tattoo questions

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

tattoo questions

Post by Kinslayer »

my 18th birthday is almost here now and it will mark my 8th year in the games workshop hobby, and i intend to show it with an 8 pointed Chaos star! I was considering the tattoo for a long time now, and have still to decide exactly how big and where i want it to go. I decided to post up as i have never had a tattoo before to find out what price you think it would cost be to have either of the below:

i want it in black not this green colour btw

A - very small on my wrist, perhaps 2 inches diameter
B - larger on my right arm, 5 or 6 inches diameter
C - around 5-6 inches again on my chest over my heart

which one will be best and how much will each one roughly cost?

I intend to pierce my left ear soon too with a black stud and i found a local place which will do peircings for £6.50 and tattoos from £25+ depending on size, location, design, colours etc. As my design is very simple and a single colour, do you more experienced tattoo-bearers reckon i could get the small wrist design for the minimum price? I wont have much money to spend on the tattoo!

I've also been considering a second tattoo for a while on my opposite wrist of a sword stabbed through a heart with a scroll wrapped round it and my girlfriends name on it. Again only a few inches in size, though this one would have both black grey and red on it in terms of colours, and probably take longer to create. Any ideas on the price im looking at here? I doubt i will get this one until after me and my girl move in together, which shouldnt be too long now, just in case, but i definately want it!

Thanks for your help
:twisted:
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I'd just say be careful about girlfriend's name tattoo :P unless you're sure it's serious relationship ;)
Otherwise you'll be stuck with picking girlfriends with same name.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

haha, yeah i already got that advise from all my friends including one covered in tattoos "stay away from girls names" they keep saying. I am sure its very serious, but even if something did happen i dont see why i wouldnt want her name on my wrist afterwards ;)
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure of your tattoo prices...
If I was getting a chaos star, personally I would get it on one of my shoulders or on the shoulder blade. But for you, I think putting it on your right arm will be best.
If you go for the wrist, I hope you have pain tolerance...

It's cool you're getting a tattoo man, but DO NOT get your girlfriends name on yet, no matter how much you love her. I've been with my Girlfriend for over 3 years and I still wont get it done. I suggest you do the heart/dagger/scroll tattoo, but leave the scroll blank (or even off completely) and add her name later for something special, like a big anniversary or engagement.

That's my bit. Tattoos don't hurt that much unless they are on boney places (top of the foot/hands) or if you have a lot of muscle in one area. I started a dragon on my leg, but I have big leg muscles, so it really hurt, I'm taking it in a few sessions to make it easier for me. I'll post my tattoo when it's finished if you post yours!

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

sure thing about posting the pics! And yeah, good idea for missing the name out for now, thanks. Would make a cool tattoo even without the name for a few years i guess. We have been together 1 year but should be moving together soon and whatnot. As for pain tolerance, not really a problem here so i guess i could get the wrist design. And since that one will be cheapest it is the idea i am leading to the most so far.

later on in life ive also had ideas for a larger tattoo on my arm of either a dragon, tiger or reaper etc (the usual...) so it may pay to leave my arm blank just in case i go ahead with that idea and need the room!
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

I can only agree with those warning about tattooing your girlfriend's name onto your body. You'll never know what life will bring with it. I am reluctant to get a tattoo myself because it's pretty much permanent unless your rich enough to have it lasered off which means I'm impressed by those who actually dare doing it - be sure to post pictures!

As for where you want it - I'd go small at first (who knows... maybe at some point you will hate GW and the star will remind you of it - very similar to the girlfriend-thing) because you don't know what it is like to have a tattoo unless you have one (if that makes any sense ;) )

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

thanks again, though i doubt i could ever hate games workshop... *notices price changes*... or maybe i can ;)

point noted though, but chaos in both fantasy and 40k has always appealed to me and has been the best part fo half my life now, so i find the tattoo very fitting.

My only concern now is the prices, anyone else able to help me out there?
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

this is pretty much perfect for what i wanted, minus the words and flowers, on my other wrist. What ya think to that one?
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

Better think twice about the wrist tattoo, that would force you to wear long sleeves in the summer in many business occupations.
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
How to tell apart the elves:
Men run naked - Asrai
Women run naked - Druchii
Don't know whether man or woman - Asur
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

You must remember, the tattoo is going to stick with you forever. I've considered such images such as the Slaanesh icon (yes, and in pink) on my shoulder but I pulled out mainly because in later years to come, people would ask questions.

I like the idea of the first tattoo. HOWEVER. I hope you don't take this the wrong way or anything, but I've heard bad stories about people getting tattoos of their girlfriend/boyfriends name on there body but then a few months later, things don't go so well and they split. I hope you understand what I mean and don't take this the wrong way, but you should really, really make sure you know what you are going to do.

Oh jeez, I sound like my own father... And probably a few other peoples father.... Blimey.

Funny story I heard (yet also sad), a man had his children's names tattooed over his heart but then about a year or two later, he found out they weren't his. :|
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Mereghost
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Mereghost »

Perturabo wrote:I am sure its very serious

Please don't get me wrong, but everything looks serious when you're 18. Hormones are having a party in your head right now, but they'll be watching tv ten years later, and you may not want a lady's name somewhere on your body.

Anyway, the chaos star above looks cool. It may be a nice tattoo.

@Khel: Man we started to behave like our fathers, and it creeps me out.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

just because im 18 doesnt mean its any less serious than it will be in 10 years, and i dont see how you can say otherwise since you dont know us.

