2250 Black Ark from Karond Kar (close combat list)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lasthobbit
Executioner

2250 Black Ark from Karond Kar (close combat list)

Post by Lasthobbit »

I like the corsairs and hate the enemy's magic phase. So, that is the main points for my list.
What do you think, the main theme (Black Arc from Karond Kar) is done, or I still have to do something with this army list?

Dreadlord @ 233 Pts
General; La; HvA; SDC
Null Talisman x 3
Cold One

Master @ 142 Pts
GW; HvA; SDC; BSB
Ring of Hotek

Sorceress @ 150 Pts
Lv 1
Dispel Scroll x 2

20 Black Ark Corsairs @ 225 Pts
FCG

20 Black Ark Corsairs @ 225 Pts
FCG

5 Dark Riders @ 117 Pts
Rxb; Mus

5 Harpies @ 55 Pts

5 Harpies @ 55 Pts

5 Harpies @ 55 Pts

19 Black Guard @ 342 Pts
FCG
Standard of Hag Graef
Tower Master have Crimson Death

9 Cold One Knights @ 298 Pts
FCG
Banner of Cold Blood

1 War Hydra @ 175 Pts

1 War Hydra @ 175 Pts

Total Army Cost: 2247

BSB is going with the BG unit, corsairs - on the flanks of BG. Hydras moves on flanks of corsairs. COK and raiders - on the edges of the board. Harpies moves straight forward to destroy warmachines and to try to marshblock the enemyes.
BG - is an anvil unit, COK + Lord = hammer. Sorc - scroll caddy (armybook says that Black Arks is a magic "creatures", so I think I can take a sorc to the board).
Opponents: Emp, Dw, DoC (Tz, Kh), Liz, WE, O&G, Scav.
That's the idea. Can we beat them and gain the pleasure from the game, Druchii, what do you think?
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
Master of arneim
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Master of arneim »

I hate corsairs (because awesome but really under any other choice) and love the enemy magic phase (yes, I've the ring so I'm ready for some double). :D

I'd lay down some null talisman, maybe giving them to the Cok champion. About them, why don't you split this unit in 2 of 5/6 elements? It would be a way better in my opinion and it reduces the incidence of stupidity.

Corsairs are ok (if you like them)... maybe you could drop a pair using a 6x3 formation, gaining a couple of attacks in the first rank.

Then if you really enjoy getting into hth combat I strongly suggest the use of the cauldron.
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Borog
Beastmaster

Post by Borog »

I agree with splitting up the CoK, the hammer wont be much use if it's too busy drooling in your deployment zone. It will probably go around and hit in the flank to support the hydra or BG, and then two smaller units would allow you more versatility and would ensure that at least one of them makes it into combat.

Apart from that I really like the list, and I would be dead scared of it if I played against it ;)
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

3 nulls might be overkill - but could be interesting in such a big CoK unit

I would make the BG 21 or 18 models, 3x6 or 3x7 models.

Rather have the extra attacks than one extra rank with models that cant attack.
Sure that is one safe CR point, but 2-4 extra attacks can get you more than one, and if one model dies, you lose the whol rank bonus.
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Lasthobbit
Executioner

Post by Lasthobbit »

To Master of Arneim and Borog: 2 units of COK are better. Yes, you are right. But according to the main theme unit of COKs is a general's bodyguard, elite, most trusted warriors. I just could not to take 2 units of them.

To Master of Arneim and Kheel: thanks! Of course 3*6, corsairs and BG! So it will be possible to take a unit of shades with GW... Wow. I like how it sounds - "shades with GW" )) (-40 for corsairs, -33 for BG, -25 Crimson = 5 shades and some points to use. I'll think about it, thank you!)
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
Master of arneim

Maybe you can consider getting less coks, 6/7 would be ok for a great bodyguard, so you could get the ring of darkness with your dreadlord: ring of hotek, null talisman and ring of darkness sound like a really good defence for an elite unit as you intend it.
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Lasthobbit
Executioner

Post by Lasthobbit »

To Master of Arneim:
Still thinking about size of COK unit...
9+1 general = 20 US. It will be enough to autobreak almost every not-ITP unit in the game because of Fear and hopefully outnumbering. Unit of 5-6 models have not this ability.
According to the RoD: it is a really great tool, but it is a Talisman too, so I could not take it with RoH or NT. Sad but true.

To All Druchii:
Now my list seems to be:
Dreadlord @ 236 Pts General; La; HvA; SDC; Sh
Null Talisman * 3
Cold One

Master @ 142 Pts GW; HvA; SDC; BSB
Ring of Hotek

Sorceress @ 150 Pts Lv 1
Dispel Scroll * 2

18 Black Ark Corsairs @ 205 Pts FCG

18 Black Ark Corsairs @ 205 Pts FCG

5 Dark Riders @ 117 Pts Rxb; Mus

5 Harpies @ 55 Pts

5 Harpies @ 55 Pts

5 Harpies @ 55 Pts

17 Black Guard @ 291 Pts FCG
Standard of Hag Graef

9 Cold One Knights @ 298 Pts FCG
Banner of Cold Blood

5 Shades @ 90 Pts GW

1 War Hydra @ 175 Pts

1 War Hydra @ 175 Pts

Army Cost: 2249
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
Connz
Warrior

