2.25k Flying Horror

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lathain
Trainee Warrior

2.25k Flying Horror

Post by Lathain »

Well, my smaller lists often circulated around my mobile force of 3 Dark Pegasi combined with a swarm of Harpies and a strong firing center.
This list has had some succes and now I thought i'd amp it upp to 2.25k.

Now, i've always wanted to try out a some big beastie like a dragon in my lists, so I thought i'd include one in this. But, this means my list kinda has to circulate on backing him up, and for that I got ome serious amounts of Harpies and some mobile Pegasi heroes. To this i've added a strong core of 30 RXB-men and 16 Shades for some proper backup. To top it off I threw in 2 Hydras for some serious punch.

But, I fall 78pts short. And I don't know what to add. The thoughts go between another unit of Harpies, some more Shades or dropping some shades and throwing in a CoC.

Help is required...

Dreadlord
Lance
Shield
Armour of Eternal Servitude
Sea Dragon Cloak
Pendant of Khaeleth
Black Dragon

Master
Caledor's Bane
Shield
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak
Dark Pegasus

Master
Deathpiercer
Shield
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak
Ring of Hotek
Dark Pegasus

10 Repeater Crossbowmen
Shields

10 Repeater Crossbowmen
Shields

10 Repeater Crossbowmen
Shields

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

8 Shades

8 Shades

War Hydra

War Hydra

//2172pts

Thanks in beforehand ^^
Tjd
Corsair

Post by Tjd »

I will say right now that i give you a lot of props for doing a list like this, i dont think it would be something I could pull off. Its just ridiculous how fast everything will be, and just 2 units of harpies is annoying, i couldnt imagine 6!

But the only problem that i have with the list is that you have basicallly no magic defense, just the ring. I know it helps a lot, but dispel scrolls are so nice...
soo maybe you can take out a unit of harpies, and just plop in a scroll caddy?

EDIT: Or maybe im wrong and you dont need the magic defense... I mean where would you put her, and the harpies could take out mages pretty well....
just do some playtesting, and it'll work itself out. :D
Lathain
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lathain »

Thanks man ^^
And yes, I was hoping AMD (Active Magic Defence) would work quite well to make upp for the lack of Scrolls and Dd, with RoH backing that up.

But it's still sensitive of course. Pesky stuff with ASF will give me trouble to take out mages (He's anyone? :roll: ) and such. Harpies will for example simply perish from during a suicide charge into a unit of any HE infantry.
But, if they can't kill them, they can always block LoS ;).
That is to me one of the more effective ways of using Harpies as magic deturents (sp?). If you keep your general close for thoose panic tests they should be ableto greatly reduce the damage on your army from most spells.

In lower pt's levels they work as perfect screens for my Pegasi for example. In fact, they're kind of meant to be shoot and zapped so i'll get the charge in next turn ^^. 55pts to safely get your Pegasus behind the enemy and into his war machines seems like a fair deal to me ^^.

But, I still have some pts to spend and I don't know what to do with them...
So all the help and comments you can muster are welcome ^^
Uriah
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Uriah »

If it were me I would drop one unit of shades thereby giving me 206 points to play with. I would then add 2 cold one chariots to hang back with the Crossbowmen and nail anything that approaches.

Personally I think COC are one of the best values in the book (2nd to harpys of course). I the case of your army, they would let you push forward with the majority of your force without having to worry about the protection of your crossbowmen as the COC provide a solid counter-punch.

And as a general rule I think that COC always work better in pairs.

Hope this helps,
Uriah

P.S. Now you only have 6 points to dispose of :D.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Lathain
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lathain »

That sounds like a good suggestion ^^

I have a match starting soon and I think i'll try that out ^^
Uriah
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Uriah »

Let us know how it goes. I love reading a good battle report :D
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Switch crossbows for dark riders, add 7th unit of harpies and you have my 2k flying circus HtH army :P
(no shades though, only 2k ;) )
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Brokenstone
Cold One Knight

Post by Brokenstone »

Just hope you don't come up against a fear causing army, namely VC, cause whilst you can use them to block line of sight and march block, it doesn't account for their value. when the chance of getting them into combat is almost never.
Lathain
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lathain »

Yes, fear causers will be a problem IF they're not in range of my generals leadership. I guess i'll see how they work against them now. Fighting OK at the moment ^^

But with the adjustments, the list stands as this:

Dreadlord
Lance
Shield
Sea Dragon Cloak
Pendant of Khaeleth
Black Dragon

Master
Caledor's Bane
Shield
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak
Dark Pegasus

Master
Deathpiercer
Shield
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak
Ring of Hotek
Dark Pegasus

10 Repeater Crossbowmen
Guardmaster
Shields

10 Repeater Crossbowmen
Shields

10 Repeater Crossbowmen
Shields

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

8 Shades

Cold One Chariot

Cold One Chariot

War Hydra

War Hydra

//2249pts

I actually like it ^^. There will be a hell of a lot of Harpies to fix though ^^
Mmckeddie
Assassin

Post by Mmckeddie »

personally i'd drop 1 shade, the guardmaster and the lance on the dreadlord which should (i think) give you enough points to give him the crimson death.
Death becomes you
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Personally I wouldn't take the Chariots, as they really aren't that fast and very subject to stupidity. Also they will have trouble breaking many units on the charge.

I would drop them either for Knights or Dark Riders.

