Assassin Tarpits - Anyone else tried it?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Jarredhtg
Trainee Warrior

Assassin Tarpits - Anyone else tried it?

Post by Jarredhtg »

I have recently gotten back into my DE's after a few years of Chaos, Daemons and Ogres. The khainite units have always been near and dear to me from the 6th ed book and I can't help but always take a Cauldron.

Today it occurred to me that I can now use a lone assassin as a total tarpit unit. And even more beautifully one that won't really block los for me to set up a counter charge.

Assassin + Cauldron = stubborn ld 10
ASF + rune, manebane, hand weapon = almost guaranteed no attacks back

who cares about static res and use him to setup a perfect counter charge.

My assassin is now the one man army I always wanted him to be, brings a tear to my eye
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

I also thought of this, but haven't tried yet. The only thing is that you'd have to watch out for those things that he can reliably kill - nothing that has too many wounds per model or too good saves (not only armor, but also regenreration and ward, althoough against armor and regeneration you can always give your assassin the KB blessing from COB)
Bigalthebrute
Shade

Post by Bigalthebrute »

Look out for fear causing units that outmass you, they are everywhere.
~Big AL
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I have heard this tactic brought up, but haven't seen it used yet. It has potential, but seems a bit too luck driven to me.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

If you are going to try this tactic, I would think about making your Death Hag the BSB as well. It will mitigate that one terrible roll. Alos, you're spending the points on it, so you might as well go all out.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Uman
Cold One Knight

Post by Uman »

I have thought about it too, but also yet to try it.... I was spectating at a tournament the other day and I must say that seeing Zombies forcing a snake-eyes on Longbeards is making me tinker with stubborn tarpits a bit longer in the current VC/Daemon era...

U