And yeah the chaos star looks cool :)
Casual malevolence
Dark Rider

Post by Casual malevolence »

Something else that hasn't been brought up yet, but your stated sizes seem a bit small for the level of complexity in the drawings you presented, particularly the sword-in-heart. I have four tattoos right now, and the smallest one was the skull-emblem of the comic-book character the Punisher, but the ink ran together in the teeth so it looks pretty bad now. The artist warned me of it at the time, but I was constrained by price. Make sure you go over with your tattoo artist proper sizing so that details will remain readily distinct, and not blur together after just a few years.
I'm afraid my mask of sanity is about to slip.
Entreri
Executioner

Post by Entreri »

Like Cathel said, beware of what you wanna do in your live a couple of years from now, people are still offended by tats (stupid but true).

Me I got one arm pretty much filled up plus half my chest and back and part of my other arm, it's pretty addictive :D

It never really held me back in my jobs, being in the navy and now in the graphics area, but still I would suggest going for your upper arm.

Also to see if you really like it or will just stick with 1 or 2.

But it's up to you offcourse, and I started with with the inside of my bottom right arm, no regrets here ;).

As for the price.... just go to a artists that feels right and good, not to the cheaper guy, you'll like it better afterwards.

cheers
With each kill I grow wiser, and with added wisdom I grow stronger.
Eöl
Dark Rider

Post by Eöl »

Think about what you will be doing in 10 years and whether a highly visible and/or unique tattoo is appropriate.

Personally I don't employ anyone with a visible tattoo, ie hands, wrist, neck, face.

With the tattoo artist have any of your friends used the one you intend to employ? Personal recommendations and having a look at the artwork is a good way of deciding if that artist can do what you require.
Forge Games - WARMACHINE, HORDES & Anima: Tactics

'But now the trees of Nan Elmoth were the tallest and darkest in all Beleriand, and there the sun never came; and there Eöl dwelt, who was named the Dark Elf'
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

Why not go for something truly awesome like "Mummy Loves Me" across the forhead.

Main thing to do is bring in a sheet of paper and a pen, hand it to the tattooist and tell them to draw you a picture, any picture by hand. If they can do that, and cleanly, to a decent standard go through with it, main rule being, don't get a tattoo from someone who can't draw.
B*tch elf
Trainee Warrior

Post by B*tch elf »

personally, if i were you i would get a custom tattoo done. You may have to pay extra for the artwork, but then at least you can ensure you won't walk down the streetand see someone with the same tattoo as your own. thats what i did, and i couldn't be more pleased with it

Brad
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

ive also had another idea and one which may be a bit more sensible. Get the chaos star on my 18th because as i said it means something to that date, 18th - 8 points - 8 years of warhammer. It'll be nice. And then, if i want my girlfriends name in some way, get it as an engagement present when ;) that heppens
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

I am also 18 and have been considering getting a warhammer tat done, and sice i've got a mate who does it I could get it for free, however I havn't come across anything yet that I would want on my body for eternity. That said I suggest you think over all the possible ramifications again before you actually have something inked into your skin.
"I have this magic sword, it kills people when you stick it in them"
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

With the tattoo I'm getting done, I had thought of it when I was 14 and waited until I was 18 until I checked out tattoo parlors. Even then I've waited 2 more years until I got it started. I think if you wait that long (more or less !wink! ) and still want it, then you would appreciate it.
Mines martial arts related, not warhammer, but I've considered different warhammer tats before. Unfortunatly I've done too much army hopping to settle on one particular tattoo. I have been thinking of the Great Maw on my shoulder, nut even so, I still need to "sit on it" before I decide to go ahead.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

i have wanted the chaos star design for a few years now, and 18 seems like the perfect time to get it for the reasons given. I will look into the prices and quality of the local places and see what it will be like.
Skaris
Dark Rider

Post by Skaris »

I'm going to echo the comments on whats others have said about think carefully about where you get it done. I got my latest tattoo on my inside fore arm. At the time this didn't effect my job in the police. But now they have changed their policy and aren't recruiting anyone with tattoo's on their hands or lower arms. Fortunatly Met aren't being that crap and I've got into there recently.

As for the GF's name thing. Getting it done once you're engaged sounds like a better idea to me. Somehting you might want to get done is rether her name get something that represents her. One of my GF's had a real thing for butter flies so I was going to get a small one of those done somewhere. Small and out of the way but we'd both know it was there. At the time we'd been together for 5 years and had lived together for 2. A year later we'd split and am now glad I didn't get a tattoo done that would make me think of her every time I looked at it.

Not trying to put you off, it's your body and you can do what you like with it. Just be sure your certain you're not going to regret it 5 years down the line.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Perturabo wrote:ive also had another idea and one which may be a bit more sensible. Get the chaos star on my 18th because as i said it means something to that date, 18th - 8 points - 8 years of warhammer. It'll be nice. And then, if i want my girlfriends name in some way, get it as an engagement present when ;) that heppens

Much better Perturabo. Not getting your girlfriends name tattooed on your arm, doesn't mean you don't think it's serious, so better let it wait for something special. Even the closest of romances can fall apart, so no matter how serious it is, there is always the change that one day you will regret it. Save it. It's not important right now, is it?
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

Also be prepared sometimes for when people ask you what the star means, most will probobly just think its a meaningless tat but some who question may be a bit put off to learn its the sign of ultimate evil on your skin.
"I have this magic sword, it kills people when you stick it in them"
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Demendred wrote: some who question may be a bit put off to learn its the sign of ultimate evil on your skin.

and that is just pure awesome

:twisted: