Executioners are hard to refuse and the Witch Elves give the army the high ammount of poisoned attacks to make up for the higher str attacks that the BG and Executioners allready deliver.
Shades are fantastic, extremely diverse unit, and work well with Harpies and Dark Riders, so once again a very safe choice.

The RBT's stunted me on this list. Becuase with everything else i'd have thought they'll be rather un supported and will make easy pickings unless a unit of those warriors is going to stick around and be thier body guard, but that would seem bad use of a such a solid unit. They're an extremely good unit though, so i wouldn't recommend excluding them. A unit of Warriors with Crossbows in support of the Reapers would go a long way to keeping them safe though, as well as adding to the fire power of the list (more incentive to get people moving to you CC units).

Solid list, well thought through, infantry strong but doesn;t forget the support that other unit types offer.
Skilgannon
Cold One Knight

Post by Skilgannon »

Hey thanks for the detailed comments:

I went for the Executioners axe as with so many nasty things around the D3 wounds and high likelihood of wounds would really help go through some of the nasty stuff he might face. ASF overrides Strikes Last. Hopefully anything he faces will be dead before it can strike back.

The BSB is really key in infantry lists as you want to stay in combat so it is really important that even if you lose by one you stick around. Ld10 and a BSB give fantastic reliability. Therefore I wanted to make sure he stayed alive.

there's no restrictions on them holding shields anymore, so go ahead and use one.

No thanks, I play WYSIWYG and my BSB hasn't got three arms. I think it is a stupid change and refuse to take advantage of it.

The Bolt Throwers are interesting I would drop them for 2000pts but they perform a really useful role. The long range really helps them support other units. Also the single bolt helps as I only have a couple of units able to take on really hard stuff. They are however, a luxury so don't get protection. I certainly wouldn't tak a unit out fo the battle line to protect them. Honestly I would be more worried about a unit behind my lines than my bolt throwers being taken out.

Solid list, well thought through, infantry strong but doesn;t forget the support that other unit types offer.

Yeah people often forget that a bit of balance helps to achieve a goal not just maxing out on one thing.
Skilgannon
Cold One Knight

Post by Skilgannon »

Just realsied I overspent so will drop the dark venom on the assasin.
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

No thanks, I play WYSIWYG and my BSB hasn't got three arms. I think it is a stupid change and refuse to take advantage of it.

Be creative! He stabs his banner into the ground as he takes up the fight, both hands a free. But I understand what you mean and that's a fair enough reason so i wont push it any further than that.

I went for the Executioners axe as with so many nasty things around the D3 wounds and high likelihood of wounds would really help go through some of the nasty stuff he might face. ASF overrides Strikes Last. Hopefully anything he faces will be dead before it can strike back.

Back to this axe business. Caledor's Bane is +3 Str on the charge, and there's nothing stopping you using with a model on foot. That gves your Lord S7 attacks on the charge which is enough to one hit a chariot, and points left over for a better armour peice in order to make sure that LD10 is going to be sticking around. It'd be great if we could get killing blow on him, but that's a tad bit hard while he's on foot. Give the axe a go though, and see how it fares.
Alternatively, go with Crimson Death and the Black Amulet. That gives him plenty of high stength attacks, protecting him while still keeping his offensive nature. Punishes people and allows your generals unit to take a charge rather than relying on delivering one in order to keep his bonuses.
Skilgannon
Cold One Knight

Post by Skilgannon »

Caledor's Bane is +3 Str on the charge, and there's nothing stopping you using with a model on foot.

Given my reaction to the BSB i'm surprised you even mentioned this. Seeing as my Lord is on foot he is going to get charged a fair bit, he will charge sometimes but still this isn't a very good weapon for an infantry unit.

I still don't see many things getting past the axe 'offense is the best form of defence' comes to mind. There are plenty of good combinations which match good defence with a decent weapon, but I quite fancied taking the big expensive weapon for once.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I personally think the combination of blood armor and executioners axe would make a better combo for your lord. He would have a 1+ save in no time and that would protect him enough that the 6+ ward wouldn't be needed.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com