Hiding mounted models behind/in infantry units

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Irtehdar
Assassin

Hiding mounted models behind/in infantry units

Post by Irtehdar »

Im currently out of town and out of reach of a BRB and is talking game stuff with a local.

I believe that I can shield my Sorc on a DS or peggy behind infantry/harpies because neither is large targets.
The local guy believes that because my sorc is mounted she can be targeted even though behind infantry.
This extends onto mounted characters inside infantry units. I believe only stuff like hochland longrifles can target a mounted char in an infantry unit. The local guy disagree.

Can anyone clarify the rules here for me and add in what page in the BRB its on so we can easily look it up when we get our hands on a BRB.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

You are correct on both counts. For line of sight purposes everything is the same height unless it is a large target. This isexplained on page 9 of the brb under "interposing models".

There used to be a difference in 6th ed, but now there isn't.
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Hiding mounted models behind/in infantry units

Post by Calisson »

Irtehdar wrote:I can shield my Sorc on a DS or peggy behind infantry/harpies because neither is large targets.
Correct. BRB p.9: troops block LOS, except if it is a big target behind normal size troops.

because my sorc is mounted she can be targeted even through behind infantry.
Wrong if the mount is normal size (Pegasus...). Being mounted does not increase the size, unless the mount has the rule "Large Target".
On the other hand, she cannot target the enemy above the troops.
Right if the sorc is mounted on a Large Target.

This extends onto mounted characters inside infantry units.
Here, being an eligible target depends on the number of wounds (and wings) of the mount and the size of the unit.
Be aware that mounted monsters could join units, even infantry (BRB p.58, monsters can never join other models except when they are mounted by a character)... UNLESS the monster can fly (BRB p.72: a character mounted on a flying monster cannot join any unit). So the ability to join a unit depends on the presence of wings :?
When a non-flying-mounted character joins a unit (as explained p.72, i.e. it can never join a monster, a single chariot, a flying unit or another character), he NEVER can be targeted as long as there is at least 5 ordinary models (BRB p.74), i.e. not even the champion is ordinary according to some GT convention I've seen.
Exception, if a mounted character has a Unit Strenght of 5 or above (which happens if the mount has 4 or more wounds), the rule above is discarded and the enemy can choose between the unit or the character.
The rule "Look Out Sir" is used for template weapons or canon-like shots, that could aim at a specific model.

only stuff like hochland longrifles can target a mounted char in an infantry unit.
Correct, unless the mounted character has a "Unit Power" of 5 or above, BRB p.74

As a summary:

Targeting through (i.e. above) a unit:
Mount is Large Target? => it can be targeted through a normal-size unit (including cavalry).
Mount is not a Large Target => it cannot be targeted through a normal-size unit (even snotlings ;) )

Targeting inside a unit.
Mount is flying? => it cannot join a unit.
Non-flying mount has 4 wounds or more? => it can be targeted inside the unit.
Non-flying mount has less than 4 wounds and the unit has less than 5 ordinary models? => it can be hit (EDIT thanks to Ant): the hits are distributed evenly between each model and randomise all the odd hits.
Non-flying mount has less than 4 wounds and the unit has more than 4 ordinary models? => it cannot be targeted.

This covers all possible cases.
Funny consequence:
If GW created a 3-wounds non-flying mount with the rule "Large Target" (unlikely), it could be targeted behind some cavalry, but it could not be targeted in the first row of a 5 infantry block :?

Off topic:
This was my 500th post. Dedicated to you, Irtehdar.
:oops:
Last edited by Calisson on Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Melikai the wicked
Black Guard

Post by Melikai the wicked »

So just out of curiosity can a model/mount with the fly ability join a unit of flyers i.e. morithai or a vampire with fly ability?
From the Frozen Peaks of IronFrost, Arises the Eternal Servent of Khaine
Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

The BRB specifically states a character on a flying mount cannot join a unit of flyers.

If the character itself had flying movement, I don't see why not.
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Because he is not allowed to either.
Flying units cannot be joined by anything.
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Non-flying mount has less than 4 wounds and the unit has less than 5 ordinary models ? => it can be targeted.

No, it can't. In this situation the hits are randomised (well almost; actually hits are distributed evenly between each model and randomise all the odd hits).

Irtehdar
Assassin

Re: Hiding mounted models behind/in infantry units

Post by Irtehdar »

Thankyou everyone... That more than covers all I wanted to know.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Just to clarify though, A flying mount can join a unit but only another unit of Flying Mounts.

So as far as I know, Pegasus knights are the only unit in the game in which a Character mounted on a Flying Mount can join another unit.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Just to clarify though, A flying mount can join a unit but only another unit of Flying Mounts.

So as far as I know, Pegasus knights are the only unit in the game in which a Character mounted on a Flying Mount can join another unit.

No it can't. Units of flyers (ie peg knights) can never be joined bycharacters of any sort, and characters on flying mounts can never join a unit of any sort.

Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

No it can't. Units of flyers (ie peg knights) can never be joined bycharacters of any sort, and characters on flying mounts can never join a unit of any sort.

I've been duped!

Cursed bretonian players =P

Thank you for that clarification Ant.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.