Question about Dark Elf Army List

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Vutall
Trainee Warrior

Question about Dark Elf Army List

Post by Vutall »

Hello all, I was wondering...
Is it possible to have a competetive army WITHOUT using harpies or dark riders?
I have over 5k points in Dark Elves, but I own neither of the said units, and im short on cash at the moment. So, what step would I take? I have over 100 warriors, 80+ corsairs, 2 hydra's, 25 COK, 6 RBT's, and a ton of hero's and lords...So what do you think would be a viable list? Or is having Dark Riders and harpies a staple for an effective list?
Tarantino
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tarantino »

You don't have to take them, but I do think they are a must in a dark elf army
They are, especially harpies , very cheap and very, very useful.
These to units make that dark elves can outmanouvre almost anything.
For harpies, you can use witch elves if you don't play in a tournament.
There are many ways you can buy dark riders or harpies without spending a fortune on blisters.... and I find 10 dark riders and 10 harpies enough for 2 k, in a balanced army.
If you have them, you can build almost any list you want with that amount of models...
There is no word for coward in druchii language...
Notts
Cold One Knight

Post by Notts »

There is probably a new DR plastic box coming out in january- so just wait till then.

Or convert glade riders.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

you don't really need them... but the fact is, that it would make for a very different army.

First you'd have to field more shooting than most. I'd say 3-4 units of crossbowmen and 4 bolt throwers, to take care of enemy fast units, or they'll make you feel the pain of being slower.

pegasus master could serve instead of a unit of harpies, but it's a little expensive.

and make sure the rest of your army hits hard. CoKs are a good choice ;) with heroes.

That way you have shooting to deal with you opponent's fast elements, and hard hitting to deal with his combat units. And in case he doesn't have the fast part, you're still unloading 80 crossbow bolts per turn coupled with 24 bolts. Not too shabby.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Connz
Warrior

Post by Connz »

having a dark elf army without harpies or dark riders as dark elves live off of speed
Tigtoad
Hydra Lord

Post by Tigtoad »

If you're going totally without due to finances, I'd go with a shooting/magic gun line and keep a hydra and probably a chariot or two around for support when they do reach your battle line.

ON that note, I tried to order harpies from my local retailer and he told me that when he called GW to get them they have been moved to mail order only... that makes no sense to me unless they are:

releasing new harpies or reboxing the harpies in 5s .. either way, I'd expect to see something harpy related in January.
Enfant terrible
Cold One Knight

Re: Question about Dark Elf Army List

Post by Enfant terrible »

vutall wrote:Hello all, I was wondering...
Is it possible to have a competetive army WITHOUT using harpies or dark riders?

Check put the recent winner of Baltimore GT - he played without any Dark Riders: A unit that often is thought of as a DE cookie cutter unit.

Look here: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=58822
"... Why so serious? ..."