Chaos Runeshield

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

tmr
Executioner

Chaos Runeshield

Post by tmr »

I just got done playing my second game with a WoC player who was using this shield with there lord. What it does, if you do not know is negates all magic weapons in B2B contact and makes them mundane. Which meant my DL with his cool Chillblade was just banging on armor with a very expensive toothpick. Sorry to go on a small tangent but I was reading about the PoK and whether or not it was fair. Well the only way I stayed in combat was because of it… but I digress. So there is no way of knowing that its there so I need to plan for it one is a fluke, two well that means the secret is out. Anyone had any success against this? Any suggestions?

Thanks tom
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Chaos fighty characters, Vampires, Dwarf characters and a couple others...
Are characters you *do not* at any cost engage in combat. It's fighting on their terms, and Dark Elves do no fight on anyone else's terms.

Hit his unit in the flank and break it before he gets a chance to strike back.

Shoot them to bits from afar not giving them chance to hit back at you.

Anything but engaging them in combat (unless you're planning to tarpit the character while you're setting up a trap)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Borog
Beastmaster

Post by Borog »

Or if you end up in combat, try to make it be an assassin, as they are tooled up for battle with no magic weapons. Although that could just end up with one very dead and expensive assassin.
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

My DL with the PoK ended up being the tarpit for 3 turns then, breaks and run off the table with the Chaos Knights w/ Lord. Once Chaos Knights returned they run into the waiting arms of my WEs w/ Assassin. The assassin was challanged by the unit hero - unit hero gone. WE gone next... which leads me to a question of tactics. if I issue a challenge I can not specifiy who I want to attack or challenge with my assassin? I know I should read the rules but I'm ot sure where i would look.

thanks again

tom
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

No you cannot. Any character or unit champion in the opposing unit can accept the challenge. It's how we protect our sorceresses.
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

got it and thanks

Thanatoz wrote:No you cannot. Any character or unit champion in the opposing unit can accept the challenge. It's how we protect our sorceresses.
Jarredhtg
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jarredhtg »

cauldron grants KB, all you need to do is get a bunch of hits with hatred and roll the 6. It's your best option besides an assassin with KB and rune.
Creedence
Dark Rider

Post by Creedence »

My solution to this is a Dreadlord on foot with the PoK, Armor of Eternal Servitude and cheapo armor penetrating great weapon. Place him in the mandatory unit of always strike first Blackguard. So the ruin shield makes it a mundane great weapon if they have it. If not you still hit hard.

Works great vs vampires too.
Lord Admiral, Creedence Vendral, Commander of the Black Arc Murderous Pride.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

A Potion of Strength would not be effected by the Chaos Runeshield. A strength 4 character would be strength 7 with just a hand weapon or strength 9 with a lance. With Chaos lack of a decent ward save, that should put a hole in him. And a Cauldron with killing blow if you want even more fun!
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

I guess the problem with that is you only get on shot at him with the PoS and if you miss your screwed.

So I'm wondering if its a DL tooled up with mega armor like Armour of Darkeness or AES, go with AoD and PoS with GW maybe throw in Blk Dragon Egg to cause more damge unless the BDE is considered a magic weapon, but I would argue its not, or Ring of Darkness to reduce his ability to kill me.

As far as a Master Blood Armour and PoK with a GW and see who kills who first or just tar pit him...

phierlihy wrote:A Potion of Strength would not be effected by the Chaos Runeshield. A strength 4 character would be strength 7 with just a hand weapon or strength 9 with a lance. With Chaos lack of a decent ward save, that should put a hole in him. And a Cauldron with killing blow if you want even more fun!
Last edited by tmr on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Black Dragon Egg is an enchanted item, so why would it be considered a weapon?
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

phierlihy and i belong to the same game club and we've been have a number of interesting discussions about weapons both magical and non-magical. So the remark was mostly for him.

Dalamar wrote:Black Dragon Egg is an enchanted item, so why would it be considered a weapon?