Seiges, doable?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Rdevries
Slave (off the Altar)

Seiges, doable?

Post by Rdevries »

Okay, I'm new to seiges but I've got a seige battle planned with some of my friends.

I'm playing against Brets and Dwarfs, got some green skins by my side and we are attacking. What do I do? Anything I need to know, or some essentail tactical tips would be nice.

Anyway thanks,

Robin
Arhain cynath
Shade

Post by Arhain cynath »

I would like to try 2 hydras, to breathe on the top of walls, and you should bring at least 2 Siege Towers to attrack Canon balls and hide partially your hydras from arquebuses.

use Shadow Domain to speed up your units to reach the walls and event teleport a caracter on top of the walls!

try to have one Dark Magic caster to spam missiles on defenders because the Heavy Cover is bad for your bowmen. Save their points to buy attackers and a Dark Magic Sorceress.

Don't forget: Bladewind may clean up a warmachine of its crew!
My body is dedicated to our King, but my weapon and hatred are dedicated to Khaine!!
- Arhain Cynath, the Red Dragon of Har Ganeth
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

As attacker, stock up on harpies! they are invaluable to taking down those pesky rampart defenders.

Druchii have no means (no reliable means at least) of taking down walls/gates so don't bother.
Get witch elves with ladders, corsairs with ladders and maybe a unit or two of execs with ladders

Remember that wall assaults don't count anything but kills, so heroes on those ladders can make the difference between winning and losing an assault.

Generally flying attacks is your best bet as a Druchii. Single master on a pegasus is able to take down the defense of a wall section (if they have no heroes themselves there), but you can't forget about taking proper infantry as well because anything with fly special rule is unable to conquer castle quarters.

Considering you have greenskins to support you you can ignore the infantry, let them take care of it while you clean the walls of dwarfs. Brets will probably ride out to meet you... or I have no idea, they aren't very castle defensive army.

So in general - send your harpies to the towers to take care of war machines, send pegasi heroes to deal with any shooty dwarfs. If there are archer peasants then even harpies can take care of them. Once you have the walls the game is 90% won, just make sure you do it fast.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

It would help if we had some info on how everyone's list works.

Here is some general advice though. Use the greenskins numbers to your advantage. Put all the gobbos and squigs in the front in an attempt to get the dwarven gunline and trebuchets to concentrate fire on them. Squigs are immune to psychology so they won't run, and if the gobbos run, it doesen't matter, because of the 'size matters' rule. Keep in mind that this may not work perfectly because of LOS from high walls. If your allies night gobbos have fanatics in them try to get them close to gates where the brettonian knights will be leading sorties out of. When the horde gets to the wall, have the greenskin general declare a waagh, so that his orc blocks can effectively engage the enemy; make sure that the orc player is using his numberical superiority to his advantage, though, because dwarves and bretts are both very effective at combat.

While da greenskins are doin all da dirty fightin, your army needs to be covering your weaknesses and exploiting the weaknesses of the enemy. For example, Harpies need to be flying over the walls and at least tying up war machine crews. If you have a dragon and/or pegasus master, it needs to be destroying war machines and killing characters. If you have COK, executioners, and/or hydras they need to be counter charging bretonnian sorties. If you go magic heavy choose either dark or metal. I would personally choose metal just because it negates all those pesky armor saves that dwarves and bretts have.
Rdevries
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Rdevries »

Okay I already see some helpfull stuf thanks!

oh and here are MY units, I haven't made up a list yet.

20 Spearmen
12 Crosbowmen
5 Dark Riders
10 Corsairs
5 CoK
6 Shades
10 Black Guard
1 War Hydra
1 Reaper Bolt Thrower

1 Mounted Supreme Sorceress
1 Supreme Sorceress on foot
1 Mounted Dreadlord
1 Dreadlord on foot
Lokhir Fellheart
1 Assassin

oh and a un-mounted sorceress..

As you can see my force isn't that variated or large yet,
probably better to get some harpies right? haha...

Edit: Shadowblade's also at my disposal, forgot about him. Man, he really is that good
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

What Siege rules are you using?
Truly These are the End Times ...
Rdevries
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Rdevries »

Probably the rules out of the 6th edition rulebook
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Ah yes. Those siege rules were truly excellent and fun to use. Was kinda ticked when they didn't update them in the 7th ed, but I guess they were perfect the way they were.

First off, you may of come up against the worst possible combo to go against. :D But don't lose heart. :) Your opponents will most probably have their dwarfs hold the walls, while they'll deploy Bret knights out the front of the castle to impede most of your units. However, you have Orcs and Goblins on your side which is a really good combo. As Orcs have no flyers (save Wyrverns), your Orc friend will be relying on you to clear the walls of defenders (or at least have them weakened before the assault).

As you have Shadowblade, make sure you deploy him amongst a War Machine crew (make sure it's a dwarf war machine) so you can easily get rid of one War Machine at the start of the battle. Then proceed to move Shadowblade around the ramparts, attacking the flanks of the defenders. However, you can either leave Shadowblade up on the ramparts and have him wait until your forces reach the wall and start to ascend. Because, either your opponent will ignore Shadowblade, or he'll move his troops off the ramparts and go for Shadowblade, leaving the ramparts undefended.

RBT's will be crucial and Hydra's can take care of the gate if you don't have a battering ram.

Remember, use your magic wisely on those Brets, it will be pointless on Dwarfs because of their natural resistance to it. Also make sure that you have someone with good leadership close to the Orcs so you don't have mass panic tests on your hands when the Orcs and/or goblins start fleeing.

Another tactic I've had particularly good experience with is having a Manticore with Master fly up to the tower on the second turn (I hide him just behind some woods before flying him out) and take out a War Machine, I then use flyers against the rest of his troops while my ground units take the missile fire and eventually reach the wall.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Rdevries
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Rdevries »

Khel wrote:Ah yes. Those siege rules were truly excellent and fun to use. Was kinda ticked when they didn't update them in the 7th ed, but I guess they were perfect the way they were.

First off, you may of come up against the worst possible combo to go against. :D But don't lose heart. :) Your opponents will most probably have their dwarfs hold the walls, while they'll deploy Bret knights out the front of the castle to impede most of your units. However, you have Orcs and Goblins on your side which is a really good combo. As Orcs have no flyers (save Wyrverns), your Orc friend will be relying on you to clear the walls of defenders (or at least have them weakened before the assault).

As you have Shadowblade, make sure you deploy him amongst a War Machine crew (make sure it's a dwarf war machine) so you can easily get rid of one War Machine at the start of the battle. Then proceed to move Shadowblade around the ramparts, attacking the flanks of the defenders. However, you can either leave Shadowblade up on the ramparts and have him wait until your forces reach the wall and start to ascend. Because, either your opponent will ignore Shadowblade, or he'll move his troops off the ramparts and go for Shadowblade, leaving the ramparts undefended.

RBT's will be crucial and Hydra's can take care of the gate if you don't have a battering ram.

Remember, use your magic wisely on those Brets, it will be pointless on Dwarfs because of their natural resistance to it. Also make sure that you have someone with good leadership close to the Orcs so you don't have mass panic tests on your hands when the Orcs and/or goblins start fleeing.

Another tactic I've had particularly good experience with is having a Manticore with Master fly up to the tower on the second turn (I hide him just behind some woods before flying him out) and take out a War Machine, I then use flyers against the rest of his troops while my ground units take the missile fire and eventually reach the wall.

Sounds good thanks! I knew shadowblade could mess things up for them, but I was wondering if I should take a Bolt Thrower with me or not...? Can it even hit anything? What about crossbowmen?
Rdevries
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Rdevries »

oh and, what is the best defence against their flaming attacks? My hydra doesn''t really like those, as he can't regenerate when wounded by flaming attacks...

what to do, just rush in and hope for the best?
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

We don't really have any defence against flaming attacks, killing whatever is breathing the fire however is usually the best bet. :D

Are you expecting a Dwarf Flame Cannon?
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Rdevries
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Rdevries »

Khel wrote:Are you expecting a Dwarf Flame Cannon?

Unfortunately, yes
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Harpies!
Harpies are your friends. Turn 2 - no flame cannon (at worst it will be stopped from shooting, at best the harpies will eat the crew)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16