Post by Connz »

I understand your hate of your opponents magic phase but your own is really suffering with only one lvl 1 wizard. I think you may have gone over the deep end with the magic resistance(3 null talismans!).Like almost everyone else is saying split the the CoK into 2 units.Because of how much people hate them they are likely to be public enemy number 1 and will recieve alot of fire i imagine. As soon as that unit is bogged down and flanked you would have lost a highly expensive unit and the general.Splitting into 2 groups makes it harder as they will bother be attacking from different angles and this will be hard for your opponent to beat imo.Asides that little prob the list looks good
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I think you have too many harpies and not enough Dark Riders. Two units of each would be better than the 3-1 ratio you have right now.

Also, I think the unit of knights is a bit large. You could decrease the size of the unit by 2 and have almost enough poitns to sub a unit of Dark Riders for one of your harpy units. Or even if you don't want to switch in a unit of Dark Riders, you could decrease the number of knights and actually add effectiveness by taking a magic banner (War Banner or Standard of Slaughter).
Truly These are the End Times ...
Lasthobbit
Executioner

Post by Lasthobbit »

to CoNnZ: I have not mentioned: it is a list of "Captured magic" series, so my Sorc will go with the 12" range of RoH and she would not cast spells - the Dread Lord don't trust her and every spellcaster in the world. I think that MR3 reflect it well )

to Dyvim Tvar: To split the COK's I need to drop the 5 harpies and Cold-blood-banner. It is possible... but something stops me. ) May be I just hypnotized by so-o-o big COK unit?
I can repeat to you all, friends, many times: thank you all for smart advices but I like this size of COK's unit and I understand that the much more effective sizes and combinations exists. I just take responsiblity on itself. 10 COK's stands. Dixi )

About DR's: Sadly, but I'm quite unexperienced to use DR well. Harpies much more easier to play with. And in the end - it is a Karond Kar, harpies must be present in enormous amount )

What about 2 hydras? Is it playable combination, who have used it?
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
Lasthobbit
Executioner

Post by Lasthobbit »

Geez... only now (thanks for the Druchii.net Search engine) I mentioned that in august I had played a game vs TZ forces with a quite simillar army (minor changes - Warriors + 2 units of DR becomes 2 Corsairs unit, another combination of magic items and only 2 harpies units)... sorry. Really sorry for posting a list that I almost have played with.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
Master of arneim

According to the RoD: it is a really great tool, but it is a Talisman too, so I could not take it with RoH or NT. Sad but true

You cok champion has a slot of 25 points that is enough for a null talisman...
Norngahl
Warrior

Post by Norngahl »

If you hate your enemy, use 2 hydras close to each other :twisted: In a pair they bring it up to 14 strengh 5 attacks, 12 strengh 3 rendending attacks with hatred.. thats the most hart hitting unit in the DE book.. Regeneration on the hydras are quite funny, because in all of my games NONE died^^ (exept the one that was killed by a killing blow from an bretonian lord).

Give the Pendant of Kaeleth and the soulrender to the master in the Black Guard. For 35points you got the best ward defence in the whole game, and for 15points you got strengh 6 with a -4 on enemies armor save.

But please, split the CoK in two units. Once I played with 9CoKs+ Character as well. Every time they died, because the enemy focussed attention on them. As well, You pay 145 Bucks for a second row that does nothing... Its better to let them fight as a seperate unit.

I Love harpies as well.^^

Cosairs are quite fair. They are durable against light enemy shooting and usefull in CC as well.

Drop the Xbows on the DR. As you mentioned, they die easily. I nearly ever loose all of my DR during battle, the 25 points for shooting most times 3 strengh 3 shots that hit.. well.. its a waste of points. Just buy a few more shades.
Borog
Beastmaster

Post by Borog »

Norngahl wrote:If you hate your enemy, use 2 hydras close to each other :twisted: In a pair they bring it up to 14 strengh 5 attacks, 12 strengh 3 rendending attacks with hatred.. thats the most hart hitting unit in the DE book.. Regeneration on the hydras are quite funny, because in all of my games NONE died^^ (exept the one that was killed by a killing blow from an bretonian lord).

You can't KB a hydra.

Mine rarely dies as well, had one flee from CR, but that's not going to happen if you plop two into the same combat! That's just brutal!! :D
Norngahl
Warrior

Post by Norngahl »

Of course the Hydra can be killed by KB from a bretonian lord with the ability to KB large targets (40 points I guess it was)
Borog
Beastmaster

Post by Borog »

Oh, didn't know they could do that :P
Evil bretonnians.... :x
Lasthobbit
Executioner

Post by Lasthobbit »

Norngahl, soulrender sounds like a good idea... Ward... I have not enough points for it. Especially if I'll do like almost all of you says: (split COK)!
Yes. Evil Bretts. But now in 7-th ed they says that We are evil )

Thanks for hydras-using explanation and I'll think about dropping the xb for DR... Usually they shoots on enemy's light cav, but in this list LC is a not a problem.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~