Making a more defensive Druchii army?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Endra divini
Shade

Making a more defensive Druchii army?

Post by Endra divini »

I have played many different druchii lists but I have yet to take a defensive type one. What do you think should I take to make a defensive druchii list.

These are the ideas I have currently.

-Dreadlord
-Armour of living death
-Cold one (so the negative of the armour won't make a difference anyway)
-Ring of Darkness
-GW
-SDC
-Shield

2 scroll caddies

Master
-Pendant
-Heavy Armour
-SDC
-Shield
-Soul Render

Core

2x23 Shield spearmen

2x6 harpies

2x12 RXB
-Shields
-Mu

5 COK
-command
-Standard of Slaughter

19 BG
-command
-Hag graef banner

What do you think I need?

cheers
Endra the corrupted

WS 6
S 3
T 3
D 4
I 4

Image: Tall and Lean.
His black armour leaks with a searing dark due.
And over his back is a cloak of which speaks to him of his past for he himself had long since forgotten it.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

I dislike saying whether an army is good or bad. I don't play the same foes as you do. So I will pose a few questions to you instead.

1)Where will the sorceress' hide? You don't want them in the units with the heroes otherwise they will just give up CR easily.
2) With only 2 real combat units, you will really need to maximise their abilities to do well (in other words, not neccessarily a bad army, but one that will require a fair bit of skill to use well).
3)2 spear units and 2 crossbow units make this army fairly fragile and not very hard hitting. Will you be facing a lot of t4 and good armour? If so, you probably need to add some more high strength in there somewhere.
4) Only the harpies and CoK have any real speed. Will this be a problem for you? Do you face heavy cav armies?

Finally, your army will probably look very nice on the battlefield with all those elves.
Elfik
Assassin
Location: Victoria, BC, on the Western shores of the New World

Post by Elfik »

What kind of defensive are you looking for?
Against certain armies the Pearl of infinite bleakness for an ItP spearmen unit is an idea. You have good leadership(Dreadlord) and very decent magic defense. But you could have heavy magic instead, with good defense and offensive magic to kill ennemy support. Our rare choices are good defensive units but you didn't take any.
People say "insert problem" but it's better to say "insert improvement"
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

I don't think DE are designed to be best played defensively. You'd be best to tailor your list to your regular opponent from what it seems.
Enfant terrible
Cold One Knight

Post by Enfant terrible »

I agree with the common reservations regarding the "non-defensive" nature of the druchii - I think you are missing out on the druchii's main force by tweaking your army defensively (but as you write you've already run your army offensive) ...

I'm wondering though - where are your Cauldron (which will help out immensely in prolongated combats) and where the hell is your Reapers?
Last edited by Enfant terrible on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"... Why so serious? ..."
Endra divini
Shade

Post by Endra divini »

Was going to add 2 reapers and a hydra but ran out of points. (I play 2000)
Endra the corrupted

WS 6
S 3
T 3
D 4
I 4

Image: Tall and Lean.
His black armour leaks with a searing dark due.
And over his back is a cloak of which speaks to him of his past for he himself had long since forgotten it.
Bele
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Bele »

Dropping the scroll caddies for a cauldron of blood, and put ring of hotek in there somewhere, 1 unit of 20 or 25 spears instead of 2 units of 23 would free up some points for a RBT.