23%
Black Horrer
4%

Total votes: 97

King porky
Shade

What is the worst spell in the new rule book

Post by King porky »

I was just reading over the new rule book and one spell stood out as pretty bad that was Doombolt any one agree or is it just me and if
you don't what is. :?:

Sorry i forgot the new PoD spell.l
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

I think it's you. The only problem I had with doombolt in 6th edition was its limited range in a spell list very limited by range. 7th edition has change that.

Of the current spells, black horror is, in my opinion, barely worse off than the others. For the casting score a pie plate gets plunked down anywhere with 18" with the possible of scoring one wound on each model beneath the template. At best, it's a 50/50 shot, a 33% or worse chance against those things you really want dead.
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

I know many people who think Doombolt is the least valuable spell. I think it is, based on its short range and the fact that its only 1D6 hits...
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Rugi
Noble
Location: probably still burried under snow after a failed backflip attempt

Post by Rugi »

Black horror was already one of the best spells in the old book, now it´s just incredible! No LoS requirement and no hit on 4+ for not fully covered is a great boost. And sometimes even if you make just one wound it´s enough because the opponent can fail a panic test. Not good against daemons but just great against all others.

If I have to choose, I choose doombolt. Don´t really know why as I think all of our spells are great.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Bladewind
I think the spell is great
But it took the spot of so much better Dominion.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

I don't like word of Pain. It can really turn a battle around however if there is a big important battle going on it will just be scrolled.
It is usually too chancy to get into a combat based upon getting this spell off.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Falconrider
Corsair

Post by Falconrider »

Probly Doombolt due to the 1d6 and short range.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Definately doombolt. the number of times I've rolled 1 hit with that spell....
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Bladewind, not because it's not good, but it's not well detailed and there's too many situation that we need to wait for an FAQ.

Otherwise, Doombolt who was, basicly, tuned down compared to our 6th edition because it's still on 6+ but we don't have our +1 to cast and it didn't changed.
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error
Arhain cynath
Shade

Post by Arhain cynath »

I vote for Doombolt as I prefer the use of Chillwinds and Bladewinds. Others are useful but Horror requires is big score, and at last Doombolt is just a 1D6 hits and it is easily canceled.

I must admint however that this spell forces my opponents to use their scrolls!
My body is dedicated to our King, but my weapon and hatred are dedicated to Khaine!!
- Arhain Cynath, the Red Dragon of Har Ganeth
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

There's no worst spell, only bad timing of the player who casts the wrong spell in the wrong situation.
Patrizzo
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Patrizzo »

asikari wrote:The only problem I had with doombolt in 6th edition was its limited range in a spell list very limited by range. 7th edition has change that.

How has 7th ed changed that? It's the same spell, but now harder to cast due to no more +1 to cast. Doombolt is a pointless spell, one more Strength than Chillwind but higher casting value and no special effect. :roll:
Pulchritudo in oculis spectatore est ...
Mr. tibbs
Shade

Post by Mr. tibbs »

Yeah the new Chillwind is awesome; Doombolt, not so much.

And Dalamar makes a good point about Bladewind replacing Dominion. I miss Dominion. But Bladewind is at least an interesting take on the magic missile genre; we could have gotten stuck with boring old Fury of Khaine...
Matras
Noble

Post by Matras »

I like Bladewind since it is so useful against war-machines. As for the rest - Doombolt is, unfortunately, the least useful one.
If Highelves are a pain in the butt, you are facing the wrong way!
Darkspear
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Darkspear »

i place soulstealer. it is a let down in my opinion. Even though there is an increased range i do not find it to be significant as DE sorcerous could easily get near our enemies easily by dark steeds and pegasuses.

I am very disappointed by the s2 as it meant that we have to roll 5+ to wound for t3 troops and 6's for t4. Soulstealer are our answer to horde infantry and now it can no longer do its duties well. who cares about negating armor saves when most infantry blocks have only a 5+ armor save.
In my land, everyone calls me the darkspear. The most famous spearmen commander of all.
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Lethalis wrote:There's no worst spell, only bad timing of the player who casts the wrong spell in the wrong situation.

I don't think people are saying that Doombolt is a bad spell, its just not as good as the others.

You can rate the spells in terms of their usefulness, and Doombolt is just not as useful as others...
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

but now harder to cast due to no more +1 to cast

... as opposed to being able to crank out more power dice via Power of Darkness and Sacrificial Dagger?

one more Strength than Chillwind but higher casting value and no special effect

More strength, so higher casting value makes sense (and only +1 isn't too bad) and has as much special effects as any non-shooting unit would be affected by Chillwind other than that the former hits with less strength.

I stand by my statement.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Word of Pain is pretty useless in my oppinion, the other spells can cause far greater damage.

And I for one happen to like Doombolt!
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I agree that Word of Pain is at the bottom. It's good sometimes, but too situational. Doombolt is a high-strength magic missile. Nothing wrong with that ...
Truly These are the End Times ...
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

I don't think Word of Pain is too situational. Either casting it in a combat to tip the odds in your favour (not necessarily a great spell but casting it early gives your opponent something to think about) or making Handgunners, Thunderers etc. shoot as BS1 can be rather effective (not to mention making an opponent's repeater crossbows shoot twice at BS0 or so :P). Really, the only unit this spell isn't effective to use on is Zombies.
Valvet
Shade

Post by Valvet »

The spell i voted for is Bladewind, it may be a good spell, but i'm never going to like it. It took the place of Dominion, which was one of my favorite spells.

It offered so much more than Bladewind, and with the focus familiar it's short range would not have bothered me anymore.

I'm also a bit disappointed by the new Soulstealer, it used to be really devastating espesiallly on T3 units. Killing half a unit of HE spears was just great.

On the other side Chillwind was allready one of the best spells, but with Str 4 it got an additional boost. Just love that spell.
Darkspear
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Darkspear »

Actually i like bladewind as it gives us the ability to take out warmachines even if our warmachines hunters were destroyed early in the game.

Chillwind: s4 is great as now my foes give it more respect and bothers to dispel it now.

Doombolt: still decent in my opinion.

Word of pain: it has always been bad, lol
In my land, everyone calls me the darkspear. The most famous spearmen commander of all.
Zulu
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Zulu »

From good to bad:

1. Word of pain
2. black horror
3. Bladewind (preferred Dominion)
4. Chillwind
5. Soul Stealer
6. Doombolt

The first two are just incredibly powerful!
Dark elves: 2M 1D
Daemons: Two masacres by making my opponent give up...
Lord kalhadron
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord kalhadron »

Wow, it seems like i´m the only one here who really likes doombolt. It´s one of few high strength magic missiles out there and there´s always a good target for it. Great in my book
Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

I've actually always been a fan of Word of Pain, for me it works as a defensive tool, your warriors going to be charged next turn? Word of Pain the charger and watch them struggle to hit. Your black guard looking in the face of a nasty ranged unit, word of pain them and watch them miss like none other.

Add to the fact that it isn't a remains in play spell any more and I think its a great tool at our disposal.

As for the other spells, while I'm not saying they are bad, they just aren't quite as good as the others. IMO doombolt and soul stealer are the weaker spells in the list, however, I still think that they are good ones despite that.