dark elves won heat 3

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

dark elves won heat 3

Post by Grez90 »

Hey everyone, just got back from heat 3, sadly I didn't qualify with 2 wins 2 draws and 2 losses, but....
A dark elf army won heat 3 (owned by Alessandro Zerbihi) and was the only person to win all 6 games. With dark elves winning this heat was completely different to heats 1 & 2.
only 2 deamon armies were in the top 10, 5 of them were vamps, 2 dark elves, and a lizardmen player (who I played and was very good).
3 annihalations, 2 table quarters, and 1 table objectives, really was not everyones cup of tea, but it wasn't dominated by deamons, but very dominated by good vamps lists.

Those caps in the title will only get you a lot of unwanted attention (usually from mods...) - avoid them in the future please.
- Anderson
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Woah!

Mighty good news, those are :) Its great to hear that the golry of our nation has been spread! Goes to shoe that the Druchii can manage and win without being that cheesy..

Congratulations on your games, too! 2-2-2 isn't shabby at all, you can be sure that D.net is proud of you :)
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

Congratulations on your games, too! 2-2-2 isn't shabby at all, you can be sure that D.net is proud of you

Agreed 2-2-2 isn't bad at all considering it's the GT, congrats :P
Any idea what the winning Druchii list looked like?
Grandmaster ej
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Grandmaster ej »

I was 6th with my dark elves, i did us all proud :D

5 wins and 1 loss

vamps - annihilation - win
vamps - objectives - loss
dark elves - annihilation - win
dark elves - annihilation - win
daemons - table quaters - win
empire - table quaters - win
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

yeah he had a lvl3, bsb, 36 rxb, 12 shades, 10 dark riders some other stuff, but wait for it....
4 ASSASINS, as they are not classed as kill points in annihalation.

Agreed 2-2-2 isn't bad at all considering it's the GT, congrats

you say that, but I managed to not play any vamps or deamons :?
My list was tooled to face deamons and anti magic lists so I was a bit dissapointed that I faced none.
I faced lizards (annihalation - lost), brettonians (objectives - lost but would have won except we only got 3 turns in and I messed up), a thorek gunline (annihalation - won but I don't know how), dark elves (annihalation lost to 'visp' from druchi.net, was a great match up), teclis with high elves (table quarters - won), and high elves again (table quarters - drew but should have won but for my opponent being very grumpy for losing to visp in the game before).

So I managed to beat 2 very nasty character lists and drew 2 that I should have won, but for silly mistakes, so in my head really I won 4 lost 2. look for my battle reports in the coming hours/days.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

the winning list was more or less:

sorceress (possibly supreme I guess)
RoH master
10 crossbows with shields
10 crossbows with shields
14 crossbows with shields
5 dark riders with crossbows/musicians
5 dark riders with crossbows/musicians
9 shades
4 assassins with 2nd hand weapon, rending stars and manbane

List had nothing going for it except for 4 assassins... yet somehow won. I'm still confuzzled about it.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Master of arneim

Post by Master of arneim »

He was an italian player, so he'll probably post on our national main site. I'll report some information on his match when he'll write.

Congratulationss gretz, it's never easy getting something off from a big tournament.
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Slortor

Post by Slortor »

grez90 wrote: dark elves (annihalation lost to 'visp' from druchi.net, was a great match up)

i found his army a bit of a sod to beat at annihilation as well :)
played him on thursday to warm him up and he crushed me...

did he roll very well? always does against me :(

congrats regardless
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

he killed my lvl4 with pendant in the last turn with magic and shooting, meaning he won 10-7, however if I saved him and caused 1 more wound from my magic on his shades (poor rolls) I'd have won 8-7, and seeing as our lists were identical, he finished 17th, so I was gutted, as I thought I could finish where he was lol.
The winning list I thought was absolutely rubbish hes got 53 shots hitting on either 4's or 5's normally, so I cannot see where he would kill anything that has a mass of models( no offence to the guy who won it, he played well), but I just cannot see how he would beat any kind of vampire list, which is why I'm stumped. I really wasn't happy with 3 annihalations, I personally think it should be 2 of each though.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Well, he won, kudos to him after all.
But I'd hope to face him in the finals and see how his 4 assassins do then :P
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Visp
Corsair

Post by Visp »

grez90 wrote:
dark elves (annihalation lost to 'visp' from druchi.net, was a great match up),

Yeah really good game that went to the wire. Last turn I threw everything at the high sorceress and finally managed the last wound needed. Pendant is great until you're getting hit at short range by RxB's!! nice setup by Grez90 with a magic defence 'ring'... black guard 11in behind two units of spears with sorceresses... He could cast out as they were 13-14in away from the ring but any magic against the units was within 12in.

grez90 wrote:high elves again (table quarters - drew but should have won but for my opponent being very grumpy for losing to visp in the game before).

Yeah he was really really hacked off that I beat him... but then he did only have 4 units above US5 for table quarters... and two of them were 10 man spearmen blocks!... they disappeared in turn 2 and it was curtains.

Overall a great weekend, played 6 games against 6 really nice, fun people with good lists.

My results:

Final Place 17th - 131

game 1 : Thorek Gun Line - Win 13 - 2 KP
game 2 : Dark Elves - Draw - 2 Objectives each
game 3 : Vampire Bunker - Loss 5 - 6 KP
game 4 : Dark elves (grez90) - Win 10 - 7 KP
game 5 : High Elves - Win 4 - 3 quarters
game 6 : Vampire combat list (Von Carstain SC lord, 2 units of Bloodknights) : win 4 - 3 quarters

The story of the weekend was how close I came to not qualifying. I needed a win or a draw to qualify. My opponent thought he needed a win (actually only needed a draw) so he went for me. By last turn I had his two quarters and one of mine, he had one of mine. All he had left was Von Carstein and 5 bloodknights. He had 2nd turn....

so he has 7 dice and starts to do 1 dice raises. If he'd got 2 off he'd win. I had 4 dispel dice and no scrolls. He starts rolling...

5 - dispelled with 2 dice
6 - he gets it and takes back one of his quarters (i.e contested)

and thats all folks... Karma!!
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

yeh visp played well and deserved to qualify, I was very unhappy about not putting my sorceress far enough away, a draw would have left us both needing a win, wish he'd have thrown the game now..grrrr. I got to aggressive and took his shades down to 1 model AAARRRGGHH. Then as soon as all his mages and dark riders came round the corner, I first of all thought damn, hes gonna fiery blast/conflaguration of doom my hydra and pick off the beastmasters with shooting, but when he said on the mage, I was quite relieved, until I remembered that I never got soul stealer cast, he wounded with an unbelievable amount of shots, and it went to the last dice roll. I could have won 8-7 drew 7-7 or lost 10-7, and atleast one of my 2 losses was literally to my own army lol. Although I'd never thought I'd say my own army stopped me from qualifying lol.

I looked at where he finished and 17th is damn good, but I thought seeing as we had the same lists (virtually) I would have finished where he did, I was very upset lol. plus I would have had a great magic defence against those bloody vamps, and I'd have loved to charge those bloodknights and get word of pain on them lol.
Visp
Corsair

Post by Visp »

Unfortunatley you wouldnt have played the guy I got on game 6 because of VP's and points.

When we played I had a Win / Draw / Loss 41pts, and you had loss / loss / win 32pts. But you were at the top of the 32pts bracket on VP's, I was at the bottom of the 41pts bracket on low VP's. So you'd have played a different list on game 6.

It wasnt a tough list to beat.... the only issue was the fact that having outplayed him and obliterated his army down to 6 models he could have won with cheap single dice raises!!.... now that would have hacked me off!!.
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

no mate I had the same as you 41pts, I finished both days on 1-1-1, I probably should have played for a draw against you, so that we could have both got through.
Visp
Corsair

Post by Visp »

ahhh I see, sorry read one of your posts wrong! then yeah you probably would have faced him.

For those who are curious I had:

L4 on Pegasus w/ Pendant & Focus Familiar
L2 on Steed w/ DSC & Scroll
L2 with Scroll & Sac Dagger

20 Spearmen w/banner
5 Riders w/mus & Rxb
5 Riders w/mus & Rxb
10 Crossbowmen
5 Harpies

6 Shades
6 Shades w/ Assassin HW, Cloak, Rending Stars, Manbane

2 Hydras
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

yeh I should have taken the game to you more, thinking about it now, I should have left the hydras to take out your right side and moved my main block around towards your mages and shades. but hindsight (spelling) is a wonderful thing.
Count zero
Cold One Knight

Post by Count zero »

Had a good time this year. had a dual hydra, dragon + Manti list

Was up on table 9 for my 5th game, but a loss vs Doc there (who finished 3rd) and then a draw vs beasts in my last game meant i ended up 49th so just missed out. but it way better than i have ever done before, finished W3,L2,D1. my best before had been W1 5L!!

My other loss was also to DoC in the 1st game, really should have beaten beast in the last game. but i had never faced them before and didn't know their capabilities and was a little too cautious and it cost me.

the Qualifying armies were:

DoC 12
VC 10
DE 9
Skaven 3
Liz 2
Dwarfs 2
HE 2
TK 1
Empire 1
Brets 1
WE 1
and 1 unknown
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
Slortor

Post by Slortor »

so still a lot of daemon qualifiers but not placing that highly?

interesting....
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Visp
Corsair

Post by Visp »

Count Zero wrote: i ended up 49th so just missed out.

Im not entirely sure how it works but with the top 45 going through if any of the guys who got tickets from painting contest / bloodthirsty general etc awards were in the top 45 will there places not carry over to the guys in 46, 47, 48 etc?

So at 49th is there a possibility that you might sneak in? Not sure but its maybe worth checking?

Oh and most hilarious comment of the weekend goes to a Daemon player. One of my club mates with a balanced VC list was playing a guy on the lower tables on day 2, the guy had Kairos, Blue Scribes and 2 tzeentch heralds list. He turns to my mate and says...

'have you seen some of the filth lists people people have brought?'

erm....

'I saw one that had 15 powerdice.. my list isnt that cheesy'

erm....

he managed to actually keep a straight face!!
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

Well done, Ginger Fox. Looks like it wasn't a daemon fest apart from the tamplinator. lol.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Count zero
Cold One Knight

Post by Count zero »

Visp wrote:
Count Zero wrote: i ended up 49th so just missed out.

Im not entirely sure how it works but with the top 45 going through if any of the guys who got tickets from painting contest / bloodthirsty general etc awards were in the top 45 will there places not carry over to the guys in 46, 47, 48 etc?

So at 49th is there a possibility that you might sneak in? Not sure but its maybe worth checking?

Well i was thinking about this at the time as definitely some of the winners in the painting comp made it through by place (did they give 4/5 tickets from that?), and you'd expect the guy who got most VP's to have done so as well, but they didn't say anything about it at the time so i assumed not. unless they might contact me at a later date about it?
Visp
Corsair

Post by Visp »

Assuming everyone who got awards also got a ticket...

There were 5 for painting
1 for blood thirsty general (most VP's)
one for Bloodiest general (least VP's)
one each for closest draw
one for... well they didnt say but we can assume sportsmanship

thats at least another 10 tickets. Assuming they all got tickets... cant remember. I'd ask... just incase.
Count zero
Cold One Knight

Post by Count zero »

Visp wrote:
one for... well they didn't say but we can assume sportsmanship

Yeah i took this one as the award for being a friend of the organiser ;)

The way the awards were going I thought we all might get one :)
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

lol thats given me a great idea, I might go to next years GT and get no kill points, no victory points, finish dead last with straight 0's and 6 losses, and qualify, how funny would that be if I lost every game in heats, but won at the finals.
Grandmaster ej

Post by Grandmaster ej »

I had a great weekend, played 6 cool people, the scenarios kept it interesting, instead of just pitched battle after pitched battle....

My heroes of the weekend were my black guard, never failed me and must have racked up something like 150+ dead models over the weekend
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.