2000pts Double Black Guard List

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Skilgannon
Cold One Knight

2000pts Double Black Guard List

Post by Skilgannon »

Hi Guys my friend has been strugling getting a dark elf army that works for him so he is trying a list based on a list I used with another type of elves pretty effectively. I'd thought I would post the list up here to see if there is any further advice. He played me once and lost to my combat dwarves but was really unlucky with his spell rolls otherwise he probably would have won.

Cheers in advance

Supreme Sorceress: L4, Dark steed 2 dispel Scrolls, focus familiar: 353pts
BSB: Hydra Banner, Shield, GW, Heavy Armour, SDC: 199pts

5 Dark Riders: RXB, M: 117pts
5 Dark Riders: RXB, M: 117pts
26 Warriors: CSM, War banner: 190pts
5 Harpies: 55pts
5 Harpies: 55pts

14 Black Guard: CSM, Null Talisman, Banner of Murder: 257pts
13 Black Guard: CSM, Null Talisman, Banner of Hag Graef: 254pts
5 Cold One Knights: CSM, Ring of Hotek: 200pts

2 Bolt throwers: 200pts

1997pts

I suggested swaping the cold ones for a hydra. Also I was wondering about getting rid of the hydra banner for the pendant of khaleth + 25pts from the cold ones and droping a couple of spearmen for a unit of shades.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I don't think you will need two scrolls if you are also taking the ring of hotek. That leads to my next suggestion. Be careful and keep your lvl. 4 away from the ring. Also, if I mount a lvl. 4, especially with the focus familiar, I would take a dark pegasus. She is far more maneuverable.

What is with the 26 warriors? Why not 20 or 25? If you drop a dispel scroll and 6 warriors, you can get another unit of harpies.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Skilgannon
Cold One Knight

Post by Skilgannon »

What is with the 26 warriors? Why not 20 or 25?

Nine points left with nothingelse to spend them on. Once you're over 20 it doesn't make a huge difference what number you have.

Problem is hotek can't go close to the black guard without making it hard for the sorceress to cast effectively. Therefore Hotek's ability is reduced and maybe isn't worth it if the cold ones get swaped for a hydra. In any event the scrolls are well worth it to stop 2D6 S4 that come through as they would cause real issues to black guard. 3 Dice have a good chance of getting through against hotek.

I can see the dark pegasus idea but I don't know if he would have time to sort the model out anytime soon. I think he has also been pondering swaping the familiar for the tome of furion to help him get the right spells. Pegasus + Focus is a pretty vicioous combo as well he might not want to take it.
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

I would change the BSB to a cauldron as it does the same job but can affect the whole battlefield. Good the level 4 is on a DS so he can avoid the ring.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Waerik
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Waerik »

I agree with Mitch, the cauldron does the same job, can do it to multiple units, can do it for multiple rounds of combat, and can choose to ad KB or ward save instead of attacks.

I would however want to keep a cheap BSB in the army, since BG goes from a 1/6 chance of breaking to 1/36 :twisted: .

I personally run my BSB on foot with 24 spearmen, it makes for a very vicious unit, with a grand total of 6-7 CR.

The BSB I would recomend is: master, bsb, gw, armour of darkness 134pts

26 Warriors: CSM, War banner: 190pts

They really should have shields IMO, it does make a huge difference.

13 Black Guard: CSM, Null Talisman, Banner of Hag Graef: 254pts

I would personally go with CD rather then null talisman, it really is incredibly powerfull when combined with ASF.

5 Cold One Knights: CSM, Ring of Hotek: 200pts

I much prefer the knights over a hydra if he do get a cauldron, the +1 attack is really deadly, I would howver prefer a naked unit, i.e. five with no upgrades.

Supreme Sorceress: L4, Dark steed 2 dispel Scrolls, focus familiar: 353pts

I personally don't like her, IMO; a single level four is not a sound investment unless you get either the black staff, or sacrificial dagger.

I do understand why he takes the focus familiar, it is however possible to either scrap the ring, or to simply keep her more then 12 away from it.

2 Bolt throwers: 200pts

I am not a big fan of bolt throwers anymore, not with our improved crossbows, I would much rather have 10 crossbowmen with shields, and five shades with GW's then two balista.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]