Otherwise this list looks like a lot of fun for you but perhaps not so much for your opponent.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Lathain
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lathain »

Ok, almost one match finished with this list now. This time against Empire.
I would have to say it works like a charm.
The Masters on peggies can roll upp a flank if neccesary, all on their own.
(Something i've learned though is not to think one of them can take care of some Knights on their own. Even if there's just 5 of them :P...)
The dragon soars up flanks and spreads terror in it's wake.
Harpies take care of all the nasty shooting and such.
The RXB-men soften up infantry, shoots down fast cav and sometimes direct their power at the enemy shooting.
The CoCs can either stay close to the RXB-men as rear-guard, or zoom ahead with the two Hydras.

During the match i've also encountered quite a nasty trick. By combining a War Hydra with a dragon, we can make quite a nasty storm of fiery death...
By flying up the dragon behind the enemy, slightly angled, and marching the Hydra up on the front, slightly angled, we can essentially cover a whole unit.

When we combine the (hopefully) high streangth hits of the Hydra's breath weapon with the special effect of the dragon's, we can cause some serious havoc. And at the same time feel kinda safe.
For best work you should combine this with a unit of harpies blocking up the units front, therefore blocking their LoS and charge opurtunities.

What i've noticed with the army is the importance of keeping out of shooting and what Cannon-magnets the CoC's are. Wich I truly don't mind :P. It seems as chariots make players with cannons go "Oh, i'm over S7 so they'll die quickly". Wich is all fine by me. I'm even alright if one of the chariots bite it in the first turn. The Hydras will be on the enemy in the second turn, and then they'll be able to cause way more damage than the CoC ever could.

I still have a match going on with Ogres though, so i'll soon know how it fares against a Fear causing enemy ^^

Cheers ^^
Tigtoad
Hydra Lord

Post by Tigtoad »

I really, really like the idea behind this list. I have a hard time with no magic defense, I go up against a lot of high magic missle armies and the harpies would be chewed up.

A level 1 scroll caddy on a peggy can kill a war machine on a good day. But, you have a chance to charge and kill anyone.. I really like it.

I agree on crimson death for the general though
Kamahl
Dark Rider

Post by Kamahl »

I really wonder what you opponents face looks like when you unpack unit after unit after unit after unit of harpies :P

Looks like a pretty fun list to play
Nice and Easy might not always do the trick, but at least it doesn't end up splattered against some wall.
Lathain
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lathain »

Most common are faces going blank like "Seriously?..." ^^

The phrase "Are you done yet?" have been mentioned. Also the "It makes me want to scream" have been heard.
Kind of used to it after a using my 1.5k WE list a couple of times. Had 4-5 units of 8 Dryads :P. Forgot to place down a unit during a match, the face on my opponent when I told him was priceless ^^
Lathain
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lathain »

So, now this army has completed a full match against Empire, loosing a grand total of, (wait for it)... 7 Harpies! And that's from different untis so no full unit got killed. And this was facing a army with 2 Wizard, 2 Cannons and 4 units of shooters.

Impressions are for instance the lack of effectiveness of the Ring of Hotek against lower level magic and that Dark Pegasi Master should be used cautiously ^^.

Well, atleast a first Massacre for this list, and we'll see how it turns out agains OK ^^.
Lathain
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lathain »

Now, i've done a light revamp taking some of your advise. I felt like the Dreadlord could really need that S6 in the following rounds, if he would sadly enough get bogged down. Here's the list ^^:

~The Perverted Nightmare~

Dreadlord
Crimson Death
Shield
Sea Dragon Cloak
Pendant of Khaeleth
Black Dragon

Master
Deathpiercer
Shield
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak
Ring of Hotek
Dark Pegasus

Master
Caledor's Bane
Shield
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak
Dark Pegasus

10 Repeater Crossbowmen
Guardmaster

10 Repeater Crossbowmen
Guardmaster

10 Repeater Crossbowmen
Guardmaster

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

Cold One Chariot

Cold One Chariot

7 Shades
Great Weapons

War Hydra

War Hydra

//2250pts

Any thoughts? ^^

Thanks ^^
Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

Looks like a really nasty list! I definitely wouldn't want to play against it. My only question is that against a magic heavy army you are pretty much forced to run the flying characters together which hampers their tactical abilities somewhat. Or do you do something else?

Keep us posted for battle reports, looks like a very interesting army and one I might even play someday because it looks cool.
Jcitalia4
Beastmaster

Post by Jcitalia4 »

im curious to know how this list has fared so far
Cade Thanal (TN: Gaelus Stormscythe) (Group 38 warrior)
WS3 S4 T3 D4 I5
Equipment: Light Armor, Short Sword, Repeating Handbow (9/10), Helmet, Asur Short Sword, High elf Mage-prince pelt, Lion pelt cloak, Sword belt with gold buckle and sapphire, 10 gold
Skills: Disguise

Dolan Steelshorn
WS4 S5 T5 D3 I2
Equipment: Glaive, medium armor, shield
Skills: Endurance

Taldein, the Draich'Arha (CC Thread)
WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Equipment: Draich (EP4), Helmet (EP1), Pendant
Skills: Power of Ulgu (1)
Godless-mimicry
Noble

Post by Godless-mimicry »

The first list was better. You could do with some magic defense though.
-Godless-

Tally:

New Chaos Warriors W12 D0 L3

Dark Elves W8 D0 L0
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I would drop 4 units of harpies for 2 units of 5 dark riders with crossbows. They are multi purpose units that can break ranks and combo charge with the dreadlord, nobles, or hydras for some damage.

To place so much focus on your harpies is sure to bring dissapointment